Petrol Prices Rising

HOLA441
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest Alright Jack

I am very sick of reading this 'average joe'. I think sir, not too many years from now given the cirumstances your vanity will precipitate your own personal kind of hell.

HOLA443

"If families continue to use their cars, they'll pay more for trips than in previous years," she said. "They may have to cut back on treats and extras after money spent on petrol cuts into their disposable income."

The profundity of this article! So if petrol goes up we won't be able to enjoy donkey rides and a box of quality street. I've just cancelled my annual pilgrimage to Butlins this year in light of this.

HOLA444

Yes, although most leading supermarkets now stock rape seed oil for cooking, which also works remarkably well in post-1996 diesels and retails at less than 60p per litre; so I'm told.

Son of Limahl

;)

HOLA445

I am very sick of reading this 'average joe'. I think sir, not too many years from now given the cirumstances your vanity will precipitate your own personal kind of hell.

average joe, general public, herd member, man on the street, domestic user

call it what you want.. you are one and i am one too, unless you own your own corporation and house prices are the least of your concerns that makes YOU an average joe too.

HOLA446
Guest Charlie The Tramp

heard on the news it could hit an average of £1 a litre. Hide that from inflation figures.

Shocking, when it was only 25 pence a gallon in 1964. Fill up your Mini for £1-50p. :(

HOLA447
HOLA448

Yes, although most leading supermarkets now stock rape seed oil for cooking, which also works remarkably well in post-1996 diesels and retails at less than 60p per litre; so I'm told.

Son of Limahl

;)

nice to see you posting Son of Limahl, any links on the rape seed info, I've just bought a post 96 diesel :)

charlie - you need one of these:-

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/diesel05112800.html

"...returns a staggering 200 -- yes two hundred miles to the gallon of Derv...Running on vegetable oil works out at an equivalent petrol cost of 500 miles to the gallon..." :lol:

Charlie likes something a bit more sporty ;)http://www.peace65.freeserve.co.uk/Pictures/hamm.htm

Or for Richard M 'Charlie don't Derv' :D

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA449

Apparently Customs and Excise can prosecute a person if they are running their car on rape seed. Something to do with the fact that they are avoiding paying duty. Strange situation really. A Govt. department can tell you what you can and cannot put inside your own fuel tank.

What would happen if the much celebrated myth of running a vehicle on water ever came about.

Discuss......

HOLA4410

Apparently Customs and Excise can prosecute a person if they are running their car on rape seed. Something to do with the fact that they are avoiding paying duty. Strange situation really. A Govt. department can tell you what you can and cannot put inside your own fuel tank.

Yup. Tax is payable on vegetable oil / vege-diesel. It's quite easy to pay it -- just get the form from the local tax office. However, it then ends up about the same price as petroluem based diesel fuel...

What would happen if the much celebrated myth of running a vehicle on water ever came about.

Much entertainment. Fortunately for the government the physics says it isn't possible :)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Discuss......

Yes, and if you were to pay all the duty on top of the supermarket price of a liter of sunflower oil, it would come out to around £1.40 IIRC.

As a side note, there is diesel that can be used in generators and stuff that isnt a vehilce that you dont pay duty on. It costs about 20p a liter or sumink. It as a red dye in it that distinguishes it from road-going diesel. The IRA's chief source of income was "red dielsel" and County Armargh is still full of illegal chem-labs, stripping red dye from dielel, for the purpose of.

You can run an engine on water. Unfiortunately you also need a few tons of coal to make the water really hot! :P

only impossiblility is impossible.

It really gets on my nerves when people say that.

Running an engine on water is a physical impossibility.

HOLA4414

Isn't all this running a car of water lark, really using solar power to seperate the water into hydrogen and oxygen. The car then runs on the hydrogen. The oxygen is an option extra to make the driver high.

So really it's a solar powered car. The only debabte is what is the best method to store the energy?

HOLA4415

Isn't all this running a car of water lark, really using solar power to seperate the water into hydrogen and oxygen. The car then runs on the hydrogen. The oxygen is an option extra to make the driver high.

So really it's a solar powered car. The only debabte is what is the best method to store the energy?

The car runs on hydrogen and the waste that comes out of the exhaust is water h2O. Completely clean to tne environment.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Completely clean to tne environment.

Except that you somehow have to generat enough electricity to make the hydrogen in the first place. The reason we use oil is that there are vast underground lakes of the stuff just waiting to be pumped to the surface and put in yur petrol tank. There are no vast lakes of hydrogen for us to tap into.

There are also big problems with storing hydrogen- which is after all, just a pair of protons. Its pretty small. Small enough to diffuse out of a metal tank.

What about a steam engine?

ABB

Steam is not a fuel. In an old locomotive, coal was the fuel. Steam was just a method of transfering the energy from burning coal (external combustion) to turn the wheels of the train. Internal combustion engines have no need of steam because the combustion of fuel drives the engine directley. That is more efficient when you think about it.

HOLA4418

Except that you somehow have to generat enough electricity to make the hydrogen in the first place. The reason we use oil is that there are vast underground lakes of the stuff just waiting to be pumped to the surface and put in yur petrol tank. There are no vast lakes of hydrogen for us to tap into.

There are also big problems with storing hydrogen- which is after all, just a pair of protons. Its pretty small. Small enough to diffuse out of a metal tank.

Steam is not a fuel. In an old locomotive, coal was the fuel. Steam was just a method of transfering the energy from burning coal (external combustion) to turn the wheels of the train. Internal combustion engines have no need of steam because the combustion of fuel drives the engine directley. That is more efficient when you think about it.

Good point about hydrogen. It is the same with this ethanol boom at the moment. Archer Daniel Midland's stocks doubled in value due to news of an ethanol processing plant and a direction towards ethanol. This is a great alternative however i believe it is a contingency to oil shortage as it is more expensive to make and to produce it is just as harmful to the environment. By the way I bought shares in the company 2 years ago on a rumour this was their direction it was a good move.

Solar is an option but we do not have the ability to harness enough of the suns power for high performance. In my opinion nature has delivered us a double edged sword. It is either harmful to produce the clean fuel or it is harmful to burn the avalable fuel. We need another einstein and a scientific breakthrough, unfortunately scientists aren't what they were 200 years ago.

HOLA4419

Good point about hydrogen. It is the same with this ethanol boom at the moment. Archer Daniel Midland's stocks doubled in value due to news of an ethanol processing plant and a direction towards ethanol. This is a great alternative however i believe it is a contingency to oil shortage as it is more expensive to make and to produce it is just as harmful to the environment. By the way I bought shares in the company 2 years ago on a rumour this was their direction it was a good move.

Solar is an option but we do not have the ability to harness enough of the suns power for high performance. In my opinion nature has delivered us a double edged sword. It is either harmful to produce the clean fuel or it is harmful to burn the avalable fuel. We need another einstein and a scientific breakthrough, unfortunately scientists aren't what they were 200 years ago.

The problem with biofuels is where to plant them? And what effect does all this agriculture have on the environment? Agriculture isnt neccesarily environmental friendly an chopping down the amazon or plantin gover what left of the worlds wilderness areas is hardly good for the environment either. Even if we did this, it is doubtfull if we could make even a fraction of our current demand.

Again the problem with solar power is where to put all the panels? Solar panels are also very polluting to manufacture, a fact overlooked by the guardian reading beardies.

Nuclear power is a good way forward, unfortunately, the public hysteria associated with anything 'nuclear' means this is doubtful to ever be put into practice.

HOLA4420

The problem with biofuels is where to plant them? And what effect does all this agriculture have on the environment? Agriculture isnt neccesarily environmental friendly an chopping down the amazon or plantin gover what left of the worlds wilderness areas is hardly good for the environment either. Even if we did this, it is doubtfull if we could make even a fraction of our current demand.

Again the problem with solar power is where to put all the panels? Solar panels are also very polluting to manufacture, a fact overlooked by the guardian reading beardies.

Nuclear power is a good way forward, unfortunately, the public hysteria associated with anything 'nuclear' means this is doubtful to ever be put into practice.

The cost of gas/oil will force the hand of nuclear power. I believe it is the only way..

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Yeah god hurry up with the nuclear.

We've got so many ways of processing the waste and storing it safely presenting no problems to current or future generations, and its so cheap to do too.

</sarcasm>

you for got to start your html with <sarcasm> you just ended it with </sarcasm>

There are ways of dealing with nuclear waste. It just costs money. I would hope we would spend the money but unfortunately i know we won't. The point is no matter what fuel we go for the are positives and negatives, it's a lose lose situation. Nuclear is clean until you have to worry about waste and potential disasters. If the money is spent though it is the most viable early resolution.

HOLA4423

The answer lies in the millions of acres of space available in the seas and oceans and deserts

All uninhabitited and not harnassed potential.

Two thirds of this planet is ocean - just sitting there not being used. All this space could be used to harnase energy.

I dont know what the next einstein will think up - but the answer is staring us in the face.

Theres wave power, or we could make banks and banks of solar panels in the ocean, or wind turbines in the ocean or desert.

There is so much area free, and unused space, its stupid not to use it.

Maybe someone will think of a way of just sticking two cables in the sea, and by using electro salt potential harnassing, E.S.P.H (i made that up) the sea becomes one big solar panel, producing electricity - forgoing making the millions of solar panels

We re just not pushed into that situation of radical thinking yet, becuase crude oil is still relatively cheap.

Edited by notanewmember

HOLA4424
HOLA4425