House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CrashCrash

40,000 Fear Axe At High-tech Royal Mail

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article....mp;in_page_id=2

40,000 fear axe at high-tech Royal Mail

Tom McGhie, Mail on Sunday

2 July 2006

POSTWORKERS' leaders, locked in pay talks this weekend in an attempt to avoid strike action, fear that Royal Mail bosses will introduce new technology that could cost tens of thousands of jobs.

Skip additional links

WANT TO KNOW MORE?

* BLOG: Postal horrors

OTHER STORIES

* BAE gets Airbus stake shock

* Wembley saga goes on with fresh delays

* Market report: Monday 11.15

* 'Retire at 65' rule challenged

* The cheap train fares 'mirage'

THE EDITOR'S PICKS

* CAMPAIGN: 'Protection Racket'

* MONEY MAKER: Halifax pays 5%

* MONEY SAVER: Free mobile calls

The Communication Workers Union believes the company plans to bring in revolutionary sorting machines that would halve the workload of postmen and women, which, combined with changes in working practices, could lead to the loss of at least 40,000 jobs.

What concerns the workforce most is the introduction of 'walk sequencing' machines at smaller sorting offices. These automatically sort the mail into streets. At present, postworkers sort the mail themselves before beginning their rounds.

'This could lead to thousands of our members being turned into part-timers,' said a union spokeswoman.

Royal Mail said the machines would not be introduced until trials had been carried out in full consultation with the workforce. A spokesman said it was company policy that there would be no compulsory redundancies.

No compulsory redundancies - oh, great, more obscene payoff packages at our expense before they sell it off (and give employees shares for nothing).

Royal Mail is overstaffed as it is, far too unionised and protected by its virtual monopoly on post. It's badly run, it's got aggressive unions and its service is declining hugely. Why would you sort manually when you can get a machine that won't go sick as often doing it for less money ?

I guess a sorting machine won't expect to receive an entry into a competition for a car or a holiday for being so gracious as to get out of bed & attend work for 5 days at a time. This would not figure in the equation at all.

While I take no delight in long standing employment being affected, neither can a lumbering overstaffed leviathan continue to rumble on funded by state aid(OUR MONEY) during profit free times, British Leyland/Rover cost far too much & the BBC should surely soon be affected also.

The Royal Mail sorts around 50% of it's mail mechanically, and elsewhere in Europe, the figure is much nearer 85-90% mechanised sorting. The job losses will be relatively straightforward : bring the automatic sorting up to around about 85-90%, with the remaining 10% being poorly addressed items, or those of unusual sizes/dimensions/weights that cannot be sorted mechanically. I have no idea if 40,000 will be the target figure.

I think it unlikley there will be compulsory redundancies because the unions will go on strike, and the business is in no doubts about the catastrophic effect this will have on the business. I expect the most likely way will be to encourage voluntary redundancies, not replace leavers or retiring staff, and reassign others to different roles over the next two or so years. The business needs to trim the fat out of it whilst it has the opportunity or it will not survive.

I wonder if people who bought a property with the long-term view of it being their pension pot have considered the nations purchasing power in 20/30 years time, what with the rise of technology taking claiming people's jobs, and the imfamous off shoring of jobs. Will we be a nation of mcjob workers?

Also taking into the consideration of the lower birth rate, and a majority of the kids being born, not being economically active due to having chav type parents?

I wonder if there will be a lot of people in a **** if their property retirement pot fails to pay off?

Edited by Ritters

Also taking into the consideration of the lower birth rate, and a majority of the kids being born, not being economically active due to having chav type parents?

You might be onto something. All the people I know of having one child is not on the benefit. those who have more than one children are on some form of benefit. Do we hav enational statiscs on this ? (as if we dont have enough cr*p from ONS)

I wonder if people who bought a property with the long-term view of it being their pension pot have considered the nations purchasing power in 20/30 years time, what with the rise of technology taking claiming people's jobs, and the imfamous off shoring of jobs.

I doubt many have considered anything much beyond 'house prices always go up', myself.

You might be onto something. All the people I know of having one child is not on the benefit. those who have more than one children are on some form of benefit. Do we hav enational statiscs on this ? (as if we dont have enough cr*p from ONS)

Yes but this is the 'nanny state' that is being created.

Tax to the point of poverty, then hand back in benefits to give the impression that you could not manage without government support, don't vote for another party 'cos they will stop the benefits & where will you be then?

I believe 75% of households receive some form of benefit.

Tax to the point of poverty, then hand back in benefits to give the impression that you could not manage without government support, don't vote for another party 'cos they will stop the benefits & where will you be then?

Indeed: NuLab is old Stalinism through the back door.

Of course in a future where people don't benefit from their work, they stop working beyond the absolute minimum required to get their benefits. Then the country falls apart.

I wonder if people who bought a property with the long-term view of it being their pension pot have considered the nations purchasing power in 20/30 years time, what with the rise of technology taking claiming people's jobs, and the imfamous off shoring of jobs. Will we be a nation of mcjob workers?

I wonder if there will be a lot of people in a **** if their property retirement pot fails to pay off?

Answer to those questions: a massive HPC on a scale unrecognised in the history of economics since at least the fall of the Roman Empire. :)