House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gfromls

Boj Causes Widespread Panic

Prophetic! There is some panic going on in Japan after the hike:

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/news/newswire.php...y_template.html

By Chikako Mogi

TOKYO (Reuters) - The Bank of Japan is expected to conduct highly flexible market operations next week to contain any
sharp rises in the money market after it raised interest rates for the first time in six years on Friday as expected.
The BOJ’s policy board decided by a unanimous vote to raise the key overnight call money rate to 0.25 percent from zero, and lifted the official discount rate to 0.40 percent from 0.1 percent by a vote of 6-3.
Many in the market had been expecting the discount rate to rise to 0.50 percent.
Both rate increases were effective immediately.
"The new discount rate reflects the BOJ’s concern about money market rates overshooting," said a senior money market dealer at a U.K. bank.
"I expect the BOJ to aggressively try, via its market operations, to contain sharp rises in money market rates, especially repo rates," he said.
Market views were mixed about the smaller-than-expected increase in the discount rate, which serves as the rate the BOJ uses for its Lombard lending facility, under which the central bank lends to financial institutions at their request.
The BOJ said it lent a record 3.2 trillion yen (15 billion pounds) under the facility on Friday due to extraordinarily strong demand by financial institutions which failed to borrow in interbank markets earlier in the session, as lenders were cautious before an expected rate increase.
"The 0.4 percent discount rate may prolong the situation in which financial institutions will continue to rely on the BOJ for funding ... preventing interbank funding being activated," said a senior money market dealer at a European bank.
......./

The IR storm, once unleashed, will be hard to put back in the box. :o

"taste nippon steel"

......"aieeeeee"

:lol:

"The Jap Soldier", published in 1943 it would appear for the benefit of U.S. Army officers anticipating an encounter with their opposite numbers on the battlefield. It states; "Japanese officers still favour the old fashioned sword. You will see them leading their troops with swords waving, just as in old fashioned movie thrillers. Shoot these officers as quickly as you can, for those swords can slice a man from collar-bone to waist in a single clean slash".

:lol:

"The Jap Soldier", published in 1943 it would appear for the benefit of U.S. Army officers anticipating an encounter with their opposite numbers on the battlefield. It states; "Japanese officers still favour the old fashioned sword. You will see them leading their troops with swords waving, just as in old fashioned movie thrillers. Shoot these officers as quickly as you can, for those swords can slice a man from collar-bone to waist in a single clean slash".

If I were an officer about to face the "hell in the pacific" that's exactly the sort of information I'd want to know.

Heh, I really miss those comics. I saw one the other day and was amazed at ow un-PC they were.

Heh, I really miss those comics. I saw one the other day and was amazed at ow un-PC they were.

blimey - you're right - i remember them too!

"eat lead, fritz!!" :P

what was the name of the one who had been shot and had a bullet near his heart and hence a bit of a deathwish?

EDIT - D-Day Dawson!?!?! :lol:

Guest Bart of Darkness

Let's not forget the contribution of Bill Savage in holding off the Red Menace. (In case you're confused 1990 was the distant future then.) I used to lie in my bunk bed planning where to stash molotov cocktails to rain down on Russian tanks if they invaded.

I remember Invasion, they nuked Birmingham in the first issue as I recall. Didn't Bill Savage have a "nice" bespectacled mate who disapproved of some of his methods, or am I thinking of Dredger?

invasion.jpg

In 1999 war erupted in Europe as the Volg Republic, formerly part of the Soviet Union, launched an invasion. Britain fell quickly under the onslaught, and Bill Savage, his family killed in the fighting, took up arms as a major resistance figure.

In 2002, he managed to escape to America in an attempt to return the then-prince to the safety of Canada. Since the Volgans had killed the crew of an American ship trying to stop him, Bill thought this would mean the Americans would go kick the Volgans out of Britain; as it turned out, they were not going to due to a treaty between Volga and the States. He returned to Britain in disgust, faking his own death and having had plastic surgery done so he could assume the identity of his dead brother Jack. As of 2004, he fights from within London- unlike his earlier exploits, he is focused more on subterfuge and terrorist bombings.

bsavage2.jpg

Let's not forget the contribution of Bill Savage in holding off the Red Menace. (In case you're confused 1990 was the distant future then.) I used to lie in my bunk bed planning where to stash molotov cocktails to rain down on Russian tanks if they invaded.

Thereby exposing your town to destruction as a hotbed of terrorist insurgents, hiding amongst the civil population and not wearing uniforms? Hope you didn't live next to a school... :ph34r:

RB pictured this morning

prepairing for the Tsunami

hassanelhassan.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry Realist, I found that rather funny! :unsure:

I just don't want to be caught sideways in my canoe by this tsunami. :huh: