House Price Crash Forum
redwing

Rightmove - "added In Last 7 Days"

Every week I search my local area on RightMove. I use the search 'added in the last ...' usually 7 days.

But I get some funny results like this one:

14135_100009614_IMG_03.JPG

RightMove Source

Don't you think that July is a little early for putting up the Christmas Tree?

Surely this property has been on the market longer than a week.

Do the agents keep on taking them off and then putting them back on each week just to keep them in my search?

Anyone got some evidence or explanation?

Alternatively, some more hilarious examples of wintry scenes would keep me amused on long hot summer nights.

edit: ps I tried to find ref. to this on the pinned RM topic but no luck

Edited by redwing

I don't bother visiting estate agents - but when I did a few months ago - many properties "back on the market" - with pics of outside and no leaves on trees.

Even increased my budget - just to get the pics so I could do "spot the mistake".

And now enjoy looking EA windows just to spot the "season" - giving and indication of how long on the market vs - what they say "new to market".

In fact, it was my Mum that got me on to this! Bless her, she came round with me at the time I was collecting brochures - and after visiting all of them - we compared notes in the coffee shop - on each property.

At the time of viewings and talking to EAs - she gushed .... if she was sitting at a table I would have kicked her .... didn't understand the game she was playing.

Her attitude was - you spot the mistakes - find the problems with property - but say you're interested and the EA bites ... and will move heaven and earth if they think you will be a sale. You just play naivie ... and play them back.

She should know - one of her son's is an EA and another a property developer. Her husband? A Structural Engineer.

Times were hard in her day too - but cleverly she has always been behind any move to a new property for the family - and with her clever ways - went from a three bed semi (i.e. 1 double + two box rooms) with a handkerchief for a garden to a detatched 6 bed house with 2 acres - a step up which cost them £3,000 in 1969 that was still a lot of money - but NOT the step up you'd have to achieve today. In fact, can't see that ever happening today.

Oh, and by the way on the "two income" thread - this was a woman who didn't work as she had five kids - but she cleaned her husband's office for free - every night to save the cleaners fees - and took his calls on reception when the receptionist was away to save the agency fees - and learnt how to use a word processor - so she could type reports late into the night so they could be in on time! She never got paid for that work - but she saved my Dad money by doing what she did.

I've said it before on this forum - I've lived in numerous places where the SOLD sign has gone up and it's still in viewing stages and the landlord knew nothing about the SOLD sign going up! Recently talking to friends this is still going on - they're renting from distant landlord - and the SOLD sign has gone up - but it's not even under offer - and the landlord doesn't know a thing. And the scam - a deal between EAs on the road - you advertise this - and it's better for the rest as the others will come out of the wordwork - and we'll all benefit and share!

I am registered with Rightmove at the moment - not for research - I am looking to buy.

So I have a number of saved searches and get notified by email each day as properties are added. Looking in various parts of Devon, Somerset, Dorset and Hampshire.

Just some observations really. I have looked at hundreds of property details in the last couple of weeks and, to be honest, I have only noticed leaves off the trees in a couple of them. The reason is always clear - they are over priced by a mile.

My other observation is - anything I like the look of so far is under offer. Found one today I fancied - rang the agent to make an appointment for tomorrow - he rang the vendor - sold through another agent. Market is buoyant I am afraid.

In fact, it was my Mum that got me on to this! Bless her, she came round with me at the time I was collecting brochures - and after visiting all of them - we compared notes in the coffee shop - on each property.

At the time of viewings and talking to EAs - she gushed .... if she was sitting at a table I would have kicked her .... didn't understand the game she was playing.

Her attitude was - you spot the mistakes - find the problems with property - but say you're interested and the EA bites ... and will move heaven and earth if they think you will be a sale. You just play naivie ... and play them back.

She should know - one of her son's is an EA so your brother then? and another a property developer. Her husband? Your Dad? A Structural Engineer.

I've said it before on this forum - I've lived in numerous places where the SOLD sign has gone up and it's still in viewing stages and the landlord knew nothing about the SOLD sign going up! Recently talking to friends this is still going on - they're renting from distant landlord - and the SOLD sign has gone up - but it's not even under offer - and the landlord doesn't know a thing. And the scam - a deal between EAs on the road - you advertise this - and it's better for the rest as the others will come out of the wordwork - and we'll all benefit and share! Hmm, these places you have lived - did they have place names created by Hans Christian Andersen?

I am registered with Rightmove at the moment - not for research - I am looking to buy.

So I have a number of saved searches and get notified by email each day as properties are added. Looking in various parts of Devon, Somerset, Dorset and Hampshire.

Just some observations really. I have looked at hundreds of property details in the last couple of weeks and, to be honest, I have only noticed leaves off the trees in a couple of them. The reason is always clear - they are over priced by a mile.

My other observation is - anything I like the look of so far is under offer. Found one today I fancied - rang the agent to make an appointment for tomorrow - he rang the vendor - sold through another agent. Market is buoyant I am afraid.

"Found one today I fancied - rang the agent to make an appointment for tomorrow - he rang the vendor - sold through another agent. Market is buoyant I am afraid."

Give it a month, then try for the same property again - the transaction may have fallen through. I don't trust EA's....

"Found one today I fancied - rang the agent to make an appointment for tomorrow - he rang the vendor - sold through another agent. Market is buoyant I am afraid."

Give it a month, then try for the same property again - the transaction may have fallen through. I don't trust EA's....

I have rung the other agent and told him to let me know if it falls through.

I have a fair bit of experience dealing with estate agents. I sense a pretty laid-back attitude towards buyers at the moment. I am going to buy cash and I am renting - so nothing to sell. Time was when they would be biting your hand off - ringing you up when they took a new property on etc. Not any more. I am told to 'keep an eye on Rightmove because all our new properties appear on there.' I have rung a lot of agents about specific properties and they have said 'That one is sold'. If I were an agent I would then say 'Right, give me your details and I'll see what else we have you might be interested'. But I think I can honestly say all of them have just let me go. Not even bothered to ask if I want to go on a mailing list. When I have encountered this attitude before it is indicative that they are not having to work hard to shift property. It is, of course, also indicative of the fact that most estate agents are complete tossers.

But then we all know that.

Edited by Marina

http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/index.php/bl...the_right_move/

Rightmove has developed a fantastic business as the first port of call to those buying houses. The national obsession with property and prices has enabled it to become one of the UK's most popular sites, beating even Auto Trader, Friends Reunited and Tesco. But Patrick Hosking asks if its commitment to a home information packs (HIPs) division is a good thing.
Rightmove is sinking capital into the division at the rate of £1 million a month and will have spent at least £22 million before seeing a penny of revenue. At £800 a pack, this could be a colossal new market.
But then again, it may go pear-shaped. What started as a simple idea to save on the cost of searches by having home information packs produced by the vendor has been seized upon by bureaucrats and could turn into a costly nightmare. Solicitors don't like it, of course, but there are signs that it could prove expensive and unpopular. It is being done very badly, and hooked up to hobby horses like energy audits and other fashionable but unproductive stuff. Even though Rightmove's shares are doing well, Hosking gives advance warning that this could be a down side. Then again, they could, by getting in early on something that is to be mandatory, establish an unassailable and profitable lead. Ah, that's investment for you. Those who make shrewd judgments are rewarded, the over-optimistic lose out. And there's the element of sheer luck, of course.

Thanks for you contributions folks.

However, no one's been able to answer my question about the veracity of the "added in last x period" on Rightmove.

Using this search I do see a lot of properties that I remember having see on RM longer ago than the specified search period.

When I was signed up for email updates I would get the same properties "added as new" repeatedly.

If it isn't the EAs taking the property off and putting it back on to achieve this, there could be another explanation.

EAs who have their own websites can probably get someone to write some code to upload their properties directly into the Rightmove database via a "feed" system.

It's possible that the code written simply sends over every property every week regardless, rather than just running through modifying the ones which have changed. The result is that some EAs would forever have "new property" listed.

When I was signed up for email updates I would get the same properties "added as new" repeatedly.

If it isn't the EAs taking the property off and putting it back on to achieve this, there could be another explanation.

EAs who have their own websites can probably get someone to write some code to upload their properties directly into the Rightmove database via a "feed" system.

It's possible that the code written simply sends over every property every week regardless, rather than just running through modifying the ones which have changed. The result is that some EAs would forever have "new property" listed.

That would make sense. Just searched again. All properties 100 found. Added in last week 51 found. So there must be some lazy or inefficient agents who are not refreshing their properties each week.