House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sledgehead

"sense Of Opulence" = Terraced + Study/landing?

From this evening's Honey I ruined the House

Naomi Cleaver : "Ed, I understand you've spent a lot of time trying to install a sense of opulence into the house. I have to say I think you failed, but now, do you think, with our help, you've achieved that."

Ed (proud owner of red-brick, 2up/2down with paint coming off the windows ) : "Definately."

We then pan around Ed's 2U2D, which is straight out of Corry, taking in the wonderous transformation, notably the study, which is actually a staircase landing in the attic. The job has set him back £35,000. ( :blink::( )

Back to Naomi who now addresses Ed's girlfriend:

Naomi Cleaver : "So, will you be moving in now?"

Girlfriend : "The only thing stopping me was the state of the house."

Ahhhhh, true love...... :blink::huh::blink::huh:

Come to Britain in 2006, where every day is a series of dei ex machinas.

Edited by Sledgehead

For some peculiar reason, the British population seem to have amongst the lowest aspirations in the developed world when it comes to home ownership.

I have German friends who would consider many of the houses in the UK not only completely rubbish, but also unsafe and unfit for human occupation.

Yet over and over I hear how it's good news that prices have gone up.

Yay, now your average family has to work even longer and harder to improve the quality of their lives, with respect to their living accomodation.

How I long for the days when falling house prices will be greeted with cheers from people understanding that rampant asset price inflation is no better than rampant consumer inflation.

Come to Britain in 2006, where every day is a series of dei ex machinas.

more a sense of amusement tinged with exasperation, from where I'm sitting

more a sense of amusement tinged with exasperation, from where I'm sitting

I consistently fail to understand how they manage to waste so much money. I mean £35K to do up a small terrace. They would never get that back when selling.

The builders, plumbers etc that these programs use must be laughing all the way to the bank. :lol:

It seems to be a case of 'how much money can we screw out of you', we'll divide it up amongst ourselves then give you an average house in return & pocket the rest.

I consistently fail to understand how they manage to waste so much money. I mean £35K to do up a small terrace. They would never get that back when selling.

The irony is that in Andrew Winter's C4 programme 'Selling Houses' they manage to refit an entire property, redecorate and re-carpet throughout for about £2k. I've never understood how they manage to keep their costs down.

Unless, of course, the quoted costs from both programmes are complete bulls*it.

I caught the tail on of the program and couldn't believe that it cost £35k.

Even Sarah Beany would have been embarrassed to be associated with the project, let alone be the leader. Not sure who the presenter is but how the hell did she her own home improvement program?

In Spain you could add a couple of floors to a property, toatally renovate it and have a swimming pool built for less than they paid for a simple bathroom and kitchen refit...and way too much bright paint.

The builders, plumbers etc that these programs use must be laughing all the way to the bank. :lol:

It seems to be a case of 'how much money can we screw out of you', we'll divide it up amongst ourselves then give you an average house in return & pocket the rest.

Don't forget, builders and plumbers have their exhorbitant mortgages to pay too!!!

Edited by Jake Z