Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bingley Bloke

Will I Have To Pay Business Rates?

Recommended Posts

Here's the deal...

I plan to set up as a sole trader running an internet-based business from the spare room of the house I live in with my girlfirend. The house belongs to my girlfriend, I own no stake in the house whatsoever.

Will I have to pay business rates, as opposed to council tax, on the proportion of the house that I operate from, ie, the spare room?

The local council's web site is very vague about it all.

This article explains that home/work properties attract council tax on the residential proportion and business rates on the business proportion, and also CGT on the work proportion if the property is sold at a profit later. It also implies that a normal residential property may attract business rates and CGT on the proportion that was used for the business.

The article then goes on to say it is unlikely that you would actually attract any business-related taxes! In any case, the house belongs to my partner, so how could CGT apply to the proportion that's used for the business when the business is mone but the house is hers?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 301 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?

      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.