House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mercsl

Half A Million Poles Arrive Since 2004

It says they won't be returning to Poland but that doesn't mean they will be staying here. As we know when the EU was expanded th UK was the only state to allow free movement of citizens from day one, the other states exercised the option of holding off for 2-3 years.

Once that period is over I'd expect alot of the recent immigrants to move to other member states a little closer to Poland.

Poland is a relatively wealthy nation which is why so few are coming to the UK. Far more are lining up from the EU nations further east such as Slovakia and Croatia. Possible influx of several million. Watch shares in pre-fab housing as the Government may start buying up land to build labour camps.

Far more are lining up from the EU nations further east such as Slovakia and Croatia.

I think you'll find Croatia is a tad west of Poland, and Slovakia and Poland are on about the same longitude.

It says they won't be returning to Poland but that doesn't mean they will be staying here. As we know when the EU was expanded th UK was the only state to allow free movement of citizens from day one, the other states exercised the option of holding off for 2-3 years.

Once that period is over I'd expect alot of the recent immigrants to move to other member states a little closer to Poland.

IMO this wont be the case, Poles prefer UK, a primary reason being that English is the language that most young Poles can speak [they start to learn if from watching UK/US TV], plus UK is considered cool amongst the younger generation [who make up the majority of migrants]

I can't see may Poles opting to live in Germany, theres a history of shared mistrust, as for France, Italy, Spain, they would have to learn the language

Even though I like the Poles and East Europeans [i lived in Poland for a few years in mid-90's] and their culture is far more in tune with UKs than immigrants from Islamic countries - they come here because they want to live UK 'dream', and not convert UK to part of Eurabia, I stil think that unchecked imigration on this scale will lead to problems.

The next recession, with a large spike in unemployment, will see a large number of them returning to Poland.

They are here only as long as there is work.

I live in a part of London with a huge number of recent Polish immigrants. Most of them are over here without families, which they desperately miss. There are more of them than there are jobs, and we get a constant stream of notes through the door offering to do pretty much any basic job for minimum wage.

I suspect that many only stay a short while, and are replaced by the next set of hopefuls. Eventually word will get round that London's streets aren't paved with gold, that competition for decent work is fierce, and that accommodation costs a fortune.

IMO this wont be the case, Poles prefer UK, a primary reason being that English is the language that most young Poles can speak [they start to learn if from watching UK/US TV], plus UK is considered cool amongst the younger generation [who make up the majority of migrants]

I can't see may Poles opting to live in Germany, theres a history of shared mistrust, as for France, Italy, Spain, they would have to learn the language

Even though I like the Poles and East Europeans [i lived in Poland for a few years in mid-90's] and their culture is far more in tune with UKs than immigrants from Islamic countries - they come here because they want to live UK 'dream', and not convert UK to part of Eurabia, I stil think that unchecked imigration on this scale will lead to problems.

I have nothing against Poles either. The few I have met have all been gracious--my brother-in-law is one! Muslims :ph34r:

I agree that they want to live the English "Dream" but might have a rude awakening when the miracle economy pops, as it will, which may mean many that came here for cheap loans, HPI and MEW (the essential ingredients of Gordon's miracle economy)will go back to countries that will be becoming more prosperous as manufacturing moves away from high priced Britain.

"For Great Britain that may even be good news as they are intelligent and not as problematic as Muslim immigrants. But it is necessary to create some programme to stop the brain drain. Poland needs to think about this herself - or propose the idea to the EU."

I love this quote :)

In britain, if you said that you would probably be branded a racist.

There are quite a few Poles but most seem to be Latvian or Estonian.

Competition may play a bigger part in them going home or nearer home, The poles are the natural migrants of Germany, At the moment it's got high unemployment and it's very hard for poles legally or illegaly to find work in Deutchland, However their economy seems to be picking up and in the future it may be a more attractive prospect.

Ireland is about to go pop, The Irish are the natural migrants of the UK, Once the jobs dry up in Eire they'll be on the ferry to the UK in droves, This together with rising unemployment and government incentives to reduce it (GB can't afford to absorb them in the public sector) will drive the poles out of the UK.

There are quite a few Poles but most seem to be Latvian or Estonian.

Competition may play a bigger part in them going home or nearer home, The poles are the natural migrants of Germany, At the moment it's got high unemployment and it's very hard for poles legally or illegaly to find work in Deutchland, However their economy seems to be picking up and in the future it may be a more attractive prospect.

Ireland is about to go pop, The Irish are the natural migrants of the UK, Once the jobs dry up in Eire they'll be on the ferry to the UK in droves, This together with rising unemployment and government incentives to reduce it (GB can't afford to absorb them in the public sector) will drive the poles out of the UK.

I think the days of Paddy coming over here to do your dirty work for you are well over. I know lots that have gone 'home' to live in Ireland - that were born here as the children of immigrants.

1. UK is a country founded on and grown by/from immigration. Many of the bigots and racists today who complain about immigration probably would find, in their not too distant past, an immigrant connection.

2. Odd how within a few short years the Poles have gone from "Those gallant handsom hard men who fought so bravely in the retreat across France, at Dunkirk, in Norway, in the Battle of Britain, in North Africa, Italy, Normandy and France" to "Those bloody Poles who are taking all our jobs!". Funny that. Then again, I've yet to meet anyone who has had work done by the Poles, or who has employed them, who has anything but praise about their work ethic and the quality of work they produce.

4. Given the Polish worh ethic I imagine that within 10 years Poland will be an increasingly prosperous part of the EU and I doubt that many of the Poles will be staying here. I have no doubt that 10 or 20 years from now many parts of Poland will be more economically successful than many parts of the UK.

5. I suspect the only people who are complaining about them are, IMPO, the racists, the bigots and the lazy sods.

5. I suspect the only people who are complaining about them are, IMPO, the racists, the bigots and the lazy sods.

That'll be your typical brit then... :(

I've yet to meet anyone who has had work done by the Poles, or who has employed them, who has anything but praise about their work ethic and the quality of work they produce.

Immigrants work hard not because of a work ethic but because they don't want to go home. Most Polish people in the UK are probably young exactly as the British were who left the unemployment in the early 1990s to work in prosperous countries like the Netherlands.

I've worked extensively with a Polish guy in a professional role. His technical expertise was excellent but he was lazy as hell. In other words no different than an equivalent English employee.

I suspect the only people who are complaining about them are, IMPO, the racists, the bigots and the lazy sods.

Opposition to open-door immigration is not equal to racism.

Opposition to open-door immigration is not equal to racism.

Spot on, I resent that I can be called racist when I raise the point that we cannot support every single person who might wish to come to England...

This has little to do with house prices though..

Merely every boom need to be explained by the investors as to why things are more expensive that does not include the words "Speculative Boom Market" its all a bit of a yawn really..

perhaps we should stem the tide a little, I know no one of my age group who is justyfying having kids due to expense and no way to afford current house prices.

But we ship huge numbers abroad to retire, similar to the numbers coming in? no.. not really

If your own young cannot afford to have children perhaps make this possible first..

Point of this post is you bears go on about how these immigrants will all somehow flee back to their own country in an economic downturn....the article suggests otherwise.

Well said that man

so they won't be given free houses and money, health care and other privalages like many other immigrants have been given

is that because me white man !

Guest Bart of Darkness

BTW - what is that smiley? [ :ph34r: ] a perplexed person in a burka?

Good question.

I've always assumed it's some kind of Ninja.

1. UK is a country founded on and grown by/from immigration. Many of the bigots and racists today who complain about immigration probably would find, in their not too distant past, an immigrant connection.

This is a totally spurious remark and is the quote most often trotted out by those defending the disastrous mass 3rd world immigration into the UK over the last handful of decades. It was even trotted out by the black bishop of York recently, lets hope his boss is reviewing his terms of employment. It is like saying Italy or Japan are nations of immigrants... its rubbish. Italy is the nation of Italians. Do you need me to explain what an Italian is? Japan is a nation of Japanese. Again, do you know what they are? England - it means land of the Anglo Saxons.

Its just a pity the Office for National Statistics appear to be totally incapable of including all these new arrivals in their population figures. Apparently 20,000 Poles have moved to Slough in the last few years but the ONS claim the town's population is falling. As a resut the town is losing out of millions of pounds of government funding.

A massive conspiracy of silence here about why all these people who clearly exist are ignored in the 'official' statistics!

Its just a pity the Office for National Statistics appear to be totally incapable of including all these new arrivals in their population figures. Apparently 20,000 Poles have moved to Slough in the last few years but the ONS claim the town's population is falling. As a resut the town is losing out of millions of pounds of government funding.

A massive conspiracy of silence here about why all these people who clearly exist are ignored in the 'official' statistics!

From my experiances there are far less few poles in proportion to the 3rd world immigrants.

(Whatever the offical statistics are, they are rubbish, you can simply work out whats going on from ordinary day to day activities.) The levels of non-european groups seems to outweigh the european groups by a large degree.

Because of the continued growth of immigration over the past year, it now seems to be 1 in 2 people who are speaking a different language when out in public places.

Since around 70% of the population are in major cities, that puts the levels of immigrants at around 30% of the overall population - from an offical level of nearly 1 in 10 people according to the 2001 cencus/BBC/University of Bristol study - to now around 1 in 3 to 1 in 5 of all people - of course this is a simplistic exercise, but a rule of thumb measure from the real world, is not going to be too far off reality.

I guess the devaluing of citizenship to such a degree, unparelleled in history, makes it easier to introduce legislation like the population register and ID cards.

This is a totally spurious remark and is the quote most often trotted out by those defending the disastrous mass 3rd world immigration into the UK over the last handful of decades. It was even trotted out by the black bishop of York recently, lets hope his boss is reviewing his terms of employment. It is like saying Italy or Japan are nations of immigrants... its rubbish. Italy is the nation of Italians. Do you need me to explain what an Italian is? Japan is a nation of Japanese. Again, do you know what they are? England - it means land of the Anglo Saxons.

Which is a load of rubbish because both Japan and Italy have diverse minorities living there. They all look the same don't they?

:rolleyes:

So is the disastrous immigration the same that has provided man power for the NHS? The same that has provided many sportsmen (oh, yes lets remembers how much worse the UK sportsmen would be without people from immigrant back grounds), or even the ridiculous British diet of fried lard and cholesterol?

Your statement reeks of someone who has failed to compete and been left behind. Frankly, you should have tried harder at school shouldn't you? Then again being a native Brit you probably knew you could **** up your life and the government would pick up the tab for you.

:blink:

:lol:

Which is a load of rubbish because both Japan and Italy have diverse minorities living there. They all look the same don't they?

:rolleyes:

So is the disastrous immigration the same that has provided man power for the NHS? The same that has provided many sportsmen (oh, yes lets remembers how much worse the UK sportsmen would be without people from immigrant back grounds), or even the ridiculous British diet of fried lard and cholesterol?

Your statement reeks of someone who has failed to compete and been left behind. Frankly, you should have tried harder at school shouldn't you? Then again being a native Brit you probably knew you could **** up your life and the government would pick up the tab for you.

:blink:

:lol:

This is quite a weird statement and I don't quite know where to start. Japan has always been strongly anti-immigration and you won't really find diverse minorities there. Italy has nearly always been a net exporter of people and minorities there are not really there by the will of the government. In fact Italy is probably one of the hardest countries in the world to assimilate into. I know Argentinians who have four Italian grandparents, but even they are not accepted socially in Italy, they are not allowed into the Italians' little social circle.

As far as sport goes, footballers in any part of the world tend to come from relatively poor backgrounds, hence the large proportion of Afro-Caribbean descent players. There is nothing in their race that makes them any better, as you imply, it's to do with class and upbringing. I don't see the German or Italian teams doing too badly this year. Rugby on the other hand being a posh sport, most players are English descent, look at the world cup winning squad.

NHS man power? What about all these stories about nurses leaving college and having no jobs to go to?

There's no lack of manpower in nursing, or plumbing, or most things. It's all about paying lower wages.

I'm not against immigration obviously, for reasons that should be obvious, the movement of a certain number of people is natural. But it has to be controlled and the current level is out of control. This is a small country, this is not Argentina where you could fit the population of the UK five times over. And how does it help the UK to import a lot of poor uneducated people?

And there has to be a proper effort to assimilate people and make them accept British culture. Perhaps if you watched the world cup you saw the Argentinian fans, some of the most crazy and passionate about their country. But nearly all of those guys' grandparents were immigrants who were told - either you learn to be like us, or you go home. And it worked. But in this country there are even third generation people who don't consider themselves British and hate British culture.

Numpty. The reason people are complaining on this site is because they are seen as being partly responsible for sustaining our crazy HPI, and if you add 500,000 people in two years to a country where building is slow due to planning constraints then there is almost certainly truth in that opinion. There is a big difference between hating somone because of their race and being annoyed at a huge influx of people which no one in this country has voted for.