House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AteMoose

Looking For Work..

I know quite a few people from slovakia and poland and according to them the low paid jobs market is pretty grim. There is alot of competition for jobs, and finding a job is now alot harder than 1 year ago. The agencies and companies have long lists of people waiting, and most on the lists have a polish surnames. My gf who is slovakian brought her sister, her mum and two of her friends over to work in the uk to earn a little extra over the summer and they were all struggling to find work thankfully she has found some work after looking for weeks and weeks but i dont think its just because its the summer. There are almost no 'spare' jobs going anywhere in the city.

Gf was also talking to a polish friend on how she got her job so easily, the polish girl said she had given the large recruitment uk agency girl a 'gift' and she should do it. Seems like some of the common corruption is now in the uk, because of the deperate jobs situation over this summer and belief that this is the norm.

Is this jobs problem just in my city or does anyone else have any similar stories from relatives/friends?

Edited by moosetea

To an extent. I think the trouble really centers on looking for low end jobs, where you are always going to get stuffed over and no one will stand up for their rights.

Blag your way into a major company as a graduate trainee or whatever. Sorted.

I know quite a few people from slovakia and poland and according to them the low paid jobs market is pretty grim. There is alot of competition for jobs, and finding a job is now alot harder than 1 year ago. The agencies and companies have long lists of people waiting, and most on the lists have a polish surnames. My gf who is slovakian brought her sister, her mum and two of her friends over to work in the uk to earn a little extra over the summer and they were all struggling to find work thankfully she has found some work after looking for weeks and weeks but i dont think its just because its the summer. There are almost no 'spare' jobs going anywhere in the city.

Gf was also talking to a polish friend on how she got her job so easily, the polish girl said she had given the large recruitment uk agency girl a 'gift' and she should do it. Seems like some of the common corruption is now in the uk, because of the deperate jobs situation over this summer and belief that this is the norm.

Is this jobs problem just in my city or does anyone else have any similar stories from relatives/friends?

Looking for work is so 20th century. Live off the state, why work when u can live for free.

The UK is moving toward recession. Loss of jobs is part of the picture now and it makes sense that it will be broad based and not just confined to manufacturing. With most consumer money headed into mortgages and other housing costs there is less discretionary income to spend in "the shops" or where the lower paid casual jobs are especially now that MEW is getting more expensive.

Came across a similar tale myself last week. A polish friend called to see if I knew anyone who needed a cleaner, as here brother had recently come to Brighton [usually lots of casual/summer work in bars, hotels, cleaning etc] and was finding it impossible to find work. She said that last year, she could have a choice of work, now everyone is saying there is no work going at all.

To an extent. I think the trouble really centers on looking for low end jobs, where you are always going to get stuffed over and no one will stand up for their rights.

Blag your way into a major company as a graduate trainee or whatever. Sorted.

Errrr, are you living in cloud cuckoo land?

I graduated in 2003 and the majority of my contemporaries who I remain in contact with are either 'finding themselves' or temping. I tried to get into these graduate schemes for city jobs and it's like winning the lottery - literally. That's why I had to set up my own business.

Many graduates leaving uni are going on law conversion courses because there are not the jobs about.

BTW, I needed a full time cashier and one p/t for a new shop I'm opening, paying £6 p/h. Anyway, I was deluged with 'applications'. I hired the fittest girl obviously but it struck me how most folks are literally potless.

I couldn't care what anyone else says about this "miracle economy"; we're in the early stages of a recession NOW, no doubt. :blink:

I couldn't care what anyone else says about this "miracle economy"; we're in the early stages of a recession NOW, no doubt. :blink:

I've got to ask, why are you opening a shop before the 'recession'?

I've got to ask, why are you opening a shop before the 'recession'?

It's a turf accountants :D

Many of my family members in the rag trade/property are liquidating themselves as I type.

It's a turf accountants :D

Many of my family members in the rag trade/property are liquidating themselves as I type.

Brave!

Don't most of them get training contracts though?

Great post, btw

Well there were the jobs around BEFORE every classics/politics/history/english undergraduate decided to pile into the law conversion course. Now would be barristers can't even find a pitifully paid position in Chambers and posts for trainee solicitors are like gold-dust.

All this higher education is a waste of time (I speak from experience). Do your A levels, get a job, then start your own business (nothing like being your own boss; cliched I know but true). G_D, I wish I'd done that instead of messing around for 4-5 years :angry:

I've been banging on about this issue for months, my head hurts.

There were supposedly 600,000 unfiled vacancies prior to opening up of the labour markets, where are they now or how many are there? Inward migrantion in itelf will actually create pro-rata a requirement for a few more jobs, not many though but what happens when 500,000 migrant workers say deplete the pool of available jobs by 300,00/400,000? Not rocket science.

Just wait till Polish workers themselves are being undercut by the next wave of EU entrants.

This is a recipe for creating a jobs market at the bottom end (causal labour, temp, short term working, agency work, lower skilled etc) thatthis as every bit as bad as that of the early 90's, if not worse).

Maybe the govt. is beginning to miss the tax or getting worried, see reports of proposals for fining directors of firms that hire illegal workers, this group can be absolutely caustic in its effects on existing businesses, basically outpricing those businesses becuase no tax is being paid and very low wages are paid.

It seems to me that in IT at the moment there seems to be a big polarization occuring. If you've got 5-10 years experience, there's quite a lot out there. If you're fresh into the industry, it's a struggle. Could be getting crashy.

I know.. the thing is..

We are to be convinced by those that tell us that there is a massive lack of housing, but an infinate number of jobs for the imigrants..

It's magic you see

Interesting reading, and bears up what my husband is seeing in London.

He's looking for minimum wage-type jobs and is having no luck at all. Last year he didn't have any trouble, but now there doesn't seem to be much around.

At least he'll feel slightly better if I tell him lots of others in the same position & it's not just him!

Don't most of them get training contracts though?

Great post, btw

When the economy crashed last time around plenty didn't get training contracts and were stuck with the debts.