House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

H P C Candidate To Be Fielded In Next Election

This will GRAB the attention of the media like nothing else. The constituency needs to compromise a large number of under 35 renters that broadly represent the HPC.co website.

The candidate will need to be 35-ish, a victim of HPI, educated with a public speaking gift, an economist, and above all have a driving passion to see an end to HPI and the evils it has spawned.

This is one hell of a brilliant idea folks.

Passionate HPCers can all volunteer for canvassing duties and a whip-round will take care of the parliamentary deposit. Publicity agent can book interviews to put the point of view accross. Most news programs would be up for it because it adds an interesting and newsworthy perspective to same old Krusty and Phil convert and profit shows. The Telegraph would love it.

Edited by Realistbear

Great idea RB but will it be necessary ?

The next general election is 3 years away. Prices will have collapsed and the housing market will be on it's knees by then. B)

Perhaps a by-election?

The chances of any by election constituency being demographically/socioeconomically the way you want it is unlikely. i think its better using people in areas high in proffessionals who rent to pressurise their local MP

Guest Alright Jack

Great idea RB but will it be necessary ?

The next general election is 3 years away. Prices will have collapsed and the housing market will be on it's knees by then. B)

Yeah that's right. On its knees...Ready now... Anytime now... Get ready for it... Er, that's not supposed to happen... Be patient!...

>>>>(2010)>>>> Yeah, I know a KFC variety meal costs £25 a go, but, house prices will still fall 80%...

All for using the political process to raise awareness of the house price issue.

However a candidate under the HPC banner would get _slaughtered_...

It's simply not a concept the media or mainstream opinion can accept as either desirable or probable.

That's why we started Priced Out. The concept that high prices are hurting people is much easier to sell to the media and the public since most people can relate to it.

FTB's in particular need a representative group to apply some counter balancing pressure against those of the CPRE brigade and property industry which have resulted in the government policy being dominated by rising prices are good thing school of thought.

All for using the political process to raise awareness of the house price issue.

However a candidate under the HPC banner would get _slaughtered_...

It's simply not a concept the media or mainstream opinion can accept as either desirable or probable.

That's why we started Priced Out. The concept that high prices are hurting people is much easier to sell to the media and the public since most people can relate to it.

FTB's in particular need a representative group to apply some counter balancing pressure against those of the CPRE brigade and property industry which have resulted in the government policy being dominated by rising prices are good thing school of thought.

No hope of winning but the publicity....................... :) The Monster Looney party never won but got plenty of coverage--people like eccentric off-beat candidates. And who knows, a honest plain speaking anti-Brown HPI-MEW candidate might even give em all a run for their money. I can see the TV interviews now. Even the headlines because it strikes a common chord and reflects what most people are thinking even if they don't admit it or don't want to believe it.

What would the platform be?

Saying lower house prices is all very well but what would you actually stand for?

Higher interest rates?

Renters rights?

More building on green field sites?

It's not a bad idea, but you really should have an idea of what's going to catch attention.

I think my point is you'd be better standing on a;

Prices are too high and it's costing you money platform (i.e. the Priced Out approach)

than a

Prices are going to crash platform

The latter is too easily dismissed in the common mindset.

Bingo. You've got my vote. I suggest that we do some warm up speeches at Speaker's Corner, to judge common responses and so forth.

The constituency needs to compromise a large number of under 35 renters that broadly represent the HPC.co website. [RB]

How exactly? By publishing pictures of them sunbathing naked in their rented gardens?