House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gfromls

Further Rise In Uk Unemployment

Guest Alright Jack

That is a trend that will not end any time soon. And what happens to entitlements with higher unemployment? What happens to the tax base with higher unemployment?

Result = Some combination of rising rates and printing money to try to maintain the sprawling deficits. Will they succeed this time or is the current currency at the end of its inevitable journey?

Aside:

The other day I refered to our government as 'pick pockets'... well, here's more proof (like you really need any more!)

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5171222.stm

To quote the BBC on the rise in unemployment to over 1.6 million "Analysts said the latest figures may help to ease worries of inflationary pressures in the economy."

Breathtaking spin. :o

Panic on the streets of London

Panic on the streets of Birmingham

I wonder to myself

Could life ever be sane again ?

The Leeds side-streets that you slip down

Provincial towns you jog 'round

I wonder to myself

Prices may rise on the Grasmere

But Honey Pie, you're not safe here

So you run down

To the safety of the town

But there's Panic on the streets of Carlisle

Dublin, Dundee, Humberside

I wonder to myself

Burn down the halifax

Hang the blessed EA

Because the prices that they constantly display

BEAR NOTHING TO ME AND MY LIFE

if its not unemployment, then its the terror bomb that will bring us together.

To quote the BBC on the rise in unemployment to over 1.6 million "Analysts said the latest figures may help to ease worries of inflationary pressures in the economy."

Spin indeed, however it is of course true that rising unemployment reduces the inflationary pressures.

Yes this is how Bloomberg reported it also.

"Always look on the bright side of life"

I wonder if all these newly unemployed folk feel better now that their redundancies have "helped ease inflationary pressures on the economy"?

What a crock of sh*te. I've been saying we're in a recession for nearly a year now and this further underlines my point.

Spin indeed, however it is of course true that rising unemployment reduces the inflationary pressures.

What about the people who are still employed. Their taxes will go up to support the unemployed.

Crime will go up, more taxes will be required to deal with it.

What about the people who are still employed. Their taxes will go up to support the unemployed.

Crime will go up, more taxes will be required to deal with it.

Rising taxes are deflationary aren't they, since they reduce spending power and hence demand, so this wouldn't lead to higer IRs, per se.

You could make the sensible link that higher taxes are deflationary for house prices of course, but I don't believe higher taxes will\ lead to higher IRs

Panic on the streets of London

Panic on the streets of Birmingham

I wonder to myself

Could life ever be sane again ?

The Leeds side-streets that you slip down

Provincial towns you jog 'round

I wonder to myself

Prices may rise on the Grasmere

But Honey Pie, you're not safe here

So you run down

To the safety of the town

But there's Panic on the streets of Carlisle

Dublin, Dundee, Humberside

I wonder to myself

Burn down the halifax

Hang the blessed EA

Because the prices that they constantly display

BEAR NOTHING TO ME AND MY LIFE

if its not unemployment, then its the terror bomb that will bring us together.

i just cannot get morrissey outa my mind now -- hang the ea, hang the ea, hang the ea.....................hang the ea. repeat.

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/12072006/140/uk-jo...-year-high.html

Wednesday July 12, 11:27 AM

UK Jobless Total Hits Six-Year High

Unemployment rose by 90,000 between March and May to 1.65 million, taking the overall level to 5.4% of the workforce. That is the highest level in six years, since October 2000. The number of people claiming unemployment benefit increased by 5,900 last month to 956,600, said the Office for National Statistics, representing 3% of the workforce.

I wonder how much longer the VIs are going to be saying that positive employment numbers continue to underpin confidence in higher house prices?

The economic cycle is unwinding and higher IR worldwide should tip us over the edge which will be good news for the HPC but not so good if you lose your job. :(