House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

West Midlands Rocked By Land Rover Closure

http://www.autowired.co.uk/news/article.aspx?storyid=16330

Solihull lay-offs as Freelander goes north west

THE NUMBER of additional workers required to build the new Freelander 2 at the Halewood Jaguar plant near
Liverpool will be much lower than those laid-off at Land Rover's plant in Solihull.
The midland plant, which lost the Freelander 2 assembly in favour of the Halewood plant, will be laying-off 1,290 this year, leaving around 5,900 jobs. Around 500 were laid-off last week.
Geoff Polites, CEO of Jaguar and Land Rover said that Halewood is running a slow single shift for Jaguar,

Rover, Peugeot and now Freelander division of Landrover. Jag slowing........ :o

This is OLD news.

It's a new car, made in a much newer factory, how could it ever be made by the same number of people as the old one. Plus the thing people are really missing is, if the Freelander's off to Liverpool, what's happening to the X Type......

LR is making pots of money at the moment on its sales, the RR is still selling big, the RR Sport is making a fortune, they are making hand over fist on LR3s and the current Freelander is and always was a money pit due its reliability and BMW engine cost problems (and that's before Rover dropped it in the crap by not having any petrol engines left).

It needed a new car, if you look at the pricing, you will also see it leaves room for a sub £20K car below it - the old one was a £15K base price car (and less). PAG (Premier Automotive Group) is also cost sharing quite well, it's only a few people who have worked out that the 2.7 diesel is everywhere (including Citroens.... !), the V8 in the Aston AMV8, the RR and the Jags is basically the same engine and that the X Type is not as good as it should have been

AS for Jag slowing, X type marketing people should have been shot within 6 months of launch. They are the same ones who dropped the F Type - idiots. The XJ does not sell in volume - ask the US marketing men why that is and the S Type is selling OK (even though it's an old Lincoln... [convtroversial]). It is also trying to sell too many cars at too low a margin the US - which has hurt it a lot - it was OK when Ford was piling in money, but as Ford is heading towards junk credit status, the taps are definitely off. The new XK is good, and apparently a profitable car to make too.

Not as bad news as you would think.

Yes, I do have a personal interest in Jaguar - keeps family in a house.

Edited by Rachman

This is OLD news.

It's a new car, made in a much newer factory, how could it ever be made by the same number of people as the old one. Plus the thing people are really missing is, if the Freelander's off to Liverpool, what's happening to the X Type......

LR is making pots of money at the moment on its sales, the RR is still selling big, the RR Sport is making a fortune, they are making hand over fist on LR3s and the current Freelander is and always was a money pit due its reliability and BMW engine cost problems (and that's before Rover dropped it in the crap by not having any petrol engines left).

It needed a new car, if you look at the pricing, you will also see it leaves room for a sub £20K car below it - the old one was a £15K base price car (and less). PAG (Premier Automotive Group) is also cost sharing quite well, it's only a few people who have worked out that the 2.7 diesel is everywhere (including Citroens.... !), the V8 in the Aston AMV8, the RR and the Jags is basically the same engine and that the X Type is not as good as it should have been

AS for Jag slowing, X type marketing people should have been shot within 6 months of launch. They are the same ones who dropped the F Type - idiots. The XJ does not sell in volume - ask the US marketing men why that is and the S Type is selling OK (even though it's an old Lincoln... [convtroversial]). It is also trying to sell too many cars at too low a margin the US - which has hurt it a lot - it was OK when Ford was piling in money, but as Ford is heading towards junk credit status, the taps are definitely off. The new XK is good, and apparently a profitable car to make too.

Not as bad news as you would think.

Yes, I do have a personal interest in Jaguar - keeps family in a house.

I have a good friend at the factory and he is in his late forties and will be leaving in December. The news is not so good in the West Midlands and it is not helping property market sentiment at all. :(

I have a good friend at the factory and he is in his late forties and will be leaving in December. The news is not so good in the West Midlands and it is not helping property market sentiment at all. :(

Now that I can't disagree with - the Browns Lane closure hit the area relatively hard and with Peugeot going too (though again expected) and MGR having been put out of its misery, the sentiment is not good. I just hope that those who took the VR also had the common sense to make sure they battened down their hatches first and did not expect to go straight into another similar paying job locally - the package offered at Jag was that good in the end, too many people wanted to go in certain critical areas....

The problems stem more from sh1te US management in Jag's case (styling, Uscentric and diesels far too late), coupled with comedy unionised working practices and global conditions affecting luxury cars (i.e. crap US exchange rates and rubbish US margins). The cars now (inc the diesel X type estate and bar a few plastics they stole from the Nissan Almera by the looks of it) are excellent and more reliable than their German counterparts).

The Peugeot decision was cynical but on the cards and MGR was eating its last breakfast for about 3 years.....

With the Ryton plant going off line next year, and the subsequent knock-on effect, I can't see house prices around the Rugby and Coventry area rising. I think they will continue to stagnate and/or slowly tank.

With the Ryton plant going off line next year, and the subsequent knock-on effect, I can't see house prices around the Rugby and Coventry area rising. I think they will continue to stagnate and/or slowly tank.

I thought that when Marconi laid off thousands, but it didn't seem to stop prices going crazy in 2002-2004 around Coventry and Warwickshire.

Now Telent has been aquired will there be more Coventry jobs shed I wonder/

I thought that when Marconi laid off thousands, but it didn't seem to stop prices going crazy in 2002-2004 around Coventry and Warwickshire.

Now Telent has been aquired will there be more Coventry jobs shed I wonder/

Coventry suffered terribly in the 70s, used to be such a friendly place but the recession hit it hard, causing changed attitudes that have never really gone away, all these latest job losses only serve to add despair.

Must affect property prices,who wants to live in an area with such low employment.

I was at a party near Ryton last weekend. Most of the blokes there caught the 6:04 train from Rugby to London and worked in the city.

I was amazed - what an abysmal lifestyle.