House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Englebert

Allsop Doesn't Like Hips

Just heard that beautiful creature that is Kirsty on the Today programme together with the Tories attacking HIPS. Well, if she's against it that means HIPS must be a good thing then.....Personally I think HIPS is a great idea.

Just heard that beautiful creature that is Kirsty on the Today programme together with the Tories attacking HIPS. Well, if she's against it that means HIPS must be a good thing then.....Personally I think HIPS is a great idea.

She's a tory aint she?

This has been debated ad nauseam. HIPs are going to give you (even) higher house prices.

Estate agents don't like them because they KNOW (they do, actually, know more about the property market than us) HIPs are going to choke supply and this will mean less business but higher prices. Bad for them and bad for you.

HIPs are yet another tax. Gordon is salivating thinking of all that lovely VAT.

People are incredibly thick.

If you sell a 300k house and pay the agent 1.5% commission = you will pay £5287.50 (including VAT).

If you buy another house at say 350k you will pay £10,500 stamp duty.

If you need a HIP it will cost you say up to £1000 (let's say including VAT)

Removal van will set you back £2k

And then there is your solicitor who will have at least £500 off you.

That's a total of £19,287.50.

Add in a few bits of new furniture and you have a nice round £20k.

But if you say to people, 'you realise that house move cost you £20k' - or in the case of someone I spoke to recently who sold a house for £385k and bought one for £575k (don't know how they managed it - either an inheritance or a really serious mortgage) 'you realise that house move cost you £35k' they look at you uncomprehendingly. 'But we paid for that out of the profit on the last house'

I say 'it doesn't matter which way you look at it, if you hadn't had to pay the estate agent and stamp duty, your mortgage would be £30k (whatever) less than it is now'. If people make a few moves like that by the time they are ready to get out of the market (their property being their pension!) they will be carrying 100k of debt that they have used to pay estate agents and stamp duty.

Edited by Marina

surely it will just mean that people serious about selling will be the only ones advertising?

Will it not return us to a cleaner model of supply and demand? Rather than the totally speculative 'ask 3 times what you really expect and hope some muppet pays' perhaps we will get down to the basics of asking sensible sellable prices.

Edited by RichB

This has been debated ad nauseam. HIPs are going to give you (even) higher house prices.

Estate agents don't like them because they KNOW (they do, actually, know more about the property market than us) HIPs are going to choke supply and this will mean less business but higher prices. Bad for them and bad for you.

Also less sellers = less competition for other houses!!

surely it will just mean that people serious about selling will be the only ones advertising?

Will it not return us to a cleaner model of supply and demand? Rather than the totally speculative 'ask 3 times what you really expect and hope some muppet pays' perhaps we will get down to the basics of asking sensible sellable prices.

yes good point.

at the moment a lot of 'sellers' are simply idiot fishing.

True, but there will be less of them. Like it of not, a lot of people put their property on the market just to 'test the market' and, before they know where they are, they find they have a buyer so they find somewhere to buy and the deal gets done. In a market which is nearly always characterized by a lack of supply (courtesy of our insane planning laws and, of course, the fact that more and more property is now owned by investors), only having 'serious' sellers will move prices up.

Will it not return us to a cleaner model of supply and demand? Well, if we have a 'dirty' model now, so be it - we have a 'dirty' model - but a model nonetheless. Rather than the totally speculative 'ask 3 times what you really expect and hope some muppet pays' perhaps we will get down to the basics of asking sensible sellable prices. Why use hyperbole? The fact is that the speculative ask will probably be 25k above the market price - not 3 times. Using hyperbole makes the argument disappear.

She doesn't like Hips but has carries round two enourmous ones. :lol:

Seriously, I think HIPS will weed out the sellers looking to 'test the market', will bring down costs, particuarly important for FTBs, will shorten the process with less chance of chains falling through and shifts the balance slightly away from being s seller's market. I'm sure the system will need tweaking and perhaps should be broadened in scope to include things like rights of way but I imagine in a year or so we'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

For those of you who fancy Kirsty - imagine her with no hair - I mean just look at her face and cut out the effect of the hair.

Are you suggesting that she has “nice hair” ?

For those of you who fancy Kirsty - imagine her with no hair - I mean just look at her face and cut out the effect of the hair.

You made avery good point about how much the taxman gets out of a move - ultimately paid for by FTBs (given that it comes out of the 'profit on selling'. If you add all the VAT into the stamp duty I wonder how much they actually get on average. As I say, the tab it ultimately picked up by FTBs who then spend the next 25 years trying to pay it back.

She hs promising lips and if you ignored everything else you might just be able to imagine it. Then again, maybe you can't. :unsure:

Are you suggesting that she has “nice hair” ?

God no! Just saw her on the box the other night and, for some reason, looked just at her face - and took away the framing of her hair. In case by any bizarre twist she reads these posts, I'll say no more and leave you to judge for yourself.

It does infuriate me, Krusty that is.

Have you read the Daily Mail? Apparantly HIPs will cause a market slump.

Have you read the Guardian? Apparantly HIPs will cause rocketing house prices.

If the arguments are about the number of available surveyors (as the guardian says), delay HIPs until there is enough trained - don't scrap the whole thing. It's only a logistical problem.

Yet again, I say. Why would you pay for an MOT on a car you have not bought, and the seller can refuse to sell it to you after you have paid for one?

HIPs are yet another tax. Gordon is salivating thinking of all that lovely VAT.

People are incredibly thick.

If you sell a 300k house and pay the agent 1.5% commission = you will pay £5287.50 (including VAT).

If you buy another house at say 350k you will pay £10,500 stamp duty.

If you need a HIP it will cost you say up to £1000 (let's say including VAT)

Removal van will set you back £2k

And then there is your solicitor who will have at least £500 off you.

That's a total of £19,287.50.

Add in a few bits of new furniture and you have a nice round £20k.

But if you say to people, 'you realise that house move cost you £20k' - or in the case of someone I spoke to recently who sold a house for £385k and bought one for £575k (don't know how they managed it - either an inheritance or a really serious mortgage) 'you realise that house move cost you £35k' they look at you uncomprehendingly. 'But we paid for that out of the profit on the last house'

I say 'it doesn't matter which way you look at it, if you hadn't had to pay the estate agent and stamp duty, your mortgage would be £30k (whatever) less than it is now'. If people make a few moves like that by the time they are ready to get out of the market (their property being their pension!) they will be carrying 100k of debt that they have used to pay estate agents and stamp duty.

Well put, say in the same place and buy BTL's instead.

Guest mattsta1964

Good idea eh! LOL

Just another way to exercise control and micromanage peoples' lives more like.

You can't even wire plug in your own home anymore without notifying some council bureaucrat and getting it NICEIC certified. You can't do a anything in your own home anymore. Now, there's gonna be an army of snoopers reporting what work has been done and what needs doing in your home. All home improvements already have to be certified by some numpy with letters after his name. Personally, I ignore all of it. I wired my own home cos i know it will be safe rather than pay £2500 to some charlie who would make a worse job of it than me. But when it comes to the home survey, I'll just have to lie and say the work was done before the regulations came in preventing people from doing the work themselves. Yet another loss of freedom from the pseudo fascists who run this country. The gas regulations are even worse. The gas fitters are on a college course every month just to keep up with the changing legislation, condensing boilers and the like. Soon, you'll have to have yellow and black chevrons above every doorway with 'DANGER - MAX HEADROOM 6'6" emblazoned on them to stop tall people bumping their heads. Then there are the council rubbish snoopers! Creeping around in your garden with digital cameras to make sure you're dividing your rubbish into the correct recycle bins. Don't laugh too hard. This is how it will be very soon

How long does a HIP last? Do you have to get a new one after three months, or a year, or when? If you put a house on the market for X months and it doesn't sell, do you have to get a new one?

Hmmmm..... if so, could put time pressure on sellers. Even though it'll only cost 1000 pounds to get a new one, many people will think about lowering prices when their HIP expires

HIPS will remove kite flyers. No kite flyers -> headline falls in asking prices.

Good for FTBs, good for people moving up the ladder, bad for property developers/flippers.

btp

Edited by backtoparents

Kirsty wasn't totally against the idea - she liked the part where sellers must get their legal stuff together. Her main point was that it's a massive change to solve a small problem - a small percentage of sales fall through because of the survey, and anyway the CML won't accept the seller's survey, so two surveys and one survey for an FTB (as now).

The only effect will be a rush before they come in, increasing the supply and lowering prices, and then hiked up asking prices after they are introduced. Long term, little impact, just another tax in effect.

Kirsty wasn't totally against the idea - she liked the part where sellers must get their legal stuff together. Her main point was that it's a massive change to solve a small problem - a small percentage of sales fall through because of the survey, and anyway the CML won't accept the seller's survey, so two surveys and one survey for an FTB (as now).

The only effect will be a rush before they come in, increasing the supply and lowering prices, and then hiked up asking prices after they are introduced. Long term, little impact, just another tax in effect.

As a long term would be ftb, anything which jolts the rotten machinery that is the housing market is good by me.

"Kirsty wasn't totally against the idea - she liked the part where sellers must get their legal stuff together"

Do you honestly think that All-shite is bothered about sellers getting their legal stuff together?..........all she's interested in is perpetuating the status quo. If Kirsty is against it (and now unfortunately the Tories - just when I was beginning to consider them vote worthy) then that means it is a good thing. Is HIPS just another tax?......frankly, I don't care. All I know is that the astronomical price of houses, these days, in itself, is akin to being taxed to the hilt. As a previous poster has mentioned, would you buy a car without an MOT?

Kirsty was hysterical on the Today programme:

K: The packs will cost home sellers 1000 pounds.

T: You hear that figure bandied around a lot, what evidence is there to support it?

K: None at all

Ha! I laughed so much I accidentally woke up properly and had to get up and have a shower.