House Price Crash Forum
shamrock1

Edinburgh Jumping :(

unfortunately property seems to have had a big bounce here in Edinburgh.

It started in February and is still going strong. Quite a bit is selling and prices

are up.

The sales stats for Q1 and Q2 of 2006 are available at:

http://www.espc.com/EspcPublic/Content.aspx?pid=20

They show 12% up for Q2 (over 2005) and 8% for Q1. Also volume is up.

Although I'm always supicious of stats I know prices on my own street have risen

this spring - large one-bed flats like the one I rent are now going for

180000/185000 after being stagnant at 165000/170000 for 2004/2005.

(And renting for 500/month......)

So no crash in Edinburgh in sight.

Who knows how long we'll have to wait

S0D IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

f*!%ING PARLIAMENT RUINED EDINBURGH for ordinary hard working lower-middle class people like me.

I wish to god the bloody Weegees HAD got the damn thing, they wanted it more than us I'm sure. They'd be welcome to it. Bloody Donald Dewar. Bloody yuppies. Bloody Blair, Brown, New Labour have f$cxked up this country for decades to come. I hate them more than words can express. This city used to be a nice place to live, I was born here, why am I being turned into an outsider and a borderline xenophobe.

A house iS just SOMEWHERE TO F&CKING LIVE. A healthy economy relies on creating proper wealth not selling on bricks and f%cking mortar every few years to some poor sucker to make a killing. Dammit, I'll have to give in and buy somewhere now or else I'll have a breakdown, where I live is too small, but I know it'll probably be the worse decision - timing-wise - in my entire life...

unfortunately property seems to have had a big bounce here in Edinburgh.

It started in February and is still going strong. Quite a bit is selling and prices

are up.

The sales stats for Q1 and Q2 of 2006 are available at:

http://www.espc.com/EspcPublic/Content.aspx?pid=20

They show 12% up for Q2 (over 2005) and 8% for Q1. Also volume is up.

Although I'm always supicious of stats I know prices on my own street have risen

this spring - large one-bed flats like the one I rent are now going for

180000/185000 after being stagnant at 165000/170000 for 2004/2005.

(And renting for 500/month......)

So no crash in Edinburgh in sight.

Who knows how long we'll have to wait

Keep calm guys. The ESPC figures are rubbish. They just choose the figures they like and get the eveing news to report on them. There was a headline 20% rise a few months ago. Actually reporting an 18% rise in one area, the average was 8%. The Land Registry figures are much lower, 4.7% for the year to the end of March, the next set to the end of june will be out and will show a rise I am sure. But the edinburgh spring bounce seems very strong every year but the were quarterly drops at the end of last year and i'm sure this year will be the same especially if there is an interest rate rise.

I actually think Edinburgh is ahead of the rest of scotland and will see the first falls!! Where I am theres not much change from last spring and if you aited till last october were some reasonable prices.

The very high end stuff in Edinburgh, £400k and above, isn't falling, but it isn't gaining either.

Anything below the £250k level though, in a half decent area, is getting fought over. An old work colleague of mine is looking for a 2 bed flat somewhere decent right now, and it IS a hot market. Lots of money flying around, and a lot of it is traditional money it seems; inherited, not borrowed.