House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Boom'n'Bust

Advice On Council Tax Property Revaluation

Hello,

I need some advice for a friend who's bought a property a year ago. He purchased it for approximately £130,000, but all along his council tax has been low as his last council tax valuation in 1993 was only in the region of £40,000 - £60,000.

His situation is that he has received a letter from council asking for permission to revalue his property from the outside, in order for them to calculate the help he can get with his rebate etc. But in my opinion its just so that they can raise his council tax band.

My questions are:-

1. Can he decline permission to revalue the property?

2. Will they not pay him any rebate if he declines?

3. If he's okay to decline, then what good reason can he give as to why he's declining them?

4. Has anyone else been through the same situation and if so, what did you say?

Thanks for your advice

BooM-BusT!

The council will probably still evaluate his property from the front and possibly from his neighbours back garden.

Your friend should ask his neighbours what council tax band their houses are because he may be worrying over nothing.

I live in a split level maisonette with a basement flat below. The council asked to see an extension on th back of the basement flat from my kitchen windown which I allowed her to view. Originally it was a studio flat but is now a much bigger 1 bed flat but she said the tax band would stay the same!

The council will probably still evaluate his property from the front and possibly from his neighbours back garden.

Your friend should ask his neighbours what council tax band their houses are because he may be worrying over nothing.

I live in a split level maisonette with a basement flat below. The council asked to see an extension on th back of the basement flat from my kitchen windown which I allowed her to view. Originally it was a studio flat but is now a much bigger 1 bed flat but she said the tax band would stay the same!

hi there mate,

I asked him and he said its Band B at the moment. This band values he house between £40k-£60k, which he's happy with as it keeps he c-tax down. But he's concerned that the new value maybe a lot higher as house prices have risen and if his house was valued at £130k, he'd be f**ked!!!

Any advice?

hi there mate,

I asked him and he said its Band B at the moment. This band values he house between £40k-£60k, which he's happy with as it keeps he c-tax down. But he's concerned that the new value maybe a lot higher as house prices have risen and if his house was valued at £130k, he'd be f**ked!!!

Any advice?

I think it'll be OK. The general revaluation in England has been postponed (for political reasons probably) so I assume the Council are looking at its 1991 value; it won't suddenly shift into whatever band 130K was in 1991. Unless someone else knows different?

Even if they "did try it on", or some over-zealous official gets involved, he could and should appeal, but I suspect there's not going to be a problem.

hi there mate,

Any advice?

Everyone's tax band is based on a year in the 1990's but I'm not sure if it's as early as 1991.

If it is he will have no more to worry about than the rest of us :D I think my place is valued at £60k for council tax purposes, but it's around £180k in reality.

Check out your local council website. It should be covered in the Q&A or FAQ pages.

hi there mate,

Any advice?

I'm quite sure it can only ever go up 1 band at any one time. It will probably cost him £10 PCM at the most so he needn't worry too much.

What we should do is start a campaign that council tax is based not on the value of the house but on the number of occupants.

On the basis if 4 people went ot a cafe to eat they would pay 4 tines as much as the sole occupier of the next table.

Divide the cost of the whole of council services by the total number of adult users.

That would be so much fairer, wouldn't it?

I'm surprised nobody hasn't already suggested this.

What we should do is start a campaign that council tax is based not on the value of the house but on the number of occupants.

Why? Does it magically cost four times as much for the bin-men to come around to a house with four people in it? Does it need four times as much police 'protection'? Do four single professionals sharing a house take four times as much from the 'education' budget?

The only fair system is to charge people for the services they use. No more, no less.

Why? Does it magically cost four times as much for the bin-men to come around to a house with four people in it? Does it need four times as much police 'protection'? Do four single professionals sharing a house take four times as much from the 'education' budget?

The only fair system is to charge people for the services they use. No more, no less.

A sound a reason as any for introducing the teaching of 'Modern History' into the school curriculum!

You might never appreciate this 'jibe', for 'jibe' it is!

Go on then, let's debate.

A pensioner in a £500k house uses much more of the council services than a family of mum & dad & 2 teenage children in a £150k property in the next street, so the pensioner pays twice as much.

I can't really argue that, can I? ;)