House Price Crash Forum
ollk

Martin Lewis Mse Speaks Out For Bears

Jeremy Vine show Friday afternoon Martin Lewis talking about bad debt, and then went on to state that "House Prices could crash, and they will".

I have put a small extract here , please right click jv.wma and download. To hear the full length goto listen again, it was about an hour in...

I wonder how many people choked on their coffee's more than once during this discussion?

I have to say towards the end I thought he started to get a little muddled, then he had a perfect opportunity to mention the fact interest rates will might also go up but sadly missed this. I get the feeling Martin has always concentrated on areas other than the housing market and this is something he has only recently given any thought to.

But I say well done that man and keep it coming :D

Oh, for those who listen to the whole thing I was amazed at Jeremy Vines lack of 'money sense' when ML suggested paying off debt with money from a savings account - I was absolutely stunned, and this I felt was a good (and deeply worrying) measure of the attitude toward debt in this society.

Guest mattsta1964

Jeremy Vine show Friday afternoon Martin Lewis talking about bad debt, and then went on to state that "House Prices could crash, and they will".

I have put a small extract here , please right click jv.wma and download. To hear the full length goto listen again, it was about an hour in...

I wonder how many people choked on their coffee's more than once during this discussion?

I was listening to that show on Radio 2 about people with unsecured debts and then all of a sudden Martin started raving on about how the housing market is cyclic just like the economy and house prices WILL crash, whether it's in 1 year, 2 years or 5 years. I was fantastic to hear someone on a live BBC broadcast say that to millions of people. Nice one Martin!

Martin Lewis was good enough to post on this site I recall - many months ago. Sorry, don't have the link.

Yes, I remember the post. It was about getting media exposure.

Martin Lewis is a smart cookie, he knows the score. If you look on his website (which i read) you will find lots of people say "i need to get on the ladder or i never will", but Martin won't allienate himself by declaring he is a bear - that would be suicidal if he did.

I wasnt convinced by Martins' advice to move mone from an ISA to pay of a credit card debt.

If it was any other savings account then fine but an ISA? You carnt never get that money back in once you got it out. Personally I would have advised him to cut back on any luxuries, eBay all his worthless tat and just pay the damned debt off!

I met Martin Lewis at a party a few years back. He told me house prices never went down.

He is also an extremely exhuberant dancer, to the extent that he is a danger to others in the room.

I met Martin Lewis at a party a few years back. He told me house prices never went down.

Did you correct him? Does he realise why prices didn't nominally fall in two of the last three cycles?

Did you correct him? Does he realise why prices didn't nominally fall in two of the last three cycles?

Sadly this was before I had my HPC epiphany. At the time I just had a general sense of unease about the whole house price thing without much of a grasp on the specifics. And to be fair to him, since we had that conversation house prices have kept rising fairly steadily. So he's not wrong yet...but he will be :P

I wasnt convinced by Martins' advice to move mone from an ISA to pay of a credit card debt.

If it was any other savings account then fine but an ISA? You carnt never get that money back in once you got it out. Personally I would have advised him to cut back on any luxuries, eBay all his worthless tat and just pay the damned debt off!

Who cares whether it's in an ISA or not? There's no way you'll make enough money from the ISA to make up the cost of the credit card debt at standard credit card rates.

If it's a cash ISA then you're getting 5%(ish). Credit card payments might be 13% say? (depends on card). It's a no brainer. Once you've paid off the credit card, you can then put the surplus cash into a new ISA the following year & you'll end up better off.

Do the maths!

Phil