House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hedi

Is It Me Or Am I Not Alone

everywhere i go all i see are more and more houses being built. i often travel from sussex to london, and along the route are any number of new developements going up and completed. i am at a loss as to why they think not enough houses are being built. i seems to me that there are plenty.

i can only assume that they are being sold to investors. (which reinforces my my own prejudgices that property is no more than an investment veichule and therefore subject to the same markets forces as any other investment )

and im not convinced that the immegrents on $ pounds and hour are buying them up either. and besides they all live six to a room so still does not account for it.

something is up no doubt about it.

( as a besides. a friend of my brothers, a very rich man who made a fortune in the eighties and nineties and still does, has just traded down his house. to a modest 5 million pounds. form 10. beside the point. he was saying that he was very concerned by the state of the economy and believes that things are not very good. that the debt situation cannnot possibly last and gb is really srewing it up. this is interesting. this man is not a moaner or growner. he is obvoiusly a possitive guy is prepared to take risks. and he thinks that times are not going to be good. to me when someone like that starts to get bearish one really should take note.)

You only have to be a couple of miles away from Manchester and you can see the huge cranes building flats all across the city centre.

And yet there are those on here who would try to convince you the market is dead and buried.

Well, obviously not in Manchester and Sussex and not in Berkshire. I've been looking at property in the West Country recently, market still buoyant there. How can you tell? Because you look on the web sites and notice the number of properties with Sale Agreed written across the picture.

Oh, but estate agents just do that to fool people don't they?

For the population size and imigration it's not enough :)

New builds of 160K a year, imigration (offical figure) about 200K a year. Twenty years ago it was 400K a year for new builds (half of that council)

Edited by mercsl

New builds of 160K a year, immigration (offical figure) about 200K a year. Twenty years ago it was 400K a year for new builds (half of that council)

emigration is aslo a big issue - the amount of people who have money who take most of it with them but keep a bolthole here.

The people leaving in numbers are the ones in their 50s with 'cash' - they are selling up (buying a flat/small house) and then getting the hell out of Dodge, taking their money and importantly their spending power with them. In return we get fewer people working in the non black economy to sustain more benefit claimants.....

well i have misjudged the immigration situation. i had no idea that immigrants arrived at our ports with 200,000 in their pockets to buy up all the newbuilds. well that does change the equation. :huh:

well i have misjudged the immigration situation. i had no idea that immigrants arrived at our ports with 200,000 in their pockets to buy up all the newbuilds. well that does change the equation. :huh:

They might not, But some are Doctor and some even buy football clubs!

However it doesn't matter, they still need somewhere to live and so create demand for housing (whether new build or old build, whether they are renting or buying.

They might not, But some are Doctor and some even buy football clubs!

However it doesn't matter, they still need somewhere to live and so create demand for housing (whether new build or old build, whether they are renting or buying.

And they do feed the market because the people who own the houses they rent have often bought them from people who move up the 'ladder' and buy the £200K new builds.......... (getting more into debt to do so).

everywhere i go all i see are more and more houses being built. i often travel from sussex to london, and along the route are any number of new developements going up and completed. i am at a loss as to why they think not enough houses are being built. i seems to me that there are plenty.

'Houses' are not being built.

Since 1997 the percentage of new builds that are flats has gone from 17% to around 47% now.

Plenty of inner city flats are being built on the remaining spaces left, the building stops on the edge of the towns/cities as the NIMBY culture that pervades there makes sure there is not building.

So in short there is a massive supply shortage of reasonable, decent sized family housing being built. Personally I hate the new luxo flats and would never live in one and they areen't suitable for bringing up a family in.

The shortgage of houses being built has to be partly responsible for a pressure on prices.

Edited by munimula

And yet there are those on here who would try to convince you the market is dead and buried.

Well, obviously not in Manchester and Sussex and not in Berkshire. I've been looking at property in the West Country recently, market still buoyant there. How can you tell? Because you look on the web sites and notice the number of properties with Sale Agreed written across the picture.

Oh, but estate agents just do that to fool people don't they?

Had to chuckle at your comment ' not in berkshire'... house prices in west berkshire, the area to the south of Reading and wokingham aren't exactly soaring..

I could identify quite a few houses that haven't shifted in the last year (houses I looked at 1 year ago before I decided to STR)... on at the same price or less than a year ago. Not only that but several houses near me have been on the market since the beginning of the year.. still no sold signs.. and now we're entering the quiet period.. nothing shifts in July / Aug.. the EA's try to get things going in Sept / Oct but by november its a lost cause...

I haven't seen these extra immigrants on the street so they are living somewhere!

i can only assume that they are being sold to investors. (which reinforces my my own prejudgices that property is no more than an investment veichule and therefore subject to the same markets forces as any other investment )

and im not convinced that the immegrents on $ pounds and hour are buying them up either. and besides they all live six to a room so still does not account for it.

something is up no doubt about it.

( as a besides. a friend of my brothers, a very rich man who made a fortune in the eighties and nineties and still does, has just traded down his house. to a modest 5 million pounds. form 10. beside the point. he was saying that he was very concerned by the state of the economy and believes that things are not very good. that the debt situation cannnot possibly last and gb is really srewing it up. this is interesting. this man is not a moaner or growner. he is obvoiusly a possitive guy is prepared to take risks. and he thinks that times are not going to be good. to me when someone like that starts to get bearish one really should take note.)

As far as I have been able to ascertain there were 2.76 people per "home" at the start of the boom.

This has dropped to 2.6...

These figures are accurate I believe.

We are in a situation where we have more homes per head of capita then at any time in history...

Immigration that almost fills the hole left by the descimated birth rate, and so may people moving abroad to retire..

As soon as the boomers start shuffling of you are going to see the amount of people dying each year double and then trebble in only a few years.

But, the answer to this is that "More people want to live on their own..."

yup.. in the last 8 years socially peoples attitudes are changing..

and since when does far fewer people breeding make housing a good long term investment..

Notice that no one moans about overcrowded primary schools anymore?? they are closing many down..

I believe the current trend will see less then two people per property well within the lifespans of investment mortages..

I could be wrong

New builds of 160K a year, imigration (offical figure) about 200K a year. Twenty years ago it was 400K a year for new builds (half of that council)

and birth rate to immigration (official.. if it is 200 thousand..) and the population is soaring.

twenty years ago they were tearing down many council properties to..