House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Basil

North Yorkshire

Despite the general area being 'cautious' and the estate agents full of properties not shifting, I've still been frustrated in trying to buy character property in any of the villages north of York.

For example - 250 yr old cottage (semi) needing complete renovation.

On the market one week.

Overwhelming demand for viewing.

Brochure price £275,000

Many offers - 3 'best and final' over £300,000 with the winner (apparently) over £315,000.

[Guess who didn't get the house!]

This isn't the first house in the same situation either.

There seems to be 2 different markets running at the same time:

1 for the 'run of the mill' houses - lots of modern stuff on the market and seem to have been there for many months. There are loads of modern estate houses around the £400,000 level - nice and new, characterless and with small gardens, and they're not shifting. I'm glad at least that I'm not trying to sell one of these...

2 for the 'twee' old houses (or those with potential or good gardens) - unless you are a cash buyer / renting with finance in place then you needn't bother.

Just my general rants / observations, but typical that the market stagnation isn't working for me just when I need it! Off to plan B then - renting for a while

Despite the general area being 'cautious' and the estate agents full of properties not shifting, I've still been frustrated in trying to buy character property in any of the villages north of York.

For example - 250 yr old cottage (semi) needing complete renovation.

On the market one week.

Overwhelming demand for viewing.

Brochure price £275,000

Many offers - 3 'best and final' over £300,000 with the winner (apparently) over £315,000.

[Guess who didn't get the house!]

This isn't the first house in the same situation either.

There seems to be 2 different markets running at the same time:

1 for the 'run of the mill' houses - lots of modern stuff on the market and seem to have been there for many months. There are loads of modern estate houses around the £400,000 level - nice and new, characterless and with small gardens, and they're not shifting. I'm glad at least that I'm not trying to sell one of these...

2 for the 'twee' old houses (or those with potential or good gardens) - unless you are a cash buyer / renting with finance in place then you needn't bother.

Just my general rants / observations, but typical that the market stagnation isn't working for me just when I need it! Off to plan B then - renting for a while

Your observation is spot on; I have seen exactly the same in E Yorks and Rugby. Nice modern houses (small gardens) will not budge and many price reductions....on the other hand older stuff (even 70s and 80s) with good gardens and somewhere to park two cars side by side are being snapped up.