House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest X-QUORK

Rates Held

:o

Did the BBC have the preceding news article predicting the outcome this time?

Normally they say "Bank expected to keep rates on hold" etc.

Anyone see anything like this or to the contrary?

Just trying to assess the mood.

What a suprise :rolleyes:

BoE rates

What is the point of the Bank of England?

Oil is at record highs, the last BoE report showed import inflation rising - how on earth are future inflation predictions not higher?

It is the biggest government fiddle of them all.

What is the point of the Bank of England?

Oil is at record highs, the last BoE report showed import inflation rising - how on earth are future inflation predictions not higher?

It is the biggest government fiddle of them all.

I can't understand how they get away with all the figure fixing that goes on, surely the media could be having a field day if they actually bothered to look into what goes on.

Everyone is not fooled by the dodgy inflation figures, just ask anyone who has to pay the bills every month. :o

It's now way too late for the BOE MPC to get ahead of the game (using I/R increases to head off inflation and sentiment that inflation is going up). So in collectively choosing not to get ahead of the game, they've put themselves in the position of 'reactionary catch up'. This means that I/R will have to go up for higher and for longer than otherwise would have been the case. They just got the judgement call wrong. As I've posted many times before it doesn't change the outcome for inflated property prices in the UK (and other markets). It's all on track.

Pablo Silver or Lead?

As UK rates stay where they are, and other countries rates rise, shouldn't the pound start to sink? Shouldn't this deter foreign buyers of UK homes?

Why isn't the pound falling (yet)?

:o

Did the BBC have the preceding news article predicting the outcome this time?

Normally they say "Bank expected to keep rates on hold" etc.

Anyone see anything like this or to the contrary?

Just trying to assess the mood.

Yep, the BBC had it's usual expectations: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=32575

I do dislike this news, why not just report the actual result!

1 U.K. £ =

1 1.8354

As long as sterling holds at these levels there is no need to raise the rates. In Gordon's opinion, at least. High pound = low inflation.

And, of course:

The Committee no doubt took note of the Halifax's latest report today that revealed house prices fell 1.2% last month.

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/06072006/214/boe-l...rates-hold.html

Edited by Realistbear

As UK rates stay where they are, and other countries rates rise, shouldn't the pound start to sink? Shouldn't this deter foreign buyers of UK homes?

if i get £1 to the Euro then it maybe worth me looking at UK property, even better as the crash gets going.

The GB£ may gain against the USD$ but at the same time be falling against the euro, smart money is out of USD$ and GB£

When do the board retire? And with how much?

If at that point their 10mill in the bank is able to attract interest at say 9% rather than 5% is that not good for them?

1. Hold off, take the pay

2. Get out before it goes titsup with large lumpsum bonus

3. Invest in spiralling interest rates

4 $$$$

As I have said many times before - OIL. If you look back at the last couple of years the £ rises whenever the OIL prices rises strongly.

I can only deduce from that, that the markets see the UK as being better insulated against global oil prices, thanks to North Sea oil, than the US.

I think they are wrong, but hey.......

Not a big surprise, but they do seem to be sitting on their ass hoping for a miracle to save them.

After the ECB also held today the dollar barely moved. Trichet suggested that rates may have to go up so the market reacts on the rumour rather than the news. If the ECB can keep the Euro flying by talk why actually hike? This may be how Gordon is playing it--keep the pound high by acknowledging there is inflation but doing nothing about it IR-wise.

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspxcontent/NewsStor...nternational.na

CURRENCIES: Dollar Falls After Hawkish Trichet Comments

By Wanfeng Zhou

The dollar weakened across the board early Thursday
after hawkish comments
from the head of the European Central Bank fueled expectations that interest rates in the euro zone will climb more aggressively than expected.