House Price Crash Forum
Guest The_Oldie

Pessimists At Housepricecrash.co.uk

Guest The_Oldie

This is a perfect example of how the HPC site is problematic in the media.

To get the message out there that high prices are not a good thing you need a different approach...

Actually, they seem a bit confused. Firstly they talk about "doomsters", then they end with this....

Only when we dump our property fetish and decide that long-term renting makes more sense (which right now it does) will the support for the market be kicked away.

Actually, they seem a bit confused. Firstly they talk about "doomsters", then they end with this....

Yes that was a bit odd.

So the media label HPC as doomsters pre-crash what will it be post crash:

1. Insightful

2. Agitators

3. It's all your fault!!!

When this market comes crashing down expect sites like HPC to get the blame.

And it will be people like Kirstie Allsop leading the moral charge...

When this market comes crashing down expect sites like HPC to get the blame.

And it will be people like Kirstie Allsop leading the moral charge...

It's the price of being a contrarian. The mob always love to hate the individual; they can't stand the idea of independent thought. It's a challenge to the fabric that holds them together: spin, lies and their own hysteria.

Edited by Foobar

The great thing about the net, is those articles will be easily available to read when the crash comes.

It's the price of being a contrarian. The mob always love to hate the individual; they can't stand the idea of independent thought. It's a challenge to the fabric that holds them together: spin, lies and their own hysteria.

I'm with you on your general observation about the mob v the individual. I've always hated the mob.

Yet I think the article is reasonable. It's essentially saying that a HPC is not inevitable. It's this view that makes most people here bristle and kick back. Most of us agree that the current state of affairs is unhealthy in various ways. Most of us agree that life for a keen young FTB earning an average income can't be much fun at the moment.

But some of us are a little cynical perhaps. As the article states, as a nation we have a property fetish. The best way for non-owners to deal with this would be to withdraw from the furnace, not jump into it. Trouble is, for every 9 to step away, there would be at least 1 who would step forward, and this is probably all it needs to keep the enthusiasm for property burning.

There may well be some gloaters around but for most property owners, it's a non-topic. We are caricatured as people who stand around in the office, boasting about property values but that's largely nonsense, at least where I am. Thinking back over the past few years, I can probably remember every single conversation I've had on the subject. In that time I can think of one person who often went on about how much she'd 'made' but believe me, there are no others that I can think of. Remember that people are part of extended families. Just because they may have made a paper profit on their house, they are not unlikely to have sons and daughters who are struggling with student debt, or trying to find a property.

Property owners don't live in a vacuum.

Only when we dump our property fetish and decide that long-term renting makes more sense (which right now it does) will the support for the market be kicked away.

How exactly, will support be 'kicked away' if demand for rented soars?

The only thing that will ****** the current market is an overall credit tightening policy(unlikely) or higher interest rates(certainty).

I'm with you on your general observation about the mob v the individual. I've always hated the mob.

Yet I think the article is reasonable. It's essentially saying that a HPC is not inevitable. It's this view that makes most people here bristle and kick back. Most of us agree that the current state of affairs is unhealthy in various ways. Most of us agree that life for a keen young FTB earning an average income can't be much fun at the moment.

But some of us are a little cynical perhaps. As the article states, as a nation we have a property fetish. The best way for non-owners to deal with this would be to withdraw from the furnace, not jump into it. Trouble is, for every 9 to step away, there would be at least 1 who would step forward, and this is probably all it needs to keep the enthusiasm for property burning.

There may well be some gloaters around but for most property owners, it's a non-topic. We are caricatured as people who stand around in the office, boasting about property values but that's largely nonsense, at least where I am. Thinking back over the past few years, I can probably remember every single conversation I've had on the subject. In that time I can think of one person who often went on about how much she'd 'made' but believe me, there are no others that I can think of. Remember that people are part of extended families. Just because they may have made a paper profit on their house, they are not unlikely to have sons and daughters who are struggling with student debt, or trying to find a property.

Property owners don't live in a vacuum.

Thanks for taking the time to compose a coherent, considered response. :)

I wasn't suggesting that the article was mob mentality, but concurring with the idea of HPC as scape goat in the event of a crash.

for most property owners, it's a non-topic.

I don't think this will be the case when house prices are going in the other direction. Inevitably the media will look here; they already are. We'll just nicely take the spotlight off of loose banking practices and government policies that have led to this situation.

For an FTB to be called a pessimist for subscribing to this site is an insult. What is good about this situation for us? What? So I should be "optimistic" and somehow buy a London flat 6 times my salary that I can't afford and hope that prices will inflate away my debt? That's not optimistic, it's delusional.

I don't really want to go £250K long on the housing market at the moment even if I could. :)

Hoping for a crash is actually optimistic, it will help to regain some balance and health in the market. If this situation were to persist I would say it is then truly the start of the global levelling effect (there has been alot of foreign investment) where from now on and for the next generations life is going to be so much tougher. Please tell me how that is optimistic?

I think essentially we agree.

Yet I think the article is reasonable.

A good article. Did not strike me as someone who is suggesting the current state of affairs is particularly pleasant in it's impact on society. Also expresses an opinion, which you might or might not agree with, but is at least plausible.

I think it's all like blowing spit through straws. When I was at school, for a few weeks, everyone blew spit through little straws. Then they did not anymore. They threw small ice lollies at each other. Then it was elastic bands.

Each had no reason to come or go but they did. Probably something to do with chaos, complexity or catastrophe theory I expect. Ask a mathematician.

I think the current craze about houses is just the next to come along. It's the same people I was at school with and I see no particular reason for them to have changed in any fundamental way.

It will go the same way as all the rest for every reason and none. It's just a bugger it means I have no where to keep my motorbike.

But when so many people want the market to crash, it won't - because there are simply too many buyers willing to jump in just as soon as prices fall.

An interesting point.

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/patric..._collinson.html

"Trouble is, the site was born on October 26 2003, nearly three years ago. Britain's property bubble - if that is what it is - has disappointingly failed to do what it is supposed to do and burst in the style of the early 1990s"

So the second HPC.co.uk was created prices were supposed to crash?

Another load of tosh, HPC.co.uk allows debate on the current state of the market and allows the viewer to make thier own decision of how the market will progress, whether it be an increase or decrease in the price of homes.

HPC.co.uk's an amatuer run, amatuer funded website.

Usually the amatuer media is almost entirely ignored by the mainstream press as if it doesn't exist. Only if the media form in question is owned by a press barron or mogul does it warrant comment and coverage. With the advent of website and blogs, some non-mainstream media is getting massively more readership than, say, the Spectator or the New Statesmen but rent-a-commentators from magazines like these often pop up as talking heads on radio and television.

The fact that the media gatekeepers feel the need to attack HPC.co.uk speaks volumes about how hte balance of media power has, to a very small extent, shifted away from the traditional media.

You may not like every view expressed on HPC.co.uk (I find it has a right-wing bias) but compare the utterly breadth of viewpoints, information, sources, etc. to any daily newpaper and the old school media is found sorely lacking. The same can be said of many other no-VI poltical, economic and other forums on the net.

Sod off Guardian - go back to skin deep, limp wristed condemnations of bad things happening world trouble spots, inane articles about organic yummy mummys written by posh girls with made-up-sounding triple-barrelled names, glossy property spreads, and other assorted bits of attention-diverting blather.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned