House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hedi

Lets Get Something Straight

THEY ARE NEVER GOING TO ANNOUNCE A HOUSE PRICE CRASH.

get used to it.

speak to people trying to sell at the moment and you find a very different story from that ,that you read in the papers.

for london, read a different country. for in financial terms it is a different country. it has a completely different way of existance. i can tell you that while the rest of the country has had yoy increases for the the last 4 years london has not. then it has sky rocketed this year. sqewing the figures. but take out london and the property market does not look that healthy.

but no one is going to publish a hpc in their papers. dont forget every home owner has a vested interest in there not being a hpc. and thats a lot of vested interests.

get used to it.

speak to people trying to sell at the moment and you find a very different story from that ,that you read in the papers.

for london, read a different country. for in financial terms it is a different country. it has a completely different way of existance. i can tell you that while the rest of the country has had yoy increases for the the last 4 years london has not. then it has sky rocketed this year. sqewing the figures. but take out london and the property market does not look that healthy.

but no one is going to publish a hpc in their papers. dont forget every home owner has a vested interest in there not being a hpc. and thats a lot of vested interests.

And, don't forget a lot of the local papers that rely on all the property advertising to survive - well many of them are owned by the big national media groups - so, as you say, you are not going to read much about house price decreases in any of the media.

Guest mattsta1964

get used to it.

I quite agree. The media is owned by people who are themselves being enriched by the rise in house prices. Debt and extortionate house prices do not exist in the media

get used to it.

Good point. Yes we can argue and counter argue over whether there is/will be a drop in prices but it will probably be only in 7/8 years that the picture is clear.

But I should correct your point "dont forget every home owner has a vested interest in there not being a hpc" this is untrue.

For someone who bought pre 1998 say, a crash would potentially be a positive event (they would be able to afford to "move up the ladder". Also some elderly people may want a crash - My Gran is currently worried about what will happen to her house when she dies - its value is now way above the inheritance tax boundary (which Mr Brown has kindly hardly moved to reflect the price increases (and also changed many of the criteria recently making it harder to avoid - thus making more people pay a tax that previously only hit the wealthy).

I don't think people realise that a HPC could actually be benificial to their long term aims (and I am not just talking about FTB's.

Edited by lulu

Guest mattsta1964

Good point. Yes we can argue and counter argue over whether there is/will be a drop in prices but it will probably be only in 7/8 years that the picture is clear.

But I should correct your point "dont forget every home owner has a vested interest in there not being a hpc" this is untrue.

For someone who bought pre 1998 say, a crash would potentially be a positive event (they would be able to afford to "move up the ladder". Also some elderly people may want a crash - My Gran is currently worried about what will happen to her house when she dies - its value is now way above the inheritance tax boundary (which Mr Brown has kindly hardly moved to reflect the price increases (and also changed many of the criteria recently making it harder to avoid - thus making more people pay a tax that previously only hit the wealthy).

I don't think people realise that a HPC could actually be benificial to their long term aims (and I am not just talking about FTB's.

Yep. A crash is an opportunity to buy a bigger property because proportionately, you don't need to stretch yourself so much to afford a bigger place. That's assuming you still have a job of course......which might not be the case if it gets really bad

The people who will really struggle are those who bought after 2000-2001

dont forget every home owner has a vested interest in there not being a hpc. and thats a lot of vested interests.

NO THEY DON'T - only those never looking to trade up and looking to downside

I want a house that costs £240k but can only afford £200k, have just bought £160k.

50% HPC - current house I want is £120k mine is now worth £80k so all I have to do is use that 40k to upgrade, at the moment I'd be 40k short. The pillocks who've just bought their ftb 1-bed flat seem to boast to their mates my flat has gone up 20k rah-rah not realising the 2-bed house they'll need for the sprog is £40k more.

for london, read a different country. for in financial terms it is a different country. it has a completely different way of existance. i can tell you that while the rest of the country has had yoy increases for the the last 4 years london has not. then it has sky rocketed this year.

What b*llocks are you talking? You are telling us that london experiences no HPI growth from beginning of 2002 to end of 2005? Are you a thicko or something or just can't be bothered posting some numbers to back up your ridiculous claim?

What b*llocks are you talking? You are telling us that london experiences no HPI growth from beginning of 2002 to end of 2005? Are you a thicko or something or just can't be bothered posting some numbers to back up your ridiculous claim?

Fact: London has not experienced anything like the HPi of most of the rest of the UK during the above period.

You should be embarassed by your ignorant post.

get used to it.

You're absolutely right. Same thing happened last crash. Don't think the VIs acknowledged it until the market was picking up again. However, home owners believe they want prices to rise but as others here have pointed out, unless they are selling out, or never planning to trade up they will benefit from a crash like those outside the market. :)

There is one rather unpalatable truth about homeowners. I think that some of them rather like the idea that they are worth money on paper, and don't actually care (for some bizarre reason) if their next step on the ladder is further away. I know it sounds ridiculous, but the people I talk to can't seem to get it into their heads that every time they boast their house has gone up in value, they are likely to need a bigger mortgage to move up the ladder.

It just doesn't get through. I remember the ridicule that Evan Davies got on a website in about 2001 for saying that most people benefit from a lower housing market. I have been trying to fathom out why they think like this - I now think that they just feel more financially secure knowing that they are "worth" a certain amount, and they think it sounds impressive that their house is "worth" more than they could seemingly save in a lifetime.

Hence the Daily Express headlines every single day "House prices go up up up". It depresses me what a complete bunch of fools we really are in this country.

QUOTE"There is one rather unpalatable truth about homeowners. I think that some of them rather like the idea that they are worth money on paper, and don't actually care (for some bizarre reason) if their next step on the ladder is further away. I know it sounds ridiculous, but the people I talk to can't seem to get it into their heads that every time they boast their house has gone up in value, they are likely to need a bigger mortgage to move up the ladder.

It just doesn't get through. I remember the ridicule that Evan Davies got on a website in about 2001 for saying that most people benefit from a lower housing market. I have been trying to fathom out why they think like this - I now think that they just feel more financially secure knowing that they are "worth" a certain amount, and they think it sounds impressive that their house is "worth" more than they could seemingly save in a lifetime.

Hence the Daily Express headlines every single day "House prices go up up up". It depresses me what a complete bunch of fools we really are in this country". END QUOTE.

I completey agree. Was out with a mate who has just struggled to buy a 50% ownership flat. Her so called mate was talking about the area she lives in a less than celubrious part of Bristol where a new bar has opened up. She said that she was plased because house prices would go up. I was so gob smacked I laughed at her. I couldn't believe she was so unaware of the implications of what she was saying.

Higher values make her feel good, even if she can't afford to move anywhere else and all her mates are having to go to these lengths to buy anything. I managed to wipe the smile off my face eventually and kept my mouth shut. In time we will be proved right.

NO THEY DON'T - only those never looking to trade up and looking to downside

I want a house that costs £240k but can only afford £200k, have just bought £160k.

50% HPC - current house I want is £120k mine is now worth £80k so all I have to do is use that 40k to upgrade, at the moment I'd be 40k short. The pillocks who've just bought their ftb 1-bed flat seem to boast to their mates my flat has gone up 20k rah-rah not realising the 2-bed house they'll need for the sprog is £40k more.

Spot on.

My pal just sold for 250K a house he bought for 75K. Bragging about it. New house cost? 400K. Price back then? Around 125K.

So for a house he would've paid 50K more for, he's having to find another 150K!

He shrugs it off as 'inflation.'

Meanwhile, the banks (lending to anyone with a spine) & government (stealth tax through stamp duty) are laughing... <_<

Fact: London has not experienced anything like the HPi of most of the rest of the UK during the above period.

You should be embarassed by your ignorant post.

It still has experienced HPI though.

The flat I am renting in Aldgate sold in October 2002 for 225K.

The flat next door (absolutely identical) sold for £304K November 2005.

If that isn't HPI then tell me what is???

I only said that the original poster should produce figures if they are going to claim that London has experience no yoy gains for 4 years. If that's being ignorant then yes I am and proud of it!!!