House Price Crash Forum

You Cannot Be Serious!

HOLA441
HOLA442

A 5 bed detached opposite me in a town just as nice as St. Albans (and about the same distance from London and just as commutable etc.) with 2 ensuites, dressing room to master, re-fitted bathrooms and kitchens throughout - all very nice - has just sold (without the agent's board even going up it sold so quickly) for just under 500k.

As you say, your example does take the biscuit. You'd think it was in Chiswick for that money.

I like the 'no upper chain'. Too right, they'll take their 600k, bugger off to France or Wales or even Somerset, buy a nice detached place in the country for 200k and take life at a much steadier pace.

What cracks me up is the chain of people that will be below that property purchase. All with huge mortgage millstones around their neck so the person who owns that house can semi-retire. I tell you brothers and sisters, those people with those mortgage millstones are saints to sacrifice so much so that a complete stranger can live a life of luxury.

Fair play to them.

Edited by Marina

HOLA443

I like the 'no upper chain'. Too right, they'll take their 600k, bugger off to France or Wales or even Somerset, buy a nice detached place in the country for 200k and take life at a much steadier pace.

er, I don't think you're right.

Looking at the decor and furnishings here's my guess.

1. This family home is being sold because the last parent is recently deceased or

2. Is now going into a residential home.

If it's the latter, then that 600k is going to get eaten into a bit over the next few years.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I phoned up Foxtons and told the agent how much he had cheered me up this weekend with this joke property of the week. Me "It's a bit late for April 1st?" Reply... "we have had six viewings today Sir!"

Reminds me of the old joke on how to grow mushrooms. Keep them in the dark and feed them bulls**t

HOLA446
HOLA447

It's on with Frost's not Foxton's and what you have failed to notice is that it is in "a much favoured, prestigious location just a few minutes walk from the open spaces of Clarence Park" - hence it is no doubt worth every penny. I expect it to sell in days.

NOT!!!!

HOLA448
Guest mattsta1964

It's on with Frost's not Foxton's and what you have failed to notice is that it is in "a much favoured, prestigious location just a few minutes walk from the open spaces of Clarence Park" - hence it is no doubt worth every penny. I expect it to sell in days.

NOT!!!!

Just nearly spilt coffee all over the keyboard looking at that link! Utter insanity

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Points and laughs!

An impressive bay fronted character property

looks like an ex local council end of terrace circa 1950's to me.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest Bart of Darkness
An impressive bay fronted character property that has been well maintained
but would benefit from some updating

The seller's expectations might also benefit from some updating.

Or maybe not.

What £600,000 buys round my way.

Link.

HOLA4416

The seller's expectations might also benefit from some updating.

Or maybe not.

What £600,000 buys round my way.

Link.

Can someone go round and view the property, laugh in ht EA's face and offer 180K.....................Please ..........I'll pay you!!!

HOLA4417

I live in St. Albans and sadly prices are crazy here. That house will sell as there are so few properties on the market. I think it is way overpriced like everything here. Two years ago houses like that were selling for 450k. That is a lot but it is St. Albans.

I'm going to try and view it as I'm curious.

pim

HOLA4418

I'm stunned :o

Actually, according to nethouseprices, someone paid £781,000 for a semi on Brampton Road this April. It must be a VERY SPECIAL road. I have been to St Albans on several occasions and can only imagine that Brampton Road is somehow seperate from the unrelenting dullness of the rest of the place.

£200,000 was about the norm in 2000 - 2001...

HOLA4419

Fair play to them.

I doubt you'd get a nice detached place in Somerset for 200k. Maybe a run down shack with Straw Dogs for neighbours that's got zero amenities or, er, somewhere near Bridgwater. For realistically you might get a decent 4 bed terrace in Taunton with on street parking or a desperately bland 70s suburban house with that brown cladding stuff on the front and a cheap basketball ring on the house next door.

Anyway, why would anyone want to live in St Albans anyone? It's full of chav drunks on a Friday night, porsche driving tosser brokers during the day, unparkable on Saturday, and if you have kids they'll grow up to be self-mutilating depressives out of sheer boredom.

Nice market, though.

HOLA4420

I live in St. Albans and sadly prices are crazy here. That house will sell as there are so few properties on the market. I think it is way overpriced like everything here. Two years ago houses like that were selling for 450k. That is a lot but it is St. Albans.

I'm going to try and view it as I'm curious.

pim

I'm going round to take a look from the outside. I wonder if its the skill of the EA photographer but would like to know if it looks as much like a council house as the picture suggests.

HOLA4421

I'm going round to take a look from the outside. I wonder if its the skill of the EA photographer but would like to know if it looks as much like a council house as the picture suggests.

You can buy a 3-4 bed barn conversion for that money in the Home Counties!!!!! Why pay so much for a poxy semi???????

HOLA4422

er, I don't think you're right.

Looking at the decor and furnishings here's my guess.

1. This family home is being sold because the last parent is recently deceased or

2. Is now going into a residential home.

If it's the latter, then that 600k is going to get eaten into a bit over the next few years.

It does help to explain why MEW is still going up year on year - house prices have kept going up, so people at the top of the chain who are either downsizing or getting out of the market completely (dead or alive) are cashing in a greater amount than ever before. Transactions have gone up as well so there is more MEWing going on.

I just wonder what happens when all the equity in this country has been replaced by debt and the people at the top of the chain have huge mortgages even as they're about to leave the market?

Does the market crash before we get to that point? Or does the UK just start to look like a 3rd world country with a huge amount of debt?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Do get back to us a_j I need to know the true story behind this house and street! Is it REALLY EXCLUSIVE even though ex councils goin for nearly a million squid! St Albans is a a pile of tosh, just a load of londoners who want to feel theyre out in the country!

HOLA4425