House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
neilrich

'boom Time For Jobs In The North'

Here's a good example of how the Labour Party try and buy the vote of those in the North

What a load of bol**cks, if you are looking for a good laugh read the following nonsense.......

Boom time for jobs in the NorthJul 9 2006

By Robert Weatherall, Sunday Sun

The North could be set for a jobs boom as the region starts to catch up with the rest of the UK.

Economic growth in the area is at its highest for 15 years and is ahead of the rest of the country.

The claim comes from Neville Chamberlain, the man challenged by under fire Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott to transform the region's prospects and allow it to start rivaling the South for investment.

Mr Chamberlain, chairman of the Government-backed Northern Way, made his comments in a speech to Treasury chiefs.

He said: "The renaissance that is being led by our city regions across the North is plain to see. Is this a blip? We think not."

Mr Chamberlain argued that latest figures showing growth up to the end of 2004 reveal the North is beginning to outperform the rest of the UK.

He said that while average UK growth was just 22.8 per cent from 2000 to 2004, the North had seen an increase of 22.9pc.

Mr Chamberlain has been given £100m by Mr Prescott to tackle the £30bn productivity gap between this region and the rest of the UK during the next 20 years and argues that an economically stronger North would benefit the country and relieve pressure on an over-crowded South East.

Among the top performing places in the region are North Yorkshire, Darlington and Northumberland. But Hartlepool, Stockton, South Teesside and Durham were not performing as strongly.

The need to reduce the productivity gap was emphasised by Pat Ritchie, director of strategy and development with One NorthEast, who said: "Bridging the productivity gap between the North and the South East of England is a key priority for One NorthEast.

"There is still a long way to go but we are delighted that the results are starting to show."

Mr Chamberlain said the North needed to offer a "credible alternative location" for high-value economic activities. But he stressed the only way of doing this would be to make the region "nearer" to London by improving connections in terms of infrastructure and education.

He added: "The Northern Way's contention is that a more successful North would reduce pressures on the South.

The Northern Way is a collaboration of One NorthEast, Yorkshire Forward and North West Regional Development Agency. Its aims are to create jobs, improve education, encourage entrepreneurs, attract global markets, improve access to ports and airports and improve transport between towns and cities.

Sunday Sun

Edited by neilrich

Here's a good example of how the Labour Party try and buy the vote of those in the North

What a load of bol**cks, if you are looking for a good laugh read the following nonsense.......

Sunday Sun

Neville Chamberlain?? Shurley shome mistake?

"With these pieces of paper (fiat currency) I guarantee (non)-jobs in our time!!! <_<

Newcastle upon Tyne this past week has seen 585 jobs lost with the closure of a tyre factory. Then it was the Swan Hunter ship yard to close and loose over 200 jobs as the MOD move unfinished ship to Glasgow, the ship is a year overdue and 100% over budget while still a year from completion.

But there is no need to panic up North.......because

Hundreds of jobs will be created on Tyneside with the opening of a Danish furniture store.

Up to 350 new positions will be up for grabs at the new Ilva store on the site of the old Marks & Spencer Lifestore at Gateshead's MetroCentre.

Recruitment will begin next week for the store, which is scheduled to open to the public in three months' time.

The M&S Lifestore opened in February 2004, but less than a year later it closed its doors for good after sales which were well below target.

Danish furniture giant Ilva will now go head-to-head with rivals Ikea from Sweden in a flat-pack war.

:lol:

It's a funny one up here. Most if not all my friends are employed by government organisations, some have the most comical job roles, some have been made redundant and then walked into other comedy government roles.

If you want to see how a welfare state would work, look no further than the lovely Teesside (I shudder). Yet so many people wearing bling and thinking they are the dogs b*llocks.

<_<

Edit: I wonder how long it can go on for? When the Uni students start apsiring to government jobs, you know the boom would have ended.

Edited by Golden Shower

"...economically stronger North would benefit the country and relieve pressure on an over-crowded South East."

Yeah Prescott. We love serving 'the country'. We really want a rich overclass, completely unaffordable houses, tonnes of immigrants, jammed roads and no water.

Long live unemployment. Death to fat boy's plans.

The problem with the North isn't the lack of jobs it's the lack of jobs paying decent wages. The £17K I'm on is actually good for where I live :o We had one of the directors in my department yesterday congratulating us for keeping costs down. Bloody pompous tw@.

Edited by Bingley Bloke

Guest Bart of Darkness

The problem with the North isn't the lack of jobs it's the lack of jobs paying decent wages. The £17K I'm on is actually good for where I live :o We had one of the directors in my department yesterday congratulating us for keeping costs down. Bloody pompous tw@.

I remember being told that I would get no pay rise one year as part of "belt tightening" yet one of the directors gets a brand new Saab convertable (paid for by the company).

Clueless.

I just stopped off in Fishguard in Pembrokeshire (what a horrible place) and noticed one of the garages by the ferry terminal was no longer operational, though the back office had been taken over by a 'composting advisory office' funded by the government. Was trying to envisage what they advised people to do? Here's a compost bin - lift the lid - put in your kitchen waste - put the lid back on - wait??????????????????????

Edited by gruffydd

BB, BoD: your employers must be following the motivational teachings of Dr. E. L. Kersten.

Check out his 'Art of Demotivation' on www.despair.com

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and watch his 'Principles of Organisational Storytelling' video. :D

I remember being told that I would get no pay rise one year as part of "belt tightening" yet one of the directors gets a brand new Saab convertable (paid for by the company).

We get an annual bonus that's equal to a percentage of a year's pay. We all get the same percent (regardless of how hard we've worked) so people on higher wages get more. My bonus is about 24% of the shortfall between what I am paid and what I should be paid, while the HR director spends some of his bonus on a new car. The last car he bought was a Lexus 4WD, so that gives you an idea of the rich:poor ratio in my place of work :rolleyes:

Another blow to the regional economy if you believe the article on page 8 of Today's Newcastle Journal!

North is 'too rich' for industrial aid

Millions of pounds of vital industrial aid targeted at the North-East could be lost after the Government announced a third of the areas currently eligible for the cash were now considered to be too prosperous.

Despite one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, ministers yesterday announced plans to dramatically cut the number of North-East areas eligible for assisted area status from 2007.

You have to wonder what effect the London Olympics shall have on the North-East, over the coming six years how many hundreds of millions of pounds shall be diverted away from our region in favour of the South East, they have so much to do in order to get London ready and it shall be billions over budget. You only have to think of the Millennium Dome or the Wembley Stadium, perhaps the Olympics shall be third time lucky! :lol: