House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Marina

Government To Ride Roughshod Over Planning Laws

It appears the government is prepared to take on the vested interests and drive a coach and horses through the restrictive planning laws that have a stranglehold on development in this country.

Soon, one of 25 new nuclear reactors will be in a field near you. Fair play to Tony Blair, always said he was balls.

Edited by Marina

It appears the government is prepared to take on the vested interests and drive a coach and horses through the restrictive planning laws that have a stranglehold on development in this country.

Soon, one of 25 new nuclear reactors will be in a field near you. Fair play to Tony Blair, always said he was balls.

Good job those far sighted planners have only allowed 5% of land in England to be residential build, plenty of open space for reactors.

All those that complained against this as well.............

Personally I'd be delighted to have one in a field near me; much more so than the alternative carbon and soot spewing monster or 1000 windmills.

They keep house prices down too.

They'll have to do the same for incinerator's (or euphemistically 'energy from waste' plants) to solve the growing waste mountain, following the incompetance from the councils, non-profit & corp sectors in dealing with it, now landfills running out.

Probably will be tied into the energy thing as well to help steam roller it.

They'll have to do the same for incinerator's (or euphemistically 'energy from waste' plants) to solve the growing waste mountain, following the incompetance from the councils, non-profit & corp sectors in dealing with it, now landfills running out.

Probably will be tied into the energy thing as well to help steam roller it.

John Prescott has announced a contingency plan. When the landfills are all full, waste will be compacted into cubes and surrounded with papier-mache (from recycled paper - natch). The cubes will be painted green and stockpiled all over the non-productive but essentially beautiful southern English countryside - where John has decided most of the reactors will be as, 'for too long the beautiful, wild countryside of the North has been sacrificed to be the engine of our economy while the bloody, soft, pouffy Southerners have had it easy (apart of course from having to have enough houses for half the Scots, Northerners, Welsh and Irish).

When the inevitable happens and we get Chernobyl 2, helicopters will swoop in, pick up the bales of rubbish and cover the reactor with them to a depth of 100'. 25 million tons of concrete will then be poured over the lot and a whole range of facilities created including 4 new international standard ski slopes.

With brains like John Prescott's in the government, no-one has anything to fear.

The will cluster them around existing sites, because in some (many?) cases the locals work in the industry and benefit from the jobs, no problems with nimbysim.

Edited by 2MeterBear

The will cluster them around existing sites, because in some (many?) cases the locals work in the industry and benefit from the jobs, no problems with nimbysim.

Where are the existing ones? Sizewell in Suffolk, Dungeness in Kent (?) ... Windscale (is that a processing plant or a reactor)

I'm a bit more worried about the inevitable asteroid hitting the earth myself; do far more damage that will.

Are you? Every morning I wake up and run through my list of things to worry about and that one doesn't even make the list.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Where are the existing ones? Sizewell in Suffolk, Dungeness in Kent (?) ... Windscale (is that a processing plant or a reactor)

Are you? Every morning I wake up and run through my list of things to worry about and that one doesn't even make the list.

I think the dinosaurs left it off their list as well. :o

I think the dinosaurs left it off their list as well. :o

Big mistake then, as they could presumably have taken avoiding action if they had seen it coming!

In Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' (really interesting book if you have not read it) this subject is covered. Apparently even with our current level of technology, satellites, telescopes in space etc., the chances of our seeing an asteroid big enough to do serious damage (including the full wipe-out job) is very remote. And, even if we did see it coming, it would only be a few hours before impact before we noticed it and we wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyway (Bruce Willis will not be needed).

Before the smart ones amongst you tell me I'm talking rubbish, I am only repeating what it said in the book - and I got the impression the bloke had done some pretty serious research.

Perhaps that is the current state of things. But with upcoming technologies it will be possible to record and track every grain of dust in the solar system, in the end.

Let's hope we don't get hit by one of these (clickable) in the next few decades.

Ah, lets hope so, then NASA can dismiss conspiracy theorists and prove men landed on the moon five times.