House Price Crash Forum

Unless my eyes are malfunctioning again. There was pleasure and pain last night and boy, did one couple experience pain.

:huh:

Down about £40k on their investment, forced to sell their own house and ended up moving into their flat (above a bar with late license). They reckon they will be able put it on the market next year and make up the money they are down.

:blink:

I can't believe banks are actually lending the money to these goons. I don't get bearish too often (more neutral these days) but if there is a recession, it's gonna be a whopper.

Edit: Here's a TMF write up on it;

Property Bladder

Oh yeah, forgot to mention as well as selling their house, lots of the work was funded with credit cards and loans.

It would be rude not too, wouldn't it?

:rolleyes:

Edited by Golden Shower

Down about £40k on their investment, forced to sell their own house and ended up moving into their flat (above a bar with late license). They reckon they will be able put it on the market next year and make up the money they are down.

Yes, I watched it last night.

A housing bubble has given the impression to morons like these, that forever rising property prices will bail them out of any costly overspend on the renovation and transformation of these properties.

It was just another example of people in total denial when it comes to the property market.

Sarah Beeny's got her head screwed on though.

Unless my eyes are malfunctioning again. There was pleasure and pain last night and boy, did one couple experience pain.

I can't believe banks are actually lending the money to these goons. I don't get bearish too often (more neutral these days) but if there is a recession, it's gonna be a whopper.

Edit: Here's a TMF write up on it;

Property Bladder

Oh yeah, forgot to mention as well as selling their house, lots of the work was funded with credit cards and loans.

It would be rude not too, wouldn't it?

:rolleyes:

The main reason I want the property market to crash isn't so I can afford my own home. It's so these bloody programmes will be cancelled once and for all! I hate them! I turned on the TV the other night and there were three on at the same time on different channels. I would rather stick forks in my eyes than watch these things.

The main reason I want the property market to crash isn't so I can afford my own home. It's so these bloody programmes will be cancelled once and for all! I hate them! I turned on the TV the other night and there were three on at the same time on different channels. I would rather stick forks in my eyes than watch these things.

On the whole I agree about the TV thing, I do like Property Ladder for some reason. Can't stomach the rest.

:)

Was great viewing.

Sarah could have took the couple to studio flats the size of the one she proposed to show the potential but I suspect even then they'd have gone ahead with their plans. I'd reckoned early on they'd move into it anyway :)

Didn't see the show but it echoes of the past.

I had a mate buy a huge house in the late 80s, no carpets, no furniture, hole in the roof, needed a lot of work!

Didn't matter because the prices would rise soon & he could borrow to get it done.

Prices fell to approx 20% lower & he lived in squalour for about 6 years till wages caught up enough to be able to make inroads to repairs & furnishings.

Stuck it out though, fair play to him, now sitting pretty, but obviously getting defiled for being a rich propertry owner who bought at the right time & life was so much easier then.

I had a mate buy a huge house in the late 80s, no carpets, no furniture, hole in the roof, needed a lot of work!

Didn't matter because the prices would rise soon & he could borrow to get it done.

Prices fell to approx 20% lower & he lived in squalour for about 6 years till wages caught up enough to be able to make inroads to repairs & furnishings.

Stuck it out though, fair play to him, now sitting pretty, but obviously getting defiled for being a rich propertry owner who bought at the right time & life was so much easier then.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? late 80's was a terrible time to buy.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? late 80's was a terrible time to buy.

No, that's when he bought.

ummed & aaahed for ages then bought at the worse possible time.

Just had to edit this, yes a touch of sarcasm for all those who assume that all homeowners then knew the market was about to pop & they all wisely bought at the bottom end, Yeh right.

Edited by warwickbloke

Guest X-QUORK

It's wonderful to see that at long last some of the numpty 'have-a-go' amatuer property developers on Property Ladder are actually losing large sums of money. No longer can they rely on HPI to bail them out of the $hit when they've made grossly inadequate 'back of a fag-packet' budget calculations.

Bring it on, let's see more of these please Sarah.

These feckless morons borrowed another £80k "on credit cards and loans" ??!!?

Hope they enjoy spending the next 15 years in NegEq eating Lidl baked beans, whilst stuggling to make the minimum payments, and watching their integrated media system on full volume to drown out the racket from the pub downstairs

I used to live in Islington, and theres no way you'ld want to live above one of those bars on Upper St. Theyre mega-busy most nights of the week

On the whole I agree about the TV thing, I do like Property Ladder for some reason. Can't stomach the rest.

:)

I know all too well the reason that I like Property Ladder. Sarah is rather tasty, classy and very cute. Happy days. TF

Presumably if he hadn't bought in the late 80s hed be sitting even prettier now! :lol:

To one of the posters above, no Sarah is not tasty now. She was much better before she continuously gave birth to a million kids.

Anyway, sensible question now: As this show was probably shot last year and the wait till spring was probably for spring this year. That property was in London and they have had HPI this year. Does anyone know if it has sold yet?

Hope they enjoy spending the next 15 years in NegEq eating Lidl baked beans....

Don't know why people are so prejudiced against Lidl.

I shop at Waitrose and Lidl - bulk stuff from Lidl, since it's further away, everyday stuff from Waitrose. You may not recognise the German brands, but they are mostly pretty good quality.

In Germany Lidl regularly tops blind tasting tests for individual products.

To one of the posters above, no Sarah is not tasty now. She was much better before she continuously gave birth to a million kids.

What's that thing on her lip? I found it hard to concentrate on the program as my attention kept getting drawn to it. Is it some sort of mutant cold sore?

What's that thing on her lip? I found it hard to concentrate on the program as my attention kept getting drawn to it. Is it some sort of mutant cold sore?

This thread is useless without pictures

It is unbelievable how many people are utterly convinced by them though. I have well educated and in most other respects sane friends who think that Krusty&Phil and that woman who looks for places in the sun I forget her name are great and they believe everything they say.

- only when I was on the phone to one of them a few months ago and it turned out we both had Location Location Location on in the background (I watch it for a laugh sometimes), the one where Phil tries to get a couple expecting a baby soon, to buy what is effectivly a farmers old grain store did she realise that possibly they were talking out of their arses.

We just need a few more folk to realise

At the start:

Sarah Beeney "Your idea is rubbish and you will lose money. Sub-divide the property into three smaller places and you will make £150k profit"

Stupid Couple "No. It is against our principles to sub-divide the property"

Some time later when it was apparent that they might only just break-even:

Stupid Couple "What we needed was a wake-up call at the start to stop us going down this route to financial ruin"

Sarah Beeney stands in front of them with a look of complete disbelief. Any remaining sympathy is lost. Thinks to herself "let's hope this costs you big."

Some time again:

Stupid Couple "We don't agree with the valuations that mean we will lose £40k+ We'll get more valuations"

Property developers? Ha, don't make me laugh.

Xil.

The one thing i love about Property Ladder is the complete idiots they have on there, and Sarah Beeny is saying 'don't spend thousands on a posh kitchen/bathroom/etc' and do they ever listen?

i think she's brilliant on that show, she tells these people the most obvious things and they alway always ignore her and mess things up and wildly overspend!

the difference now is that, previously these prats were ok because property was going up constantly but not so much now.

the 2 funniest episodes were one guy decided to knock down all the interior walls on the ground floor leaving a staircase in the middle of the room with only one bannister...duh! The other was a pair of sisters, one whom was 'arty' and kept spending thousands on awful designer features in lurid colours. The result of which was anyone who came round to view were complaining about the vile colour scheme!

This programme showed how naive people are. The statement at the end... it doesnt matter that we have lost money... we wanted to create something spectacular and we have achieved that!!!

What a tit!!! It could look a complete shithole, but if it made 1p profit it is still better than what they had. Alls they are saying is that someone will but the flat at a market price but we have paid an extra 40K to do it up for them. Fooking muppets!!!! And all these things on loans and credit cards?????

Let keep it till the spring :blink: Yeah another 6 months of CC interest on shitloads of money!!!!

UN-FUKIN-BELIEVABLE!!!!!

TB

Did laff me c*ck off though - what muppets!!! :lol:

Why does nobody mention the other couple (two women) who made about 90K profit (sorry forgot this was a bear forum). Admittedly they got lucky as they bought their place without even seeing it, but they made a good job or the renovation and did it on budget.

There is money to be made in property even in the declining market its just there are going to be more and more of these hapless couples who ignore Beeneys advice and forget that property development is based on three basic principles;

what you pay, what you spend and what you sell it for.

I have to say i do like watching these programs - especially Property ladder and that Property developing abroad one ..... oh and homes under the hammer.

Ok ..... so i watch em all ... :lol:

I think it would have been easier (and much funnier) to have filmed them standing in Islington High Street and giving away free money.

They could have avoided buying the flat, accepted they were a complete pair of muppets with dollar signs for eyeballs, and handed out 10k or 20k to passers by.

Hang on, that was the same program....

And can someone enlighten me who is completely and utterly idiotic enough to spend 47k on a white panelled MDF kitchen?

00069D61-FB82-137A-88290C01AC1BF814.jpg

That's the best I can find. You can see it reflecting the light. Like a balloon.

Now imagine her with no hair. She'd look like a hard bloke.