House Price Crash Forum

Brothers And Sisters Rejoice

This HPC thing is getting more and more like a religious fundamentalist movement.

Firstly you have an abundance of 'Blind Faith' - no matter what evidence you have to the contrary, you have adopted a viewpoint and you then selectively choose bits of information from the masses of data surrounding you to reinforce the view you have selected. (Interestingly you accuse the 'non'believers' of doing this as well.)

Secondly, you have regular meetings in church where you listen to sermons from the high priests. This forum is your church. Clicking the Google ads is the same as putting money in the plate (catholic thing).

Thirdly, you have decided (like the early Christian martyrs) to adopt a posture of Passive Resistance. Faced with persecution and adversity, you take the view that you will get your reward in the next world. The 'next world' in your case being the post HPC universe.

Whilst waiting for the next world you read from the Bible (the threads on this forum) and discuss the scriptures. And, whenever an awkward fact presents itself, you find an interpretation for it that doesn't knock down the house of cards so carefully constructed.

Brothers and sisters listen to me! I tell you 117,000 new mortgage approvals in May is no reason to be cast down into the pits of despair. On the contrary, it is certain proof that the current ways cannot go on much longer. It is sure evidence of the death throes of a system that cannot sustain itself. Take heart and listen to me - we shall overcome. We shall overcome - one day. Deep in my heart, Lord, I do believe, we shall overcome one day.

Allelujah!

Edited by Marina

This HPC thing is getting more and more like a religious fundamentalist movement.

Firstly you have an abundance of 'Blind Faith' - no matter what evidence you have to the contrary, you have adopted a viewpoint and you then selectively choose bits of information from the masses of data surrounding you to reinforce the view you have selected.

...as opposed to the blind faith that house prices go up for ever and ever and ever...

Firstly you have an abundance of 'Blind Faith' - no matter what evidence you have to the contrary, you have adopted a viewpoint and you then selectively choose bits of information from the masses of data surrounding you to reinforce the view you have selected. (Interestingly you accuse the 'non'believers' of doing this as well.)

Secondly, you have regular meetings in church where you listen to sermons from the high priests. This forum is your church. Clicking the Google ads is the same as putting money in the plate (catholic thing).

Thirdly, you have decided (like the early Christian martyrs) to adopt a posture of Passive Resistance. Faced with persecution and adversity, you take the view that you will get your reward in the next world. The 'next world' in your case being the post HPC universe.

Whilst waiting for the next world you read from the Bible (the threads on this forum) and discuss the scriptures. And, whenever an awkward fact presents itself, you find an interpretation for it that doesn't knock down the house of cards so carefully constructed.

Brothers and sisters listen to me! I tell you 117,000 new mortgage approvals in May is no reason to be cast down into the pits of despair. On the contrary, it is certain proof that the current ways cannot go on much longer. It is sure evidence of the death throes of a system that cannot sustain itself. Take heart and listen to me - we shall overcome. We shall overcome - one day. Deep in my heart, Lord, I do believe, we shall overcome one day.

Allelujah!

Or, from a Bear's point of view:

The HPI bulls continue to place their faith in Miracles wrought by Saint Gordon who has delivered unto them a covenant that shall never be broken: There shall never be a boom and bust again on the earth and as a sign of this covenant between me and my people I shall establish a sign in the form of no more IR hikes.
Secondly, the Bulls regularly attend church at the VIs offices to receive blessings in the form of more money to give to the HPI god and his prophet Gordon who redeems tithes in the form of inheritance taxes, stamp duty, CGT.
Thirdly, like the blind faith of many a misguided martyr down through the ages the bulls remain faithful to the HPI god and his false prophet by continuing to spread the word that the Paradigm of the HPI god has come and there shall be no more losses or negative equity in the land but rather a new age of permanent HPI, low IR, renters with ever increasing incomes to sustain the Priestly class of BTLes who have been faithfull to the creeds of HPI.
The minor prophets, Rightmove, Haliwide, Hometrack are revered for their prognostications that never speak against the holy cause of HPI. The EAs, or temple priests, will speak no evil of the reverred ones and shall speak in new tongues where up means down, new price shall mean price reduced and no upward chain shall be used instead of bailing out while I can. They shall recieve a tithe of all that is done in the name of HPI and many shall grow fat on the enslavement of many to the essense of the HPI god--debt.
There is no need to wait for the next world because heaven is already here as the prophet works his miracles and HPI continues for evermore. Amen.

It goes to show that you can make a religion out of just about anything.

very good.

and look how successful the Christian church was. :)

Was it? Is it? Seem to recall the Romans fed a good few to the lions.

And, ultimately, we live in a pretty irreligious, self-centred, sinful (I guess) society - so I wouldn't say it has been successful.

...as opposed to the blind faith that house prices go up for ever and ever and ever...

Oh I don't think anyone would argue that there is an equal and opposite level of blind faith on the other side of the argument. All I'm saying is you're not so different from the other nutters.

You're just nutters with a different set of beliefs - but nutters nonetheless. We all are.

Edited by Marina

And, ultimately, we live in a pretty irreligious, self-centred, sinful (I guess) society - so I wouldn't say it has been successful.

Too true. I think you are right about the self-centered bit. The success that Christianity set out to bring was not measured by the yardstick of the culture you so accurately describe. Even its founder said the wrong road is wide and the right road is narrow and FEW will find it. Its a minority thing but all are welcome to try it and reject it as the will dictates.

Marina,

You're a HPC member, so does your post apply to you too? B)

Of course it does. We're all guilty of constructing our own belief structure.

I am a bear

I believe (oh yes, I do believe) that high house prices are intrinsically bad for society - and are responsible for a whole host of ills

I think a generation getting priced out is not fair and I don't like it

But, I observe the market takes no notice of your beliefs and can still generally be characterized as being a bull market.

So, I think you need a bit more than Passive Resistance and an insistence that you are right for anything to change.

That's all.

Much like Christian fundamentalists we do tend to greet signs of the forthcoming apocalypse with unconstrained glee.

Record mortgage repossessions are our equivalent of earthquakes.

Factory closures and mass lay-offs are our floods.

Interest rate hikes are plagues of locust afflicting the damned (or in this case over-leveraged owner-occupiers).

Out of control borrowing is the equivalent of the descent in sinfulness that the scriptures predict will happen in the endtimes.

Finally there is the beast, plotting in his lair. He hath a name and it is Gordon!

Much like Christian fundamentalists we do tend to greet signs of the forthcoming apocalypse with unconstrained glee.

Record mortgage repossessions are our equivalent of earthquakes.

Factory closures and mass lay-offs are our floods.

Interest rate hikes are plagues of locust afflicting the damned (or in this case over-leveraged owner-occupiers).

Out of control borrowing is the equivalent of the descent in sinfulness that the scriptures predict will happen in the endtimes.

Finally there is the beast, plotting in his lair. He hath a name and it is Gordon!

I like this - are there any orgies and virgins likely to be involved?

I'm talking about the Christian church(es)... not Christianity, or Christ himself.

I'd say it was a pretty successful organisation, given it's genesis (no pun intended)

I'm talking about the Christian church(es)... not Christianity, or Christ himself.

I'd say it was a pretty successful organisation, given it's genesis (no pun intended)

When you look at the wealth the Catholic Church has accrued - the property the Church of England has got - certainly, on a fiscal level, it seems to have been a cunning stunt by anyone's standards.

From the point of view of convincing people to 'love thy neighbour as thou loves thyself' - well ... not such a good job eh?

Talking about passive martyrdom it occurred to me that maybe HPC should have a media campaign or press office. After all, the VIs put out press releases on a regular basis. The problem I suppose is that there are too many unpopular and in some cases extreme views expressed on the forum to be taken seriously.

But they do, dont they? Ultimatley. Just like all assets. Sure, in the short term they may drop a bit, but if you take any kind of long term view they keep going up, its called price inflation.

us HPCers are really just trying to "time the market", ie buy on a dip of what is an never ending and relentless rising market.

Talking about passive martyrdom it occurred to me that maybe HPC should have a media campaign or press office. After all, the VIs put out press releases on a regular basis. The problem I suppose is that there are too many unpopular and in some cases extreme views expressed on the forum to be taken seriously.

You are way out of line there. This is a church for the down-trodden and disadvantaged to get together and pray for deliverance. Passive martyrdom is the correct stance on here. Action, of any sort, is frowned upon.

Passive negativity is the name of the game. If you and all the other members of the congregation (all 50 of you) do NOT buy and pray hard and long enough, the HPC will happen of its own accord.

On your knees now!

But they do, dont they? Ultimatley. Just like all assets. Sure, in the short term they may drop a bit, but if you take any kind of long term view they keep going up, its called price inflation.

us HPCers are really just trying to "time the market", ie buy on a dip of what is an never ending and relentless rising market.

I agree.

Despite what you read on here, I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim that prices can never drop. When people say that property always goes up, they mean over a period of time. History tells us that prices dip and plateau all over the place but that the long term trend is upwards.

I agree.

Despite what you read on here, I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim that prices can never drop. When people say that property always goes up, they mean over a period of time. History tells us that prices dip and plateau all over the place but that the long term trend is upwards.

Very few things see their price drop, except things like bread or electronic gadgets that quickly become obsolete.

My wages will probably always go up as well. Big deal.

Very few things see their price drop, except things like bread or electronic gadgets that quickly become obsolete.

My wages will probably always go up as well. Big deal.

I wouldn't rely on that. In the last recession wages in the construction industry pretty much halved. There was no mucking about along the 'what salary are you looking for?' lines - it was simply 'we're offering £xk and I know that's less than what you are on now, but that's how it is'.