House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
karen1000

Isle Of Sheppey

An area I'm very familiar with, especially that damned bridge. They're opening a new one, and house prices are expected to catch up with the rest of Kent...

Isle of Sheppey House Prices Set To Rocket

To anyone tempted by the article, it’s total rubbish. I was looking to buy a flat in Kent and checked Sheppey extensively this year. The Island is certainly not cheap compared to Margate, Ramsgate, Dover & Folkestone, to name four. All have better communications & shopping and Margate and Ramsgate have experienced price reductions.

I have not seen a holiday home for £15000 other than s/h trailers. You can buy a chalet for £30000 in a holiday park if you like paying over the odds for services and ground rent. What about a matchbox sized s/d bungalow on a tiny plot for £69995. There are also dreadful villa’s (actually very small, 2 bed holiday flats of concrete and block work construction serviced by unmade roads) in Laysdown for £75 - £90000. What you will not get is ‘top-end homes currently valued at just £100,000’.

In my opinion, housing stock on the island is generally old and rundown. You will find some new build but few and far between because most land is agricultural so there is little available for development. I hope I’m wrong for the sake of the good people of Sheppey. However, I’m not risking my money there.