House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

London Train Fares To Double

http://www.startups.co.uk/London_businesse...le.YSGnKUs.html

London businesses to suffer as rail fares double

29/06/2006

London businesses are likely to have a drop in trade, as potential customers will be put off from coming into the capital by recently announced
100% train fare increases
, the city’s travel watchdog has warned.
This month rail operator First Capital Connect announced that it was
doubling fares
on some lines as a way to reduce overcrowding on its trains.
Also, passengers are
no longer able to use ‘cheap day return’
tickets between the times of 4.30 p.m. and 7 p.m.

I wonder if the CPI "basket" is an exercise in public deception?

"This month rail operator First Capital Connect announced that it was doubling fares on some lines as a way to reduce overcrowding on its trains."

So no one thought about getting hold of some extra trains then!?

God why are so many people such muppets!

(though I dont actually care - 90% of London is a dump so long as its inhabitants never realise this and all stay there I will be happy! :))

This month rail operator First Capital Connect announced that it was doubling fares on some lines as a way to reduce overcrowding on its trains.

Great way to increase road congestion :rolleyes:

Realist, was this actually in the basket? When did it get removed?

I'm getting p***** off with the government removing eveything going up from the cpi basket? Is there anyone we can complain to?

Does anything ever get added that goes up? :unsure:

Funny how the picture is a Japanese Shinkansen bullet train and not a FCC Class 365 Networker?

Sources say that the DfT recently renogtiated fundamental aspects for the Thameslink franchise after it was awarded to FirstGroup and the details made public.

Basically the "cap and collar" revenue protection deal now kicks in year four of the franchise, instead of year five (the basis of their bid).

JPMorgan said the changes mean that downside revenue risk is much reduced, with FirstGroup able to achieve revenue growth easier and make MORE profit.

Getting more trains would be an absolute non-starter. You have to lease trains from a Bank, which costs an absolute fortune.

To top it all, the money is wasted on rebranding the trains in pink and purple!

Realist, was this actually in the basket? When did it get removed?

I'm getting p***** off with the government removing eveything going up from the cpi basket? Is there anyone we can complain to?

Does anything ever get added that goes up? :unsure:

I was being a bit cynical. I doubt fares have been in the basket since they started spiking upwards. It seems that everyone believes the CPI basket is a deception, especially after Gordon added MP3 players knowing, as he must, that electronic tat has been dropping in price for years due to Chinese production and the speed of new technology coming to market. IMO, the government should be held to account and to end the deception by including all of the major non-discretionaries (train fares, council tax, houses, rents, gas & electric, fuel etc.) as well as discretionaries.

http://www.startups.co.uk/London_businesse...le.YSGnKUs.html

London businesses to suffer as rail fares double

29/06/2006

London businesses are likely to have a drop in trade, as potential customers will be put off from coming into the capital by recently announced
100% train fare increases
, the city’s travel watchdog has warned.
This month rail operator First Capital Connect announced that it was
doubling fares
on some lines as a way to reduce overcrowding on its trains.
Also, passengers are
no longer able to use ‘cheap day return’
tickets between the times of 4.30 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Unbelievable! :o I was looking (at my most desperate time) at buying a house in Bedford/Luton and commuting to London the train journey didn't seem too long. BTW I've now booted that idea right out the door! So now they're penalising you for not being able to afford in London by 100% of the trainfare!!! Considering this is already a large chunk of people's salaries this is the final insult.

You can't afford to live where you work and now you can't afford to get to work, brilliant!

This country is run by lunatics! :angry:

I'm wondering if people swallow this, how long it will be before the other train companies follow suit? It's deeply concerning.

As was mentioned in the Indie the other day, everyone experiences a different rate of inflation depending on their own personal proclivities and tastes.

http://money.independent.co.uk/personal_fi...icle1096116.ece

I realise this has been linked before but I think it contains a decent explanation / overview.

People that use water are feeling some inflationary pain:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4337187.stm

Water bills to rise still further

The new figure for 2005/06 takes inflation into account

Average household water bills in England and Wales will rise by 11.8%, or £29, for the year beginning 1 April, the industry regulator Ofwat has said.

In order for Gordon to show 2% inflation he cannot include essentials such as water, fuel, gas & electricity, council tax, TV license fee, treain and bus fares, air fares and the biggest one of them all: house prices or rentals. In othert words basics for living. Chinese Tat will keep going down for awhile at least to keep his CPI at or under 2%.

What a con-job. Does anyone belive him? :angry:

Edited by Realistbear

Hold on folks! I've just sussed it!!

The motorist, as everyone knows, is the government's favourite cash cow. By encouraging companies to price people off public transport and into cars they'll collect more tax revenue.

You can't afford to live where you work and now you can't afford to get to work, brilliant!

This country is run by lunatics! :angry:

Commuters won't be affected by this as they are not eligible for cheap one day return fares in any case.

Increases in train fares are regulated by the govt. I think the last rise was around 4% year-on-year. Of course by changing the discounting structure for cheaper fares the Train Companies have been able to increase their revenue beyond this.

However there are ways around it. Britain's train fares are absurdly complicated, and loopholes abound. To get around the increase proposed here you could buy a two stage ticket. Ticket one is a cheap day return to a station that the train you want to board stops at before getting to London, ticket two is the full price ticket for the second leg of the journey.

See this guardian story

Trains into London are still a better bet than cars when you consider congestion charges and parking costs.

But still, it's one more reason not to visit the capital. London = Rip Off

However there are ways around it. Britain's train fares are absurdly complicated, and loopholes abound. To get around the increase proposed here you could buy a two stage ticket. Ticket one is a cheap day return to a station that the train you want to board stops at before getting to London, ticket two is the full price ticket for the second leg of the journey.

I was looking at a Leeds-Peterborough return a while ago and discovered it was cheaper to buy a Leeds-London Kings Cross return and just get off at Peterborough than to actually get a ticket to Peterborough!

Commuters won't be affected by this as they are not eligible for cheap one day return fares in any case.

Increases in train fares are regulated by the govt. I think the last rise was around 4% year-on-year. Of course by changing the discounting structure for cheaper fares the Train Companies have been able to increase their revenue beyond this.

See this guardian story

Trains into London are still a better bet than cars when you consider congestion charges and parking costs.

But still, it's one more reason not to visit the capital. London = Rip Off

Also
, passengers are no longer able to use ‘cheap day return’ tickets between the times of 4.30 p.m. and 7 p.m.

I am afraid the cheap day tickets are the "also" which is in addition to the doubling of the commuter fares.

Was going to go to London recently, left it late to look at prices but it was going to cost about 600 quid each so decided not to go.

It was cheaper to fly but wrong times for us.

its an absolute joke.

the only things that should be in the basket as a way of measuring inflation are 'Necessities'

you dont need an mp3 player, a chicken kiev or a lager from a nightclub; so you can get by without it.

you do need though, a roof over your head, water, gas and travel to get around.

its utter nonsense !

all those muppets that voted labour have really stitched this country up.

Increases in train fares are regulated by the govt.

Like Water, Elctricity, Gas

and why would they agree to increasea above inflation increases if the inflation is really reflecting the real life situation

its a con anybody ?

I like many are pretty piss~ed off with the government fiddling the rate of inflation, so to stifle wage demands/inflation etc etc.

Removing essentials is totally out of order, but what do you expect, it keeps them in power i suppose, would the opposition do any different, probably not, thats the politian for you.

But surely, as voting public there must be a way to voice your opinion/complain, so to allow the mass public the oppurtunity to realise they are being conned by the Fat dictator.

1) Write to Mr Murdock et al, get him on side, you are laughing????

well, we've seen the fat controllers strike... so how about a punter strike? No one travel on the trains for a week...

I like many are pretty piss~ed off with the government fiddling the rate of inflation, so to stifle wage demands/inflation etc etc.

Removing essentials is totally out of order, but what do you expect, it keeps them in power i suppose, would the opposition do any different, probably not, thats the politian for you.

But surely, as voting public there must be a way to voice your opinion/complain, so to allow the mass public the oppurtunity to realise they are being conned by the Fat dictator.

1) Write to Mr Murdock et al, get him on side, you are laughing????

Are you saying people are stupid ? wink wink

Pretty soon the CPI basket will suggest that we all ride into work on a plasma screen TV, eat Tesco value baked beans 3 times a day and heat our homes with MP3 players... <_<

Pretty soon the CPI basket will suggest that we all ride into work on a plasma screen TV, eat Tesco value baked beans 3 times a day and heat our homes with MP3 players... <_<

:lol:

That is what it is already assuming. Good one

They have a captive audience, people might moan but they will have pay as London is where the good jobs are.

Coming from Australia twelve year's ago I remember yearly fares into London from Bedford being expensive, as a result I moved into central london early on. For a couple both working they can easily shell out 6K a year to the rail company with nothing to show for it but stress, over ten years that's 60K! Really a second mortgage almost.

I've convinced central london property can only benefit from the crumbling commuting infrastructure and it's expense. People are paying a premium for being close to work so they can walk or cycle and there is a growing market in flats to live in during the week. You

have also got time to enjoy yourself during the week in London.

Much better to chuck the 6K on a place in town rather than give it to the railways. Also prices do not drop as much as you think even an hour from London, hardly worth it for a doll house.

I have a 35 minute walk to the city for work , get lots of exercise so save on gym and transport costs(even a zone 1 will cost a bit over a month).

Edited by mercsl

Brilliant :lol::lol::lol: