House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DoubleBubbleTrouble

Independent: Whatever Happened To The Demolition Of Our Housing Market?

http://money.independent.co.uk/personal_fi...icle1180138.ece

Prices have held up, but the doomsters haven't gone away

By Sam Dunn

Published: 16 July 2006

Remember the housing market Jeremiahs?

The prophets of doom who forecast crashes wiping as much as 40 per cent from the value of our homes have been silent for months as UK house prices have chugged along.

HPC, Priced Out and t'other place get a mention at the end...

Reasonable article I guess. Where you asked for a quotation DoubleBubbleTrouble, or did they make an assumption?

Reasonable article I guess. Where you asked for a quotation DoubleBubbleTrouble, or did they make an assumption?

Better than 'reasonable'; good mainstream publicity I think. Fubra should be happy if it bumps up the traffic to the site.

Not bad coverage and a good quote:

The UK website housepricecrash was set up in 2003 as a non-profit-making forum for consumers. It now receives 7,000 visitors a day and has just been bought by the online media company Fubra.

Three years after its inception, its purpose remains the same: "to act as a counterbalance to the huge amounts of positive spin the housing market receives in the main media".

Spokesman Reinhardt Schu is adamant that it has not overstated the risks.

"I do believe there will be a crash," he says, "but the timing hasn't been right - that's always the danger. That a crash hasn't happened yet doesn't mean that it won't happen."

Mr Schu points to homeowners' overstretched salaries and the failure of earnings to keep pace with house price inflation. He believes the downturn will start with lenders no longer being able to offer cheap loans to first-time buyers and those on low incomes, and with the collapse of the buy-to-let market.

The more the media mention this site, the better. Bring it on! As a potential FTB, I've been so happy to find HPC. It's encouraged me to plan a year off with a tiny percentage of the money I would otherwise have wasted on buying a $hithole for 6X my salary.

Because I rent, I can afford to take a year off work and travel the world. Try doing that with an IO mortgage. I don't think so...

Not bad coverage and a good quote:

Right on the button BP....

"Just because a crash hasn't happened doesn't mean that it isn't going to happen...."

To be honest, it's already begun: the VI spin is quite powerful!