House Price Crash Forum
Webmaster

Fuel Duty Increase In September

The government has deferred the increase in fuel duty twice so far and the next date for the increase is 1st September unless they choose to defer this again.

• Do you think that Gordon will defer this again?
  • Can Gordon keep on deferring this?
  • How much extra is it expected to be on Unleaded, is it 1.9p/litre?

May depend on whether we are over psychological barrier of £1 a litre? They wouldn't risk moving the price over that milestone themselves.

I heard someone say that if they can defer it for a 3rd time they have to cancel it. Is this true? Even if it is then I suppose they just make a bigger rise the next time!

Guest mattsta1964

I heard someone say that if they can defer it for a 3rd time they have to cancel it. Is this true? Even if it is then I suppose they just make a bigger rise the next time!

Seeing as we live in a country which doesn't earn a living for itself and the only way the gov can keep all the balls in the air is to tax people more rigourously, I'd say he might defer a further increase in fuel duty but you can be absolutely sure he will get the extra cash shafting us somehow else

I don't think Tax Gordon will increase duty. He will however introduce a toll charge for entering a petrol station. £1 a time should do it!

Edit:

I forgot my laughing smilies :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :angry:

Edited by Jason

My car is a necessity so I can get to work, it’s not a luxury and it’s time we all spent a day off work protesting about the tax on petrol unless you would prefer working an extra ten days a year to pay for the extra tax they keep putting on fuel.

I bet Blair is on yet another holiday just now, spending the money the ba$tard has robbed from us all.

My car is a necessity so I can get to work, it’s not a luxury and it’s time we all spent a day off work protesting about the tax on petrol unless you would prefer working an extra ten days a year to pay for the extra tax they keep putting on fuel.

I bet Blair is on yet another holiday just now, spending the money the ba$tard has robbed from us all.

I'd bet that that's not how the government sees it though - car travel is not a necessity, public transport is. And if there's no buses for the route you need to take, or at the time you need to travel, well there's always mopeds..... ;)

I use my car for convienance :) I could cycle to work but im lazy.

I wish they would tax them more, its still far cheaper to use a car than most public transport.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5186484.stm

Petrol pump price set to reach £1
Motorist refuelling
The AA fears a rise in duty will inflame diesel prices
A top motoring body has called for government action to prevent diesel breaking the £1 a litre barrier.

I had to pay 99.99p for a litre of unleaded yesterday so an increase to a pound will not be much of a jump!

Not long now before prices start to rise and our old friend Mr. Inflation jumps out of Gordon's basket.

I use my car for convienance :) I could cycle to work but im lazy.

I wish they would tax them more, its still far cheaper to use a car than most public transport.

That's not a lesson in why driving should be more expensive, it's one for cheaper public transport - the cost of public transport in the UK is already exorbitant....

That's not a lesson in why driving should be more expensive, it's one for cheaper public transport - the cost of public transport in the UK is already exorbitant....

Read recently that the UK is the most expensive place on the planet for train fares.

THE Sun showed how the New Year rise in rail fares makes British train travel the most expensive in Europe.

Readers are angry about the increase – which is well above inflation – especially as the Government is supposed to be encouraging greater use of public transport.

http://www.libdems.org.uk/news/story.html?id=9610

NEWS
Britsh railways most expensive in Europe - Brake
24 January 2006
In response to reports this week that the Department of Transport may be considering abolishing many ‘saver’ tickets, figures released by the Liberal Democrats have confirmed that Britain’s railways are already the most expensive in Europe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4574246.stm

Rail fare rises come under fire
Rail passenger groups have criticised above-inflation increases in train fares which have just come into effect.
Regulated fares, which cover season tickets and saver tickets, are going up by an average of 3.9%.
Unregulated fares, including cheap day returns, are rising by an average of
4.5% - but by 8.8%
on one line.

We live in a true miracle economy so you have to expect this sort of thing! What a screaming joke. :angry:

Edited by Realistbear

Hang on! Why should he put up the tax at all? Surely the tax is linked to the price of petrol, or have I got this wrong?

Hang on! Why should he put up the tax at all? Surely the tax is linked to the price of petrol, or have I got this wrong?

There's a fixed duty that is charged, then you pay VAT on the whole lot.

Edit: Duty is 47.1p per litre + VAT @ 17.5% on the total.

So, £1 a litre would consit of 17.5p VAT, 47.1p Duty (64.4p total), the rest is revenue for the oil + petrol station companies.

Edited by Jason

Thank God that Gordon got rid of the Tory 'Fuel Tax Escalator'. This was set at 3% above inflation. So, by now, if those idiots had stayed in power, petrol would be at about £1.25 per litre. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

p

As usual Patprimer, you never let the facts get in the way of a good story. BrownNose has NOT got rid of the fuel escalator. Quite simply, with the already high price of fuel, and the subsequent increase in VAT he has easily decided not to invoke the escalator over the last couple of years.

It's called political expediency, and has nothing to do of course with helping the motorist. It is everything to do with trying to keep himself away from public criticism. He clearly remembers the fuel protests and blockages not so long ago.

Patprimer, you could almost right the scripts for Yes Minister. How you can use the price of petrol to attack the Tories from the mid 90's is astonishing.

I think in a previous life you edited Pravda, the official Russian State newspaper from the Communist era. Whilst little old Babushkas queued in the freeezing snow for their bread and meat rations you would have been celebrating an increase in tractor production in the Urals.

By the way, Pravda means truth in Russian. Just to prove those Ruskies had a sense of humour.

It was amusing to watch the government squirm during the fuel tax protests.

How are Labour performing on their transport targets - I mean the original ones from 2001, not the moved goalposts?

btp

Morning from Devon,

Gordon does not need to put any more duty on petrol and he will use this as a "great Treasury Giveway" in September.

What he will get is the huge corporation tax receipts from the oil companies which will more than cover the increase.

What he may also do is sting the oil companies with a one off raid on the vast profits they have made.

As usual Patprimer, you never let the facts get in the way of a good story. BrownNose has NOT got rid of the fuel escalator. Quite simply, with the already high price of fuel, and the subsequent increase in VAT he has easily decided not to invoke the escalator over the last couple of years.

Hope you haven't missed me too much, Thunderbox, but some of us have to work for a living and put money away in huge pension funds.

When you speak of 'facts', I assume you mean ones like the 1999 Pre Budget Report when the Chancellor announced the abandonment of the evil Tory Fuel Escalator Tax which insisted on an annual 3%+ inflation increase. From 1993 to 1997, as you may recall ( ;) ) the Tory Taxing Party did just that i.e. placed huge additional tax onto fuel without a care about the poor motorist. Strangely, their brown-shirted supporters - the farmers and hauliers - didn't protest, at all, about that. I wonder why? Once they realised that they couldn't win power in the ballot box, they tried violence on the streets - the route of all far-right extremists. (By the way, in answer to the cretin who suggested that the protests worried the government - just check the benefits gained at the ballot box after the event. The British public always rewards those who stand up to thugs, whether they be brain-dead fuel protesters, greedy firemen or blood 'sports' enthusiasts.) I think I'm right in saying that, not only has Gordon Brown abandoned the Tory Fuel Escalator Tax but hasn't even lifted the tax by the rate inflation. I may be wrong.

Returning to house prices. Those who dream of some economic catastrophe to save their bacon or, God forbid, the equally far-fetched hope of a high interest Tory Government are living in cloud-cuckoo land. Affordability is, in my view, the key. Interest rates are likely to gradually rise as will unemployment. So, the market will come in our direction, but slowly. It's quite possible, you know, to be mature enough to support a government on certain things and oppose it on others. It's called 'being grown up'.

p

This constant carping over the cost of petrol only goes to prove how financially illiterate much of the UK population is. Judging by the queues at motorway service stations a lot of people don't even bother to shop around, or better still they scoff at paying a few pence over the odds and then shell out £3.50 on a prepacked sandwich, put the air-con on and open the windows!

On an average car with say a 50-60l tank, a couple of pence will only make £1.20 worth of difference - there are better ways to save money.

Constant improvements in fuel efficiency mean that unless you drive the genuine 'gas guzzler', fuel is not actually very expensive at all. Assuming 40mpg, which is pretty pessimistic for a small-ish car, at 95p/l makes a whopping 10.8p/mile. London to Manchester for under £20. Probably even less if you stick to speed limit. A couple of rounds in the pub? That's as cheap as chips.

The last time I was lazy enough to use a bus here in Exeter it was £4.50 for a return to a village about 4-5 miles out of town. Needless to say the buses are not used by people between the ages of 18 and 60....

Thank God that Gordon got rid of the Tory 'Fuel Tax Escalator'. This was set at 3% above inflation. So, by now, if those idiots had stayed in power, petrol would be at about £1.25 per litre. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

p

This is what Loony-left Labour are about now.

Lies, spin and deceit in craven desperation to cling on to power.

QUOTE(patprimer74 @ Jul 18 2006, 07:39 AM)

Thank God that Gordon got rid of the Tory 'Fuel Tax Escalator'. This was set at 3% above inflation. So, by now, if those idiots had stayed in power, petrol would be at about £1.25 per litre. Correct me if I'm wrong.

p

This is what Loony-left Labour are about now.

Lies, spin and deceit in craven desperation to cling on to power.

Which of these facts do you have trouble with, Tatty? They're pretty simple but I notice you don't challenge any of them.

p