House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
No Angel

Viewings

The house I rent is up for sale. We've been given 2 months notice so are obliged according to our tenancy agreement to allow viewings. However, I'd like to be there for the viewings. Am I obliged to let them in at anytime... with 24hrs notice, or do I still have the right to refuse viewings if I'm not going to be in and arrange a different time? The agent is getting a bit stroppy coz I don't want them to come in tomorrow whilst I'm out.

thanks

The house I rent is up for sale. We've been given 2 months notice so are obliged according to our tenancy agreement to allow viewings. However, I'd like to be there for the viewings. Am I obliged to let them in at anytime... with 24hrs notice, or do I still have the right to refuse viewings if I'm not going to be in and arrange a different time? The agent is getting a bit stroppy coz I don't want them to come in tomorrow whilst I'm out.

thanks

Your contract should make reference to this, usually I believe it is standard to give viewings at 24 hours notice. My original contract said something along the lines of "24 hours notice...at reasonable times, including during working hours". I negotiated a change stressing that it had to be at convenient times to myself.

Hope this helps.

Despite what the tenancy agreement says the landlord has no rights of entry for viewings unless you agree. Anything that takes this right away is an unfair term and cannot be enforced. So you are within your rights to refuse entry if it's not convenient. Wanting to be present is entirely reasonable. If you are not there then there may be damage or theft that you will have to pay for and it's not nice having strangers wandering round your home without you.

If you want more reassurances read these threads:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showt...hlight=viewings

Not entirely on topic but I think important...

When I was just a few days away from moving out of my old place, I had a knock on the door. It was a lady in a suit (plus clip board) and another woman dress casually. The lady in the suit claimed to come from the letting agents. I was packing, cleaning and had no prior knowledge of the viewing so I told them (politely) that they had had a wasted journey. The suited woman began to argue, telling me I was inconveniencing her and her client (she threatened the loss of my deposit), I still refused her entry and eventually she left.

Immediately afterwards I called the letting agents (they were still open and I wanted to shout at somebody), but to my suprise, they had no viewing booked and didn't have an employee by that name or description (the police were called). The agent told me that they always allow a few days notice for viewings and always confirm in writing, this way I know it is them.

This is why viewings should be set up formally with the tennant and agent present. My old agent may have been substandard in some ways but in this instance he was on the money. He told me this was a common problem, people with fake viewings looking to rob an exiting tennant who is packing and might not notice something going missing straight away. He also said that some people would actually arrange viewings and nick things.

Back on topic, I see no reason not to let them hold viewings (good will and all). If you feel more comfortable being present, then insist that they must be when you are at home (you do not need to take time off work). When I moved out of my old place, I wrote a letter explaining that inorder to provide time to present the place for views, notice of at least 24hrs is mandatory. I permitted viewings on weekdays between 6pm and 9pm and on Saturday or Sunday between the 11am and 2pm and I asked if they could refrain from organising viewings on my moving day, the day prior to me moving and while I was cleaning (4 days in all). They were fine with this.

Do you know how many viewings the place had in the end....

NONE!

The arugument on viewings really gets my goat. We have a way to go to the end of our contract, but I won't be permitting any viewings towards the end of our tenancy.

Why?

Well there's is far too many of our posessions which could go missing, even if we were present at the time of the viewing I just wouldn't be comfortable with it. What would happen if something was stolen? I doubt very much the home insurance would cover it, and it would be me who's the one that would have to try to recover the loss, not mentioning if it was something of setimental value.

At the end of the day the landlord is running a business. They should do their homework and factor in any potential void periods, not blame the tenant who is well within their rights to refuse viewings for any losses they may incur.

The arugument on viewings really gets my goat. We have a way to go to the end of our contract, but I won't be permitting any viewings towards the end of our tenancy.

Why?

Well there's is far too many of our posessions which could go missing, even if we were present at the time of the viewing I just wouldn't be comfortable with it. What would happen if something was stolen? I doubt very much the home insurance would cover it, and it would be me who's the one that would have to try to recover the loss, not mentioning if it was something of setimental value.

At the end of the day the landlord is running a business. They should do their homework and factor in any potential void periods, not blame the tenant who is well within their rights to refuse viewings for any losses they may incur.

Remember the LL holds your deposit, you do want the majority of it back dont you and possibly a reference? If not then keep blocking the viewings.

Remember the LL holds your deposit, you do want the majority of it back dont you and possibly a reference? If not then keep blocking the viewings.

You make it sound like it's our duty to allow viewings. With no inventory, I don't think he would have a leg to stand on if it came down to going to through small claims. He would have no legitimate reason to withold any of the deposit anyway, we pay the rent on time every month and keep the place to the standard it was when we moved in. I'm not going out of my way to piss the landlord off, I'm just not comfortable with viewings and that's that.

I couldn't care less about the reference, and if it came down to it I would just say I've only just moved out of my parent's.

You make it sound like it's our duty to allow viewings. With no inventory, I don't think he would have a leg to stand on if it came down to going to through small claims. He would have no legitimate reason to withold any of the deposit anyway, we pay the rent on time every month and keep the place to the standard it was when we moved in. I'm not going out of my way to piss the landlord off, I'm just not comfortable with viewings and that's that.

I couldn't care less about the reference, and if it came down to it I would just say I've only just moved out of my parent's.

We all know this however it doesnt stop your LL from holding on to the deposit if he considers you havent helped him with viewings. It will cost you £80 quid to take the LL to court, at least 3-4 months of waiting for a hearing date and hassle of putting a case together and writing correspondance between you and the LL, all for the sake of what might only be one or two 5 - 10 minute viewings. No one likes to see people in their house, but you did sign a tennacy agreement saying you would allow this in good faith, and it can potentially save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

No, I signed a contract which let have peaceful enjoyment of our home. The clauses regarding viewings would never stand in court as they would be considered as unfair terms.

If the landlord knew he was unfairly witholding part of the deposit do you really think he would let it go as far as court? Like I said, we have no inventory so the 'stain on the carpet' argument couldn't be used.

No, I signed a contract which let have peaceful enjoyment of our home. The clauses regarding viewings would never stand in court as they would be considered as unfair terms.

If the landlord knew he was unfairly witholding part of the deposit do you really think he would let it go as far as court? Like I said, we have no inventory so the 'stain on the carpet' argument couldn't be used.

You obviously have all the answers already. What exactly do you want from us?

As Bifta has provided correct answers and additional information to the original query from No Angel about viewings, I don't see what your problem is? People who answer others questions don't *want* anything back do they???

Have a look at this website, it might help get you out of the house. http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/index.html :D