Goodbye N H S -- Sell Off Revelaed By Observer

http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1809525,00.html

£64bn NHS privatisation plan revealed

Adverts gaffe exposes move to hand over management role to companies

John Carvel, social affairs editor

Friday June 30, 2006

The Guardian

A secret plan
to privatise an entire tier of the NHS in England was revealed prematurely yesterday when the Department of Health asked multinational firms to manage services worth up to £64bn.
....../
Under the present system, this commissioning work is handled by local NHS managers employed by primary care trusts. Under the new system, the PCTs would contract out the commissioning to big healthcare management consortiums with greater purchasing muscle.
Contenders for the contracts are likely to include big US companies such as United Health and Kaiser Permanente. They may be joined by British insurers such as Bupa and PPP and their EU rivals.
The advertisement, in the Official Journal of the European Union, said the NHS was making a "step change from a service provider to a commissioning-led organisation". The PCTs would be able to contract out procurement, financial management and human resources. Initially there would be a four-year framework agreement covering the whole of England, but the value would depend on how many PCTs agreed to the scheme. It was not clear last night how much pressure there would be on them to do so.
Karen Jennings, head of health at the public service union Unison, said: "This is such a fundamental breach of trust that we are asking the TUC to get together a meeting of all health unions to thrash out a strategy. It is a contract to privatise the whole of primary care across the UK.

Gordon's cunning plan to unload the expensive NHS onto the private sector who will use US Healthcare companies to turn a profit. And who is going to pay? YOU are suckers! NuLabour strikes again.

IN the US, healthcare insurance for a middle aged couple runs around $800 or 450 pounds a month. And it has been rising by 10-20% p.a. for several years. Something Gordon will have to make sure is NOT included in his CPI basket.

How long must we suffer these fools? :angry:

Jesus:

Get ready for some serious snouts in the trough on this one.

I can already see the headlines on the BBC, circa 2012:

Defence contractor Northrop Grumman, who currently own 43% of NHS assets, have announced record profits in its UK health arm today of 12 billion pounds. This record breaking news comes just days after the announcement that the organisation has successfully managed to run a hospital in Surrey for a year without actually treating a single patient.

A spokesperson for Surrey Health Inc said earlier today:

"Being able shift the burden of healthcare onto GP's surgeries and local health centres, while at the same time removing Accident and Emergency facilities has allowed us to turn every last penny of tax payers money into profit, hence maximising shareholder value. This is just the start of a whole series of similar developments we have planned. In the very near future we are hoping to open our very first hospital in Manchester that doesn't have any clinical staff at all.”

In other news, the pressure group “We Bought to Let” or “WE BET” as they have become known in economists circles, occupied the Channel 4 studio set of a property programme that is no longer in production, in protest at the losses they have made due to falling house prices.

A spokesperson for the group said:

“Its just not fair, property prices always go up. I mean that’s the saying init? Safe as houses?”

Here’s Tom with the weather…..

Edited by Mrliberty

Gordon's cunning plan to unload the expensive NHS onto the private sector who will use US Healthcare companies to turn a profit. And who is going to pay? YOU are suckers! NuLabour strikes again.

IN the US, healthcare insurance for a middle aged couple runs around $800 or 450 pounds a month. And it has been rising by 10-20% p.a. for several years. Something Gordon will have to make sure is NOT included in his CPI basket.

Brown must be fuming.

The rumour was that NHS privatisation was going to be his 'BoE independence' gesture for his 1st day in power as PM [dream on!]

The rumour was that NHS privatisation was going to be his 'BoE independence' gesture for his 1st day in power as PM [dream on!]

I thought free healthcare for all was one of Labour's big shouting points.

Either way, this goverment is collapsing. I cannot believe how incompetent they have become.

The NHS is already being privatised. From 2008 15% of all operations will be done in the private sector. Private companies, usually using NHS funded infrastructure, are running most of the services in your local hospital.

Tony Blairs former health advisor is now the chairman of a major US healthcare company that stands to make a HUGE amount of money from the privatisation of the NHS. No connection of course.

Guest Alright Jack

http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1809525,00.html

£64bn NHS privatisation plan revealed

Adverts gaffe exposes move to hand over management role to companies

John Carvel, social affairs editor

Friday June 30, 2006

The Guardian

A secret plan
to privatise an entire tier of the NHS in England was revealed prematurely yesterday when the Department of Health asked multinational firms to manage services worth up to £64bn.
....../
Under the present system, this commissioning work is handled by local NHS managers employed by primary care trusts. Under the new system, the PCTs would contract out the commissioning to big healthcare management consortiums with greater purchasing muscle.
Contenders for the contracts are likely to include big US companies such as United Health and Kaiser Permanente. They may be joined by British insurers such as Bupa and PPP and their EU rivals.
The advertisement, in the Official Journal of the European Union, said the NHS was making a "step change from a service provider to a commissioning-led organisation". The PCTs would be able to contract out procurement, financial management and human resources. Initially there would be a four-year framework agreement covering the whole of England, but the value would depend on how many PCTs agreed to the scheme. It was not clear last night how much pressure there would be on them to do so.
Karen Jennings, head of health at the public service union Unison, said: "This is such a fundamental breach of trust that we are asking the TUC to get together a meeting of all health unions to thrash out a strategy. It is a contract to privatise the whole of primary care across the UK.

Not if you don't hold paper. RB don't you get it yet?

Depends how they do it. The management is one of the worst things about the NHS, I'm gonna shed no tears if that particular aspect of beloved health system goes.

About time the NHS was privatized to be honest.

Nice idea when it was started but for the 21st century???? Every timewaster having his bunions sorted and every kid with a bad cold bothering the doctor!!!!

If you afford to pay then you should - if not then the state pays. That would empty the waiting rooms and clear the waiting lists double time.

Times change and people have more money. If they can afford holidays, 2nd houses and cars, Ipods, etc then they should bloody well be able to pay for health care when the need it.

HTH

About time the NHS was privatized to be honest.

Nice idea when it was started but for the 21st century???? Every timewaster having his bunions sorted and every kid with a bad cold bothering the doctor!!!!

If you afford to pay then you should - if not then the state pays. That would empty the waiting rooms and clear the waiting lists double time.

Times change and people have more money. If they can afford holidays, 2nd houses and cars, Ipods, etc then they should bloody well be able to pay for health care when the need it.

HTH

Interestingly, the US--once the champions of private healthcare--are reversing the trend with Massachusetts introducing "national health" for the state. Health care in the US is hyperexpensive due to the free for all in drug sales, Dr. Salaries (they earn almost as much as a UK GP, said to be on more than 100k accordsing to recent reports), and the need to overcharge for everything to cover the no-pays and immigrants who cross the border to have babies and other emergency surgery (the US has Good Samaritan laws).

I think a NHS is the way to go but to make sure it is run efficiently. Mandatory 10%:90% admin:healthcare worker ratios for example. Public thrashings for those who do not comply!

Me and my lovely lady have been reading rumours that this is on the cards.

Lets face it the NHS is crap, but free. So if I need A&E I go along, I done pay +£300 a month so I can go along if I need to.

My NI last month was £233 - none of that is likely to go to my pension, if I ever get to retire before I reach 70. They can't stop my NI as it is needed to pay for ALL those that couldn't be bothered to get a pension at my age 30-50 years ago.

So they privertise the NHS, will I still pay NI at the same rate I am now - of course I will - Stealth tax in action.

Sorry but - If this happens once I am married - Sept 2007 we are off, out of this F%CKED UP place.

Labour have proper broken this country and I for one am willing to spend what I have saved for a deposit to escape this place.

By the way, how do we go about writing to th health minister?

Sorry for any bad spelling too annoyed to bother putting it through word first.

JJ

P.S. 2x J as Johnney Johnson - someone asked last time.