House Price Crash Forum

Finally Took The Plunge

apom

HOLA441

I have lived and worked back in Devon for three years now, eager to make a home in the place where I grew up.. I came back to prices beyond anything that I could afford and after a year of minor desperation I found this website and hope.

Learning quickly to ignore the new and to look myself at the information that the news stories were built on I began to find the truth, (or my perception of the truth, of that history can judge)

but we have indices that swing house prices between £150,000 and £250,000 as an average..

House prices are dropping.. Whoppie.. I will be able to afford, but not for a few years.. it is a gradual thing this..

The bbc makes an article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5164426.stm

based on these figures:

http://www.mjdazeley.com/ODPM_581.html

seriously, they did..... they actually looked at the ODPM and reported that the housing market was in good shape.

History will judge the BBC and those who believed their lies will (i hope ) remember their lies.

so.

What should I do about it all.???

:)I resigned yesterday and the girlfriend and I are heading to London..:)

Should be fun, we have a small place to rent..

Plan is.

I will earn more, sort out more savings..

But mostly to have fun.

So to Devon. a parting shot.

You want to make money, make money.

Do not steal the future of your Children to line your pockets with money you are too bone idle to work for. Its's evil and it's not going to work.

You are not rich, those that are know the truth that I am saying and made their money from you.

Because, for the most part you are the herd.

The herd is dumb and in this case the herd is horribly wrong and selfish

I will laugh at those who deserver and pity those ruined by it.. but it is coming

but I am not waiting around

... London baby

so adios.. It's London Baby. :P

HOLA442

I have lived and worked back in Devon for three years now, eager to make a home in the place where I grew up.. I came back to prices beyond anything that I could afford and after a year of minor desperation I found this website and hope.

Learning quickly to ignore the new and to look myself at the information that the news stories were built on I began to find the truth, (or my perception of the truth, of that history can judge)

but we have indices that swing house prices between £150,000 and £250,000 as an average..

House prices are dropping.. Whoppie.. I will be able to afford, but not for a few years.. it is a gradual thing this..

The bbc makes an article

based on these figures:

seriously, they did..... they actually looked at the ODPM and reported that the housing market was in good shape.

History will judge the BBC and those who believed their lies will (i hope ) remember their lies.

so.

Plan is.

But mostly to have fun.

Do not steal the future of your Children to line your pockets with money you are too bone idle to work for. Its's evil and it's not going to work.

You are not rich, those that are know the truth that I am saying and made their money from you.

I will laugh at those who deserver and pity those ruined by it.. but it is coming

... London baby

Good luck and have fun! :D

HOLA443
HOLA444

Having fun in London can be very expensive. (It can also be very cheap). Be careful how you live or else you might find yourself saving very little.

I'd recommend you rent in a godforsaken hovel in Northolt or Kenton. That way you get to see how grim life can be in London if you can't afford to buy in a decent area.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Hope it all works out apom.

Thank you..

It is going to be an adventure.. and instead of renting a big place somewhere dull the missus and I are renting a small place somewhere interesting..:

Life should be an adventure..

HOLA448

The bbc makes an article

based on these figures:

so.

Plan is.

But mostly to have fun.

... London baby

Good luck apom. Gimme a shout when you get here. I can't see the point in working anywhere else in the UK other than London :)

HOLA449

You said "Do not steal the future of your Children to line your pockets with money you are too bone idle to work for."

Isn't the primary reason for HPI in Devon people moving from London and the South East to retire there - or enjoy a better quality of life there?

You can't blame the Devon people - when you sell a house you try to get as much as you can for it. If some nutcase wants to give you 450k for a 2 bed flat in Salcombe - you're not going to say no.

Someone mentioned Northolt and Kenton. That's not London. That's hell.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

ive done exactly the opposite and am moving from london to dorset end of the month.

the tubes have finally got to me. public transport going to work has to be the most depressing thing i have ever experienced. severe delays, signal failure, apologies for the delay.... its every day and soon thames water are going to start digging up 700 roads in central london to replace the pipes. make sure you move near the thames or the south west as the rest is a dump. at least you can walk along the river for free !

best of luck and get a bike or a moped...!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

ive done exactly the opposite and am moving from london to dorset end of the month.

the tubes have finally got to me. public transport going to work has to be the most depressing thing i have ever experienced. severe delays, signal failure, apologies for the delay.... its every day and soon thames water are going to start digging up 700 roads in central london to replace the pipes. make sure you move near the thames or the south west as the rest is a dump. at least you can walk along the river for free !

Cool..

I have a flat, its small but its a nice area.. it will suit us..

Public transport, I have been knocked of my Motorbike only three weeks ago.. Avoiding a car I slid into a kerb at a relativly slow speed.. I have two broken fingers and a sore toe.

The bike also hit the kerb.. Ouch.

Then the car hit a bit of an MOT wallet raid…

So, public transport… It may break down but I won't have to pay to fix the damn thing if it does..

All is good..

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Moving to the corrupt city hey. I've done the same myself, for much the same reasons - although i'd much prefer to be able to live back in the west country. You'll miss Devon a lot mind, just make sure you try and get out now and again to keep your sanity.

To be honest I have spent years in the south east before and in bristol..

I get itchy feet.. But the powder seems to be working..

:)

HOLA4416

best is to rent a place within walking distance from work. i did this a couple of years ago and would find it hard to go back to commuting. i even moved house when my office moved! a 10 minute walk to work is great! :)

HOLA4417

Good luck apom. Gimme a shout when you get here. I can't see the point in working anywhere else in the UK other than London :)

yep, london really is the only place to work....?

in my parting shot to london, you can read these daily headlines EVERY day

90 minutes of hell for 200 stuck on Tube

NEARLY 200 Tube passengers were stuck for an hour-and-a-half on board two stranded trains. Paramedics were on standby to assist the passengers after they were eventually led to safety. The incident on the Picadilly line, operated by the Tube Lines consortium, caused massive disruption.

Rail prices drive travellers back to their cars

THOUSANDS of rail passengers are returning to car travel because they cannot afford train tickets. Seven out of 10 leisure users told a Passenger Focus survey that they will not travel by train because it is too expensive, with 44 per cent of those planning to switch to their cars.

Gunpoint muggings up a third in London

Gun robberies on the capitals streets have soared by a third. The number of muggings involving guns or the threat of firearms rose to 1,494 in the 12 monthsto 5 April, compared with 1,115 in teh previous 12 months. School-age robberies are soaring, with 50 children mugged every day in London.

thats just from todays Evening Standard Lite....

HOLA4418

yep, london really is the only place to work....?

in my parting shot to london, you can read these daily headlines EVERY day

90 minutes of hell for 200 stuck on Tube

NEARLY 200 Tube passengers were stuck for an hour-and-a-half on board two stranded trains. Paramedics were on standby to assist the passengers after they were eventually led to safety. The incident on the Picadilly line, operated by the Tube Lines consortium, caused massive disruption.

Rail prices drive travellers back to their cars

THOUSANDS of rail passengers are returning to car travel because they cannot afford train tickets. Seven out of 10 leisure users told a Passenger Focus survey that they will not travel by train because it is too expensive, with 44 per cent of those planning to switch to their cars.

Gunpoint muggings up a third in London

Gun robberies on the capitals streets have soared by a third. The number of muggings involving guns or the threat of firearms rose to 1,494 in the 12 monthsto 5 April, compared with 1,115 in teh previous 12 months. School-age robberies are soaring, with 50 children mugged every day in London.

thats just from todays Evening Standard Lite....

Yep, London's a great place. I have to be dragged kicking and screaming to go to a meeting there these days. If you travel out of the rush hour and get a taxi to whereever you're going - it is tolerable. If you have to travel in the rush hour and go on the tube ...

Well, I'd rather contemplate my navel than contemplate that. Cattle moved around the country in trucks travel better than people on the tube in rush hour.

HOLA4419

London is great but work close to where you live or vice-versa.

Commuting in London is absoutely horrible. I now have a 15 minute drive to work and the wife has a 5 minute walk.

Trains, tubes and buses can get stuffed. You are going to have to pay me a hell of a lot of money to get me using them in rush hour again.

Send me a PM if you want advice on wheres good and wheres bad.

Edited by jonewer

HOLA4420

I too would only live in London if I could either get to work rapidly or work from home a lot and actually lived somewhere colourful and not some bland cultureless nowhere of which there are hundreds in Greater London.

Actually, I've been thinking of applying to a job in my company that's in central London and moving. It's crap being on the fringes of greater london - expense, grime, lack of culture - yet none of the fun. Close enough for a day out now and again but not close enough just to pop in.

HOLA4421
Guest Bart of Darkness
If you have to travel in the rush hour and go on the tube ...

I know what you mean. Avoid the rush hour(s) though and travelling around by tube isn't too bad.

I like visiting London but am thankful that I can work anywhere in the UK as long as there's electricity, broadband access and a Post Office within reasonable distance.

HOLA4422

Having fun in London can be very expensive. (It can also be very cheap). Be careful how you live or else you might find yourself saving very little.

I'd recommend you rent in a godforsaken hovel in Northolt or Kenton. That way you get to see how grim life can be in London if you can't afford to buy in a decent area.

Add Wood Green to the list of godforsaken places. Northolt doesnt come close. Its an Eye opener especially if your from devon!

HOLA4423

Yep, I moved to London ~20 years ago. Within 18 months, the Tubes/Trains had given me a nervous breakdown. Bought a motorbike and have used it ever since. Mind you, you do have to be very, VERY careful.

Still, the nice thing is you can live further out, in a nice area for a cheaper rent, as the journey by bike is quick if you set out before 8:00 a.m. And you can always get a parking place if you get into Central London before 8:30 a.m. or so. That's what I tend to do.

Also, no parking fees or Congestion Charge. :D

Nomadd

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Guest Bart of Darkness

Having lived in both crap areas and nice areas of London, my advice is that it is worth spending an extra 20% on rent to live in a nice area with good amenities. Rough areas of London are thoroughly depressing and have a massive negative impact on quality of life.

Very true, and this also applies to any part of the UK.