House Price Crash Forum

Emergency Rate Cut Needed!

HOLA441
HOLA442

Oh no!

We've been knocked out.

Surely to avert a potentially destabilising gloom overshadowing the high street a rate cut or five are needed and needed now!

:lol:

no, since the football is season is over or England, people will go in thousands to buy stuff

HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest Alright Jack

I wonder if retailers will get those large tellies coming back in droves once the reality of £1500 @ 29% on minimum wage bites.

HOLA445

I wonder if retailers will get those large tellies coming back in droves once the reality of £1500 @ 29% on minimum wage bites.

Oh I don't know. There's a much more interesting game to play whilst watching the footie anyhow. It's called spot the hypocrite. . Here's how you do it.

1 ) keep a note of all the players who cross themselves (genuflect without the knee bend / bow) whilst on the pitch.

2 ) note how many of those in 1 ) also dive / fake injury / claim throw-ins not theirs / professionally foul / foul off the ball. Express this as a ratio.

3 ) calculate the same ratio for those not making religious signs.

It really is most amusing and quite informative! :lol:

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA446

Can I suggest that tennis is a far more interesting game than football. If you have never been to Wimbledon, you are missing out. It is a quintessentially English experience in the best possible sense.

The best time to go is on the first week - you only need a groundpass which costs about £10 and you get to see the matches on the outside courts and court 2. Usually the best matches are outside in week 1 as the show courts often have a seeded player thrashing a nervous no-hoper. You buy some very expensive strawberries and cream but you don't care because you are having such a good time. In the late afternoon, you can queue for seats on the showcourts as people who have to leave early hand in their tickets to be resold for charity (costs about a fiver). A retired Admiral in a blazer and panama hat shows you to your seat on Centre court which is every bit as special as they say.

Not sure what matches will be on the outside courts tomorrow (check first) but if you have the day off and are in shooting distance of London, do yourself a big favour and go.

Football - who needs it.

HOLA447
Guest Alright Jack

Can I suggest that tennis is a far more interesting game than football. If you have never been to Wimbledon, you are missing out. It is a quintessentially English experience in the best possible sense.

The best time to go is on the first week - you only need a groundpass which costs about £10 and you get to see the matches on the outside courts and court 2. Usually the best matches are outside in week 1 as the show courts often have a seeded player thrashing a nervous no-hoper. You buy some very expensive strawberries and cream but you don't care because you are having such a good time. In the late afternoon, you can queue for seats on the showcourts as people who have to leave early hand in their tickets to be resold for charity (costs about a fiver). A retired Admiral in a blazer and panama hat shows you to your seat on Centre court which is every bit as special as they say.

Not sure what matches will be on the outside courts tomorrow (check first) but if you have the day off and are in shooting distance of London, do yourself a big favour and go.

Football - who needs it.

You have to be taking the f@k!ing p!ss ?

HOLA448
HOLA449

You have to be taking the f@k!ing p!ss ?

Tennis is rather cleverly managed so you can't cheat very easily. It seems to be beyond the football authorities to manage the same trick.

I can't see the point in winning a game in the world cup knowing you cheated to get a player (Rooney) sent off and shown the world how clever you are by winking at your colleagues on the side lines.

Christiano Ronaldo (and many others) are CHEATS. If Portugal go on to win the world cup their victory will be hollow and they know it. God knows England weren't up to much, so it does not say much about Portugal if they have to cheat to beat them.

Finally, why would you watch a game where our players fold like Jessies? Lampard's and Gerrards' penalties were taken like girls.

Sven is sorry apparently, sorry he only got paid £25 million to manage that bunch of jessies.

HOLA4410

I recall reading an article by Gary Lineker about 2 years ago and he traced the the football 'bubble' in England back to Italia '90 (Gazza's tears, losing on penalties again). I took it that he meant the huge amount of money than the game generates, the frenzied excitement when England are in a tournament with the car flags, LCD tellys and the almost fascistic zeal in which everyone rushes home - you get the picture. Not forgetting the metioric rise of WAGs.

Personally, I think in 16 years the whole thing has come full circle. The nation's love affair with football will get back onto an even keel, this was the highpoint for WAGs like Posh, Cheryl and Coleen.

Don't get me wrong, football will always remain our national game but I sense a lot of people are just fed up with a diet of football, celeb 'culture', trashy gossip mags and the player's exorbitant salaries.

P.S. Also after we got knocked out of Italia '90, didn't the economy take a nosedive and high st. spending collapse :lol::lol: ?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest grumpy-old-man

half price sales of st georges car flags comig soon at a garage near you.... :lol:

they were giving them away free at asda....I kid you not.