House Price Crash Forum
Perfectionist

My Local Diy Store Just Went Bust ! :(

Just wanted to pop into my local independant DIY shop (I try to avoid the big chains if possible) and saw he has closed down ..... it's probably been six months since I saw him last and he seemed just as busy as usual ??

Have things taken a grinding halt in BTL land ?

Funny, as he was telling me last year that the past 5 years he's made more money than the past 20 !!

Guest Alright Jack

Just wanted to pop into my local independant DIY shop (I try to avoid the big chains if possible) and saw he has closed down ..... it's probably been six months since I saw him last and he seemed just as busy as usual ??

Funny, as he was telling me last year that the past 5 years he's made more money than the past 20 !!

You were probably his only customer.

Why in god's name would anyone use local shops over the big stores? Big stores offer huge range at far lower prices. I guess it's some form of masechism. Local shops deserve to go bust, the money grabbing free loading gits.

Hopefully he has retired early on his fruitful gains.

Edited by warwickbloke

Depends on the local store - yes some of them are out and out rip-offs. Some of the packeted/blister packed stuff you get in the sheds is also bad value for money; up to 10x the price for some small items available elsewhere. Then you have the time/petrol to factor in, oh I forgot one of the last remainig thriving pastimes in the UK is aimlessly strolling round the DIY sheds/out of town malls.

Edited by OnlyMe

Well if he had made enough money, I think he would have sold his business on ...... but the shop has been cleared out and the windows white-washed ......

Seems more like a bankruptcy or his landlord decided to ramp up his rent making him jump ship .....

Edited by Perfectionist

Must have spent more in the last five years than in the previous 20 too! When times are good, stock-pile your nuts. Then you will have nuts saved inside when here there none to be found outside!

Why in god's name would anyone use local shops over the big stores?

Better service. My local big franchised Focus DIY store swore blind they didn't have a drill I was after when I rang up. As it happened I needed to go there anyway for something else so I asked about the drills. I had to push them like mad to get them to go in the back and look for one (obviously they didn't want my £70). It turned out they had four! Even the manager didn't care that noone had bothered to look in the back when I'd phoned up earlier. Clearly they didn't want anyone else's money either 'cause they closed a few months later. The thing I like about little shops is that each customer represents a significant proportion of the shop's turnover, so they treat you like you matter. Furthermore, you usually deal with the proprietor, who cares about the shop making some money, as opposed to some disinterested teenager who'd rather be racing round the local Mc Donald's car park in his Mum's Corsa.

Edited by Bingley Bloke

Why in god's name would anyone use local shops over the big stores? Big stores offer huge range at far lower prices. I guess it's some form of masechism. Local shops deserve to go bust, the money grabbing free loading gits.

because the sales people in smaller shops generally know about the products they are selling and will help you buy the right product. Plus you tend to get more polite service.

Also big companies will eventually take over, and we won't get choice anymore -we will only get what they want to sell us because big business only cares about profit.

If he's a small business -the biggest killer is often rent - it won't surprise you that there are thousands of people who have bought commerical property and have whacked up the rents, forcing independents out - so the only people who can afford to be on the High Street are chains. They have then turned to suburban shops and done the same. With business rates rocketing too, it's quite tough out there for small independents.

it won't surprise you that there are thousands of people who have bought commerical property and have whacked up the rents

Those people aren't called 'Tesco' by any chance, are they?

Better service. My local big franchised Focus DIY store swore blind they didn't have a drill I was after when I rang up. As it happened I needed to go there anyway for something else so I asked about the drills. I had to push them like mad to get them to go in the back and look for one (obviously they didn't want my £70). It turned out they had four! Even the manager didn't care that noone had bothered to look in the back when I'd phoned up earlier. Clearly they didn't want anyone else's money either 'cause they closed a few months later. The thing I like about little shops is that each customer represents a significant proportion of the shop's turnover, so they treat you like you matter. Furthermore, you usually deal with the proprietor, who cares about the shop making some money, as opposed to some disinterested teenager who'd rather be racing round the local Mc Donald's car park in his Mum's Corsa.

Damn right. My local independant hardware store is 4x the store Homebase is despite being 1/4 the size. I'm guarenteed personal friendly service by someone who actually knows something about DIY. They've always got what I want and better still if I don't know exactly what I do want, they can fill in the blanks. Oh and the prices are very similar to Homebase.

(No, its not a knocking shop!)

some disinterested teenager who'd rather be racing round the local Mc Donald's car park in his Mum's Corsa.

thats cos its low paid, still living with parents at 24, with no prospect of getting on the property ladder. Whats worse, you have to serve damm property flippers and renovators, and mewed homeowners EVERYDAY - who are doing up - yes, THEIR OWN HOMES

Bwahahahahhaha :lol::o:ph34r::unsure:

With the cost of petrol added to wear and tear and servicing of your transport cheaper to shop locally !!

True, Rent is a homocidal maniac ......

If Landlords keep raising rents which forces the small independents to close up ...... they will be left with empty properties and no income stream ...... WTF !!

Surely if you have one business that is struggling to make enough profit to pay the Rent ...... chances are most other business that take up the property will be in the same position ...... so why force the poor guy out ??

Are Commercial Landlords even dumber than the average BTL brigade ??

With the cost of petrol added to wear and tear and servicing of your transport cheaper to shop locally !!

Parked for 6 hours in exeter.. cost over £8

Homicidal...? still cross a week later