House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

Why Is Pessimism So Despised In Society?

On Now

Listen here http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/thinkingallowed/

'PESSIMISM

Since the Enlightenment political thought has, more often than not, been based on the notion that the development of knowledge will lead inevitably to progress and greater happiness for all. Pessimism, once a respectable if not popular philosophy, has become so despised in our culture that the term 'pessimist' can be used as a term of political or philosophical abuse.

Laurie Taylor hears from Joshua Foa Dienstag, Professor of Political Science, UCLA and author of Pessimism: Philosophy, Ethic, Spirit who argues that pessimistic thought may provide a critically needed alternative to the progressivist ideas that have dominated thinking about politics throughout the modern period.'

Also discussed that was quite interesting as well, regarding the peer pressure on kids & parents to 'buy to fit in' -

"To Buy or not to Buy: Family Dynamics and Children's Consumption

by Julie Evans and Joan Chandler

College of St Mark and St John in Plymouth; University of Plymouth"

http://www.socresonline.org.uk/11/2/evans.html

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

On Now

I don't despise pessimism, I just avoid it..... It is not a healthy state of mind and causes more misery than good. Pessimists could also be likened to psychic vampires in that they drain the bloody life force from you. Avoid like the plague!

I am very much a HPC bear but would not describe myself as a pessimist, a blind optimist is more accurate.

Be lucky, and enjoy! We won't get out of this life alive! :)

Frank

One persons pessimism is another persons optimism.

I'm an optimist, I think house prices will fall to so the younger generation don't have to saddle themselves with massive debts.

One persons pessimism is another persons optimism.

I'm an optimist, I think house prices will fall to so the younger generation don't have to saddle themselves with massive debts.

One man's pessimism is another man's realism.

If I think prices will fall what does that make me?

Nice saying I heard, "the optimist designed the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute" :) we need to considered both positive and negative outcomes when making decisions. Too many people I know are so sure everythings going to turn up roses that they are willing to take on huge financial risks without even considering it so.

Everytime I see a house with a "price reduced" banner stuck on it I start to feel an optimistic glow and a sudden sense of joy that all is well in the world!

To me, HPI is a plague that has ruined lives and will eventually ruin the economy. To see its demise is the most optimistic stance anyone can take. IMO, of course.

Everytime I see a house with a "price reduced" banner stuck on it I start to feel an optimistic glow and a sudden sense of joy that all is well in the world!

To me, HPI is a plague that has ruined lives and will eventually ruin the economy. To see its demise is the most optimistic stance anyone can take. IMO, of course.

"To me, HPI is a plague that has ruined lives and will eventually ruin the economy. To see its demise is the most optimistic stance anyone can take. IMO, of course."

And you are right!

anyways. the universe can only exist in two parts and not singulary. binary is the key to balance and harmony.

every rancid plan must have its counter balance. hence opposite polaritys attract.

this is also know as the universal bernoulli effect whereas gravitation pull is countered by the axis spin creating the negative polarity - or positive. that cannot be establish just which is + and which is -. all we know is they are opposites.

whos to say which way is north. all we can see is two sides to the same world.

Guest Alright Jack

Well, I don't know what right fred's dead is talking about - as usual! - but the other comments are interesting.

The comment about HPI being like a plague on society and ruining young lives and eventually all our lives is

SPOT ON! bar one detail which I think is important for the sake of clarity.

HPI is ultimately down to this over extension of credit (monetary inflation) which has finally run amock in a terminal fashion and will culminate in mutilpe currency crises and the collapse, at least, of the US dollar system. The only way to prevent it now would bring the whole house of cards down in any case, so the political solution is the status quo. This will be alluded to in history books of the future as another hyperinflation episode.

Of course, the devil's in the detail for those who must live through it - what does an economic collapse look like? I guess we'll find out soon enough. I expect that reading the stories of the old Soviet Union would not be a waste of time.

You all know the solution by now and when the time comes for a new 'state' to emerge from the wreckage and begin reestablishing law and order I hope you can be relied upon to do the right thing. By this time you will have gotten used to exchanging value for value and not paying any taxes.

So am I a pessimist or an optimist? I don't really know, maybe it is better for other people to judge. All I can say is that my actions are pro-active in that I am doing my best to try and profit from what is coming down the road. I think this is the reaction of an optimist. You may disagree.

It seems pessimists have a more realistic outlook on life, although they are not as happy as optimists! link

A quote I heard once: "The best thing about being a pessimist is that you never get any nasty surprises - only pleasant ones!!"

Ive started a few threads on here claiming many of you are life - long pessimists, but fail to recognise it.

A classic life - long pessimist (LLP) tends to be a little too smug and enjoys looking over thier shoulder saying 'it'll all end in tears, mark my words'. :(

The LLP will usually percieve himself to be a 'realist', but this is a delusion.

Fascinating sh1t eh :rolleyes:

It seems pessimists have a more realistic outlook on life,

But thier 'realism' is a manifestation by them that forms the reality of thier slot in life. 'realism' isnt imposed from outside, its created and endured.

Many wealthy people Ive met have been total chaotic 'suck and see' types. In fact many sucesful LLs were exactly that way when amasing property in the 1990s. NO REALIST WOULD HAVE BEEN SO GUNGHO.

Most inventors are totally unrealistic you know. Dyson was described this way.

Read stories of those that found the routes for wagons and later trains to the American West. Just 1 of countless examples of the optimist finding the true shape of reality.