House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest UK Debt Slave

Panorama Vat Fraud Prog

Guest mattsta1964

Interesting Documentry on VAT fraud this evening

VAT fraud across Europe now exceeding 100 billion Euros (Yes! You did read that correctly....100 billion Euros!!!!)

10% of the entire UK VAT take now lost to fraud, 100's millions sterling, our money down the swanney

6.5billion's worth of trade in UK in the last quarter alone reckoned to be fraudulent

Inland Revenue hoplessly incapable of dealing with such a huge volume of fruad and now only pursuing cases where there is even half a chance of successful prosecution.

The government is unwittingly financing organised crime by 'giving away' billions in VAT carousel and tax credit fraud.

Governments' response: Waste a few more billions on ID card scheme which will destroy our democracy, freedom and do precisely nothing to prevent aforementioned nastiness

Why why why why...........am I still living here??????

Scuse me while I go and smack myself around the head with a large blunt instrument

I saw this. It made me laugh how they said the export/import figures produced are distorted by this crime. Surely not!

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Inland Revenue hoplessly incapable of dealing with such a huge volume of fruad and now only pursuing cases where there is even half a chance of successful prosecution.

The reasoin they can`t handle it because in the past ten years they have cut back on staff and closed area offices so traders rarely get a visit My mate was a senior custom`s officer working in VAT. He was the senior officer in an area office when the staff received letters for a couple of voluntary early retirements. All eight applied and accepted and the office was closed down and transferred to the main office about 100 miles away, In his last year he recovered £12 million alone in unpaid VAT. The last year in business our area office 3 miles away was closed and transferred to Belfast so the chance of traders in the area getting a visit are probably nil. You would be surprised how many small businesses claim vat back on things which are exempt.

One trader was claiming 17.5% back off HP payments on six vans. :)

Guest mattsta1964

The reasoin they can`t handle it because in the past ten years they have cut back on staff and closed area offices so traders rarely get a visit My mate was a senior custom`s officer working in VAT. He was the senior officer in an area office when the staff received letters for a couple of voluntary early retirements. All eight applied and accepted and the office was closed down and transferred to the main office about 100 miles away, In his last year he recovered £12 million alone in unpaid VAT. The last year in business our area office 3 miles away was closed and transferred to Belfast so the chance of traders in the area getting a visit are probably nil. You would be surprised how many small businesses claim vat back on things which are exempt.

One trader was claiming 17.5% back off HP payments on six vans. :)

VAT fraud must be the easiest way to become a millionaire in history! Even easier and more risk free than dabbling in the property market! :D

I wonder how easy it would be to bill the NHS with a spurious invoice and get paid. I bet there's plenty of that going on too. All you need is an insider in their accounts department. I bet there are a few thousand Nigerians operating scams like that in the NHS

It does seem shockingly easy to do and get away with because of the lack of resources to tackle the problem

I suppose it never makes headlines as it's too complex to explain to the masses - and it's probably easier/cheaper to increase taxes

IIRC retail shops add a percentage to each sale to cover theft - probably best to look at it that way?

Isnt there a really easy solution...

All VAT is paid to the residing Government between the 2 EU countries and then the business has to claim the VAT back off the Government.

Rather than the trader claiming the VAT and having to pay the Government...

plus will make loads of new public sector jobs.

IE. British business buys 1 million pounds of phones from french.

French pays the 17.5% vat to UK Government

British business can claim back from UK government.

Isnt there a really easy solution...

All VAT is paid to the residing Government between the 2 EU countries and then the business has to claim the VAT back off the Government.

Rather than the trader claiming the VAT and having to pay the Government...

plus will make loads of new public sector jobs.

IE. British business buys 1 million pounds of phones from french.

French pays the 17.5% vat to UK Government

British business can claim back from UK government.

I hope they can fix this stupid loophole, but i bet they drag their feet as as always

our money down the swanney

No, it would be 'our money down the swanney' if people were _paying_ VAT. Not paying VAT is people saving their money from being wasted by Gordon 'Miracle' Brown.

I wonder what effect the VAT fraud is having on HPI (of course this is something that can not really be figured out) but there is bound to be a huge effect since millions are coming in to the hands of conartists/criminals so easly they must be splashing out. One way to catch these people would be to look at those buying expensive houses and cars - where is the money coming from since VAT fraud is 10% of UK trade I bet these are the buggers paying millions for properties and assets with all our hard earned money it is very very sad.

I think we need the solution is to end all stealth taxes. The government should come clean and say that we need to raise X and that means as a % of your income salary you need to pay X (of course based on how much you earn). Scrap council tax, TV licsense, VAT etc just say it as it is. of course this would be a shocking figure with most people paying huge portions of their salary in tax - which of course we are in any case - but seeing it in black and white. I estimate that i pay over 60% of family income in tax - everyday the shores of dubai look more and more tempting!

Guest mattsta1964

I wonder what effect the VAT fraud is having on HPI (of course this is something that can not really be figured out) but there is bound to be a huge effect since millions are coming in to the hands of conartists/criminals so easly they must be splashing out. One way to catch these people would be to look at those buying expensive houses and cars - where is the money coming from since VAT fraud is 10% of UK trade I bet these are the buggers paying millions for properties and assets with all our hard earned money it is very very sad.

I think we need the solution is to end all stealth taxes. The government should come clean and say that we need to raise X and that means as a % of your income salary you need to pay X (of course based on how much you earn). Scrap council tax, TV licsense, VAT etc just say it as it is. of course this would be a shocking figure with most people paying huge portions of their salary in tax - which of course we are in any case - but seeing it in black and white. I estimate that i pay over 60% of family income in tax - everyday the shores of dubai look more and more tempting!

If you are a PAYE employee paying the higher rate, then yup, emigrating seems worthwhile. I wonder if I could find work in Dubai in my profession?

Seeing 60% of your income going and then being wasted so heinously must be painful to bear!