House Price Crash Forum
jaay

Down Side To Hpc

as you can see, im not a regular poster, but do try and have a browse through these boards when i can. however, i am becoming rather concerned that the whole hpc is becoming a bit of an obsession - for me, weighing up the arguments for/against a hpc is fast becoming a full-time job!

i am at the age [25] where many friends are buying for the first time and so i am am unsure as to whether i would actually want to see a full blown crash.

some deserve whatever they get: mindlessly attempting to further their own finacial postion by loading themselves with debt in order to avoid 'lining someone elses pocket...blah, blah,blah', and looking at me like i am an idiot for even considering that there are risks attached to such 'investments'.

for others, the furtherance of their own finacial position is not even an issue: i was speaking to a guy in the gym yesteday who is one of those people that seems incapable of habouring any negative thoughts toward anyone else . he told me he had just bought a house and was clearly exited about it, seemingly simply on the back of the fact that it is [i imagine] a great feeling to have a place that is yours to do what you want with and [i guess] a feeling of having moved forward a little bit further.

it makes me feel bad that, if i am am to gain, others who i genuinely care about must lose out. but, who knows, it might turn out to be the best decision he ever made!

:unsure:

as you can see, im not a regular poster, but do try and have a browse through these boards when i can. however, i am becoming rather concerned that the whole hpc is becoming a bit of an obsession - for me, weighing up the arguments for/against a hpc is fast becoming a full-time job!

i am at the age [25] where many friends are buying for the first time and so i am am unsure as to whether i would actually want to see a full blown crash.

some deserve whatever they get: mindlessly attempting to further their own finacial postion by loading themselves with debt in order to avoid 'lining someone elses pocket...blah, blah,blah', and looking at me like i am an idiot for even considering that there are risks attached to such 'investments'.

for others, the furtherance of their own finacial position is not even an issue: i was speaking to a guy in the gym yesteday who is one of those people that seems incapable of habouring any negative thoughts toward anyone else . he told me he had just bought a house and was clearly exited about it, seemingly simply on the back of the fact that it is [i imagine] a great feeling to have a place that is yours to do what you want with and [i guess] a feeling of having moved forward a little bit further.

it makes me feel bad that, if i am am to gain, others who i genuinely care about must lose out. but, who knows, it might turn out to be the best decision he ever made!

Look at it this way - there will always be winners and losers - if you feel so bad then you could always give your friends some of the money you save on that house you want when it has fallen to rock bottom.

Another way out of your dilema is to buy now and join them.

Just sport mate - hope you understand.

HAL

Live and Learn..

Live and Learn..

That is what your friends will do.

The thing to understand and remember is that money, markets, investments have no heart and care for no man. Before venturing in to any of these things a proper and full INDEPENDANT analysis of the market MUST be conducted before the decision to enter is made. You have done well to discover this site and you would do well to read articles on the market and how the GLOBAL economy could affect us. It is different this time the global economy is the times we live in, just because it may look rosey now and vested interests are telling you it will continue due to fundamentals local to the uk doesn't mean something across the seas won't trigger our fall.

You must be independant in your investigation because you are in a herd of like minded lemmings that are heading towards a cliff, do not let them influence you unless they are of a sound economical background and express an impartial view. Those that follow their hearts in situations like this usually perish but those that follow the one thing that seperates us from cattle herds (our brains) live long, prosper and rise from the ashes.

There is a change a coming, the tides are turning, volatility is raising its ugly head everywhere in the world, you mjust feel it like I do and lots of others here. An increase in the money supply causes inflation it is a well known fundamental written in stone economic fact. It has been hidden and malformed to give the herds a false view but it will raise its head and cannot be stopped then come the collapse will.

One major fallout of this is a recession, this is the reason why when it does collapse all those FTB's hoarding cash waiting for the fall will not be able to buy and prolong the crash. If you have no job you CANNOT buy. Secure your position of employment now! work longer hours andt take on more work - make yourself a valuable indispensible asset like I am, there are gonna be a lot of pople out of work soon.

Edited by Impartial

Hello there.

I hear these arguments all the time, that it is wrong of me for wanting prices to fall.

But that in itself is 'bubble blackmail' (new phrase - use it or lose it!). I didn't want prices to rocket to unsustainable levels, I don't harp on how good it is, like those who tell me to buy do.

At the moment, you, I and those that have not bought are the losers in the housing situation. Those who bought years ago are the winners. If I bought now, would I be a winner (I'm sure people tell themself that)? No. I just don't want to be a loser! :(

You, me, this website, the VI's, are not going to prevent the inevitable happening. We/they can't change the market - those who are proactive [read VI's] may delay the inevitable a little bit, but the end result will be the same.

Those who are caught with their pants down can't say they weren't warned. How many warnings have their been now?

Edited by Jason

Guest Bart of Darkness
The thing to understand and remember is that money, markets, investments have no heart and care for no man. Before venturing in to any of these things a proper and full INDEPENDANT analysis of the market MUST be conducted before the decision to enter is made.

Well said. Better to at least consider the alternative than to just follow the herd blindly.

Does anyone know of, or can someone start a housing blog where the contrarians, in this case, the bulls, can be weeded out?

Does freedom of association still exist in England? (Or did it ever?)

Thanks in advance.

It's David Suskind! (Isn't it?) :)

It troubles me somewhat as well.

I am also in a very clear minority amongst people around me in thinking that

something is very seriously wrong with the market.

This is a lose-lose situation for all of us in the long-run.

On the way up I get to listen to those that happened to buy at the right time harp on about

how much their house has gone up by, and what a great thing MEWing is.

And the constant subtle insinuations that they've made it, and I'm ******ed.

On the way down I get to listen to them crying about how much negative equity

they're in, and how unfair it is that they're bankrupt, or indentured slaves.

The middle class has been duped into putting the vast majority of its wealth into

property, the wealth simply existing as 'equity'. Wealth which can very easily be

transferred back to the banks via interest rate rises.

When I started on HPC I used to look forward to the event,

but things are just getting really weird and scary now.

Guest mattsta1964

You're right to question the wisdom of buying into the property market at the moment

The answer is, and please take heed........DON'T DO IT NOW

The crash is 'in the post' and if you buy now it will have very serious financial implications for you for a very long time to come.

Someone on this thread commented that you mustn't let your heart rule your head with such a major financial investment. Words of wisdom, believe me. Your friends and associates may sup their chardonnay and comment on how well they have done out of the property market bla bla bla, but they will be eating their words in a couple years time. The market was overpriced 6 years ago. The people who have bought in the last couple years have totally f*cked themselves.

Find somewhere to rent, save as much money as you can and buy back into the market in 5 years time. You wont regret it.

It's very sad that owning a home has become such an important investment decision. A home should be for living in, not a panacea to wealth. But...that's the way it is now

I suppose this thread is the ultimate in self-confidence. Not only are you convinced that the Bear argument is right, you're even feeling guilty about the bulls getting it wrong!

No room for a little bit of uncertainty? You may be wrong you know. Prices may not fall. They haven't yet.

Guest pioneer31

Prices may not fall. They haven't yet.

Heroin doesn't kill you. It hasn't killed me yet

yes, I know it's finished off lost of others but it's going to be different this time

Edited by pioneer31

At risk of blowing my monthly bandwidth allowance with my web hosting people, the Halifax think that prices have fallen in the South East:

http://www.mjdazeley.com/Halifax.html

:blink:

What do you think MJ? Houses in St Albans seem to have been selling quickly and with increased asking prices since the spring.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Prices may not fall. They haven't yet.

I may never die. After all, I haven't yet.

What do you think MJ? Houses in St Albans seem to have been selling quickly and with increased asking prices since the spring.

A_J

Now I didn't say they were falling in St Albans. I've not been looking at St Albans prices closely recently, though I do get RightMove emails daily. I have to say that my perception is that houses near Waitrose have dropped by 20-30k in recent months, but I have no hard evidence to hand.

Maybe we should continue on the St Albans thread.....

BTW A_J, (for the St Albans thread), did you ever view Minerva Heights? :huh:

mjd

Edited by mjdazeley

I suppose this thread is the ultimate in self-confidence. Not only are you convinced that the Bear argument is right, you're even feeling guilty about the bulls getting it wrong!

No room for a little bit of uncertainty? You may be wrong you know. Prices may not fall. They haven't yet.

not at all! - i haven't made up my mind yet - although the way i see things, it is far less of a gamble to hold on for a while and see what happens [at the risk of houses prices going up another 50% in ten years etc. and having to rent for perpetuity] than to take the plunge now [and risk serious finacial hardship]...

Don't worry about it. Think of it this way. When older people boast about how much money they have made on the housing boom, and when they plan how to spend it - on thier retirement, cruises etc. They don't give an awful lot of thought to the fact that this money is coming directly out of the pockets of younger people in their monthly mortgage. They don't feel guilty because they are benefitting from other people's misery.

The market hasn't crashed yet. If it does, and in the long term if your FTB friends are ever going to move up the ladder, they will be glad that the market has taken on more sensible proportions.

The balance thing is interesting. People who profit from owning multiple properties, whether BTL or developers, seem to expect that they can cream profit from the rest of us without political or commercial comeback. If I was in their shoes common sense would tell me that eventually my actions would inevtitably provoke an opposite reaction. To expect endless profit without consequences is like expecting heat without cold.