House Price Crash Forum

Prices Are Bs

HOLA441

Before I rant a couple of points

Now I'm angry. I've almost doubled my pay yet I still can't afford a house. Note that I didn't say a unit/townhose/flat - I want a house with a yard that can accomodate a dog, a vegetable garden and fingers crossed a family. Note I am also living in Australia so a house shouldn't be a big ask.

When I was earning the basic wage (ie the bare minimun - if they could pay less they would have) I could buy a house. Now that I earn double that I can not afford a house. WTF is with that? Am I being greedy for thinking, like my father in law did - that I can go out and work hard to provide for my family? For crying out loud - My in laws brought up 5 kids, bought a house and gave them holidays on one wage. I am told that I should lower my expectations but my expectations for a 3 bedroom house is apparently over the top. I'm not asking to be able to buy in a prestiguous area, after all I'm working class and damn proud of it, but I will not buy a ******ing unit. Nor am I going to buy a place beyond the black stump.

The market is absolutly BS and I am quite angry about it. There are people to blame and I whilst I won't go as far as wishing bad things for them I certainly don't wish them well.

- end rant

HOLA442
HOLA443

I hear you

Before I went to uni in 98 I could have bought a 2 bed semi for ~70k

Now a one-bed flat is ~90k

Now, was going to uni such a good idea :angry:

I'm staying well clear. My predicament of being priced out is far better than being indebted up to the eyeballs - always look for a positive. :)

HOLA444

My old man bought a house for $120k (aus money) 8 years ago. He was on $50k. His pay hasn't gone up that much and his house is now worth $350k yet he can't see why I can't buy one. FFS inflation is rampant. Go to the supermarket, buy some fuel or pay for some health insurance and youcan see that prices have skyrocketed. Oh that's right, plasma tellies are 1/3 of what they used to be and that means inflation is lower :rolleyes:

sorry to rant but I just scored this job and honestly thought that I could buy a home if I were prepared to be frugal - I could only if I gave up eating :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edited by GCS15

HOLA445

Ah yes, Uni seemed such a good idea didnt it? get qualified and get a better paying job and have a better standard of life.

Except now, I have a whopping great Student loan tied round my neck, my degree is useless. Worth next to nothing due to even a monkey being able to get one, and I couldnt even afford a house in the worst area of town. Iw ould have been better signing on for a bit, getting a McJob buying a dirt cheap house and living like a king on the equity for...er... 2 years!

HOLA446

What really shits me is seeing people renovate "entry" level houses only to sell them on to make a quid. Now I'm not knocking people for trying to get ahead but FFS stop pricing me out!!! ****** off you AREstealing food from my plate by making me work harder, longer to put money in your pocket.

I'd move towns but to where? This disease of HPI is everywhere!

Again- I'm sorry for ranting but until today when I got the good news, I thought that I'd one day (when I earnt a bit more) I would be able to buy a house. House or family? That is the decision that FTB's are faced with. Great ******ing society. I am feeling that I don't owe society a thing and should start leaching off it like everyone else seems to do.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Are you prouder of wife-beating or whippet-racing?

I beg your pardon. Never hit a woman in my life and WTF is a whippet?

I'm proud that I produce and contribute to society. I'm proud that I've never taken a social security payment in my life, I'm proud that everything I have I have because I earnt it. I'd rather drink beer with honest folk who can call a spade a spade than champers with blow hards any day.

Perhaps I should just go on the dole and you can sort out your kids abnormal breathing yourself? I'm sure you'd do a great job

HOLA449
HOLA4410

GCS15, changing the subject entirely, who is that girl in your avatar?

Just curious!....

HOLA4411

Are you prouder of wife-beating or whippet-racing?

He's Australian. I understand they have wife beaters there but they race Kangaroos. Or possibly Calpis. Or maybe even life threatening spiders. In Cornwall, on the other hand, working class do little else but surf and eat pasties. Hitting people and racing things takes up too much energy.

Edited by SCUMBAG

HOLA4412

Friend I work with is just finishing her PhD (12k pa tax free). She bought an overpriced house in 2004 for 140k (daddy helps with mortgage). Her boyfriend (30k pa) has just bought a 4 bed house for 160k that needs a fair bit of work on it. She also has 15-20k student debt/cc/loans.

Between them they have nearly a third of a million in debt, and 2 very overpriced houses.

Be grateful you can't afford a house right now as you'll be f****** for a long long time paying it off.

HOLA4413

The old rule of thumb, used throughout decades of relative stability, was that your loan should be around 2.5 times income. TO afford the average home at around 175k the average income should be around 70k. The problem in the UK is that the average income is not 70k hence house prices are overpriced in relation to income. About 100% overpriced? Not only has something gotta give, it is giving.

HOLA4414

My old man bought a house for $120k (aus money) 8 years ago. He was on $50k. His pay hasn't gone up that much and his house is now worth $350k yet he can't see why I can't buy one. FFS inflation is rampant. Go to the supermarket, buy some fuel or pay for some health insurance and youcan see that prices have skyrocketed. Oh that's right, plasma tellies are 1/3 of what they used to be and that means inflation is lower :rolleyes:

sorry to rant but I just scored this job and honestly thought that I could buy a home if I were prepared to be frugal - I could only if I gave up eating :angry: :angry: :angry:

My dad bought a house 28 years ago for approximately 2% of it's current value : it's now worth around £300+K. Naturally, he hasn't been paying any attention to the real world, and wondered why I couldn't buy anywhere - not even a studio flat in Zone 6 - in London, even though I earn over the national average. If I had left going to Uni and bought 15 years ago, I'd be paying around one tenth what I am now, and have only five or ten years to go. Instead I had to move out of London to near the coast, and have to commute into London. Thankfully I commute into London around once a week and work away most of the time.

I've already paid more in my first year of mortgage repayments than the price my Dad's house when he bought it. The Government will lose votes when the generation that cannot afford a property turns.

HOLA4415

Just curious!....

I'm curious too! And which site did you get it from...

My dad bought a house 28 years ago for approximately 2% of it's current value : it's now worth around £300+K.

Those figures are meaningless unless you adjust for inflation.

Naturally, he hasn't been paying any attention to the real world, and wondered why I couldn't buy anywhere - not even a studio flat in Zone 6 - in London, even though I earn over the national average.

Yes, but do you earn over the London average?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

As someone who flies back to OZ every year with the hope of one day buying a joint there I have been totaly beaten by the price rises which equal that of the UK, it is very easy to work out how this happened in Australia, Prime minister and chums are very cosy with Big buisness, In Australia there are some big house building companies, Government thought they would offer a favour to first time buyers by giving them a $7k grant and if they got a new house built then they would give them another $7k of course the first few to take up this offer got lucky, the grants paid the deposit etc, however very quickly the prices went up to accomodate this free grant, then as the interest rates also came down the boom was on, the rich got richer (politicians and their cronies) and the public joined in the party and here we are, boom town, houses 10 times whatever the local wage happens to be. We can only hope the government schemes and crafty dealings fall appart at some stage so that all the new landlord capitalists have to sell at a loss and we go out and buy at what should be the real price.

HOLA4418

Just curious!....

That's actually an animated gif image in which she shakes her tits up and down whilst shouting, I used to have a copy of it but it's gone awol :(

HOLA4419
politicians and their cronies

Politicians are very happy with the situation. Take the danish social minister. she was asked if she is worried because the gap between rich and poor has widened due to HPI and if there should be a sales tax for house sales, she says " I don't see a problem. I am very happy that interest rates have been low and that house prises have risen and foreclosures were low. "

http://www.dn.no/forsiden/article811265.ece

Stupid woman. As a social minister she should be worried about the wealth transfer from young to old, from poor to rich. I really hope for a HPC, then she will learn that everybody is poorer and only the debt remains, as it always is when a bubble bursts.

HOLA4420

In the last 6 years my pay has increased by 50%, I don't feel any better off whatsoever!

Inflation 2%? Bollo**s!! :angry:

Used to earn rubbish money in the south west...

could afford a house..

Trebbled my money over 4 years in the southeast.. only once managed to catch up with house prices.. discovered that I had been accidently blacklisted by a careless bank..

They appologised.. put it right.. too late.. house prices had moved just beyond my grasp..

eventually moved back to the south west.. took a big pay cut..

can't afford a substantial kick to the nethers and a tent from millets..

Heading to london..

wages are closer to the cost of Living.. and it smells fab in the summer..

House prices are falling

HOLA4421

Just curious!....

I'm not sure. I stole it from another forum just before it was taken away by the forum admin (meanies). I understand that she is saying "Hey boys! See these? They mean it's my job to cook dinner" :P

The First Homeowners Grant was the governments offset to their introduction of the Goods and Services Act. Of course the grant was a fixed sum and I pointed out that it would be worthless in the future only I had no idea how quickly this became true.

With any luck this will put the current prices in perspective. My fathers house cost $120k back in '92. They didn't rise at all for the next couple of years. When I started working full time in a blue collar job I was earning the basic wage of $23k and the official Average Australian wage was $30k. On this I could afford to buy my parents house but I would have struggled. Now I'm on $43k and that same house is $330k. In addition I was paying 55cents a litre back then, now it's $1.30 (and rising). Food is definately costing more but I don't have any concrete figures just that I'm buying less at the shops with more money.

Edited by GCS15

HOLA4422

You need this:--

http://www.channel4.com/4money/funnymoney/...eter/index.html

For me,

"You are in the 3.09% richest people in the UK.

There are 1,787,520 people richer than you.

There are 56,012,480 people poorer than you."

(by the way, I'm a well paid software engineer working in The City.)

Oh... also by the way... I can't afford to buy. Well, I slightly lie, I could get a 2 bed in Southend, but I dont really want to live there, great though it is. Or a 2 bed flat in Feltham. Ahem.

So what does this tell us about the affordability of housing?

oh yeah, this is interesting too...

http://www.channel4.com/4money/funnymoney/...r/who_uk_1.html

Makes you wonder where everyone's got their £250,000s for the 3 bed semi in Salford, and the ugly new Peugeot convertible thing from, eh?

HOLA4423

Before I rant a couple of points

Now I'm angry. I've almost doubled my pay yet I still can't afford a house. Note that I didn't say a unit/townhose/flat - I want a house with a yard that can accomodate a dog, a vegetable garden and fingers crossed a family. Note I am also living in Australia so a house shouldn't be a big ask.

When I was earning the basic wage (ie the bare minimun - if they could pay less they would have) I could buy a house. Now that I earn double that I can not afford a house. WTF is with that? Am I being greedy for thinking, like my father in law did - that I can go out and work hard to provide for my family? For crying out loud - My in laws brought up 5 kids, bought a house and gave them holidays on one wage. I am told that I should lower my expectations but my expectations for a 3 bedroom house is apparently over the top. I'm not asking to be able to buy in a prestiguous area, after all I'm working class and damn proud of it, but I will not buy a ******ing unit. Nor am I going to buy a place beyond the black stump.

The market is absolutly BS and I am quite angry about it. There are people to blame and I whilst I won't go as far as wishing bad things for them I certainly don't wish them well.

- end rant

My poor husbands pay has more than doubled and I am now ( after looking after the family and studying) about to start working for a living, an dwe are struggling..... just how much harder does it hav eto get before people say enough is enough?

HOLA4424

Now, was going to uni such a good idea :angry:

No. Not unless you studied to become a chartered accountant.

You should have left school at 16, scrounged and worked cash-in-hand for 2 years then become a tube/train driver or police officer (no qulifications required for either). Not only would you have saved a fortune in student loans, you would also have earned around $50,000 in the interim. Total earning deficit of around $40,000 by the time you graduate? by the time your salary cathces up to a top-rate constable or tube driver? £60,000? £80,000? £100,000? £who knows? Break even time of about 15 years or so if you can re-train as an accountant and find a decent job in the City? Otherwise....

The problem (one of them at least) with this country is that it places no value on skill, education and personal investment and development. There is no reward for sacrificing todays for tomorrows.

Edited by jonewer

HOLA4425