House Price Crash Forum

The Business: Scramble For 4g Licences Will Raise Billions For Brown.

HOLA441

'Scramble for 4G licences will raise billions for Brown':

http://www.thebusinessonline.co.uk/Stories...44-2320C642A1C6

Licences for the next generation of superfast mobile internet connections are to be put up for auction next year -- raising billions for Gordon Brown, the UK Chancellor.

The Business has learned that plans are being drawn up by Ofcom, the telecoms regulator, to auction licences for 4G, the name of the new networks that will be 60 times more powerful than the present 3G system.

The industry had been hoping the government would choose a different system of allocating licences, rather than another round of auctions. The ruinously expensive cost of obtaining the present 3G licences has crippled the mobile phone industry for years.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Agreed. 3G was a huge failure and the companies who invested in it, IMPO, wasted too long arguing over technology standards all wanting to be the Microsoft 'dominant' of 3G to such a point that 3G has become outdated before it even worked properly. Newer much cheaper technologies are about to replace 3G and the companies who paid Brown billions for 3G licences look like mugs now.

No doubt these 'clever' CEOs and Chief Tech officers will fall for it again though.

HOLA444
HOLA445

the auction for 3G nearly broke the major players. It held technology back years and inflted prices for consumers.

And we're going to do it again?

:rolleyes:

A phone is a phone, you speak on it.

You down buy your groceries, bid on ebay, download movies on it.

It's just not fooking practical...on screen size alone!

HOLA446

Agreed. My phone is 8 years old, works perfectly whenever I have anything useful to say on it (very rare). Costs nothing, pay-as-I-decide-to-go, spent less than £50 in the last 8 years. Yet I have unrestricted access to a multi-billion pound communications network. Let them spend as much as they want to improve the system and its coverage. Modern phones are like modern expensive cars with 20" wheels. Over-done and over-wheeled. Lost the plot. Technology for technologies sake. If I want to watch a TV programme I watch it on a nice big screen CRT :D . If I miss it then I'll see it when it repeats, or not - whatever.

HOLA447

It's just not fooking practical...on screen size alone! [Gel]

From the article....

The success of 4G is likely to prove more crucial to mobile operators' future revenue generation than 3G because it offers them a chance to challenge fixed-line telecoms companies like BT for control of the lucrative home and office broadband markets.

Operators such as T-Mobile believe the next generation of broadband phone networks will offer faster broadband speeds than are attainable over BT's copper-wire network. By the end of the decade it is estimated the 4G networks will be able to support speeds of 20Mb, 20 times faster than standard fixed broadband and more than double the speed of BT's Total Broadband service, announced last week.

Appliances such as TVs and PCs could connect to the mobile operators' 4G networks without a cable going into the home.

HOLA448

Agree, I can't stand the phones ATM - compromised rubbish IMO - and they look like cartoons when you switch them on

I've refurbed my old Nokia 8910 for the past 3 years and I'm getting, effectively, free contracts with a free phone (which I sell on eBay) every 18 months