House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BenH

Latest In New Malden

Glad to say the market has truly died in New Malden. Kingston is apparently still hot, and flats and houses are still selling. HOWEVER: where I am in New Malden, the 4 main estate agents close to the High St have had the same houses for sale in the past 3 months, but none have been reduced.

Me thinks the sellers are reading about the rocketing prices in London and are assuming the prices here in SW London will continue to rise..

Certain EA are renowned for hiking up prices (Cu **hods and Ba *rnard Marcus for example..- am I allowed to mention them ?)...

As an example look at these 2 bungalows... they are tiny, and one of them needs a lot of work, but the prices are truly astounding..

http://www.findaproperty.com/agent.aspx?ag...p;photo=1#photo

http://www.findaproperty.com/agent.aspx?ag...&pid=356973

My wife is pretty fed up of us renting and wants to move, but I need to convince her to be patient. Even I am feeling the sliver of anticipation that house prices here in SW London may drop... However, we have had this false dawn before...

Sh*itholes in Bradford, York, W.Midlands et al may have already fallen, but the London market seems to have a life of its own...

thats good news! We were going to buy a 2 bed in new malden (needed a bit of work) in Summer 2003 for 225,000 and decided against it. Someone else bought it then and sold it recently for 245,000. So in nearly 3 years it only went up by 20 grand (about 8%).

I am waiting until late this year before we even start looking again.

Curchods valued my home not 10 miles away (different branch) and appear to have been on the button with what I thought three months ago - since then four very similar houses have been and gone (with Curchods and others) - each went under offer in less than 10days and each was more than 20% higher than the top of the range I was given - the EA manager has been on the phone several times telling me he needs to revalue upwards as he has no stock (and neither does anybody else) and that the market has moved up significantly (and my own eyes tell me it has too - I simply would not pay what other people seem to be) - it's not worth selling, not because I think it could be worth more if I wait, but because it would cost so much to move and the next rung up to make it worthwhile is frighteningly expensive.

Near me, sub £300K houses, gone almost instantly, family houses from fly away, the difficulty in the market is the new flats, the brand new ones sell, but the resale seems to be very poor.

Curchods valued my home not 10 miles away (different branch) and appear to have been on the button with what I thought three months ago - since then four very similar houses have been and gone (with Curchods and others) - each went under offer in less than 10days and each was more than 20% higher than the top of the range I was given - the EA manager has been on the phone several times telling me he needs to revalue upwards as he has no stock (and neither does anybody else) and that the market has moved up significantly (and my own eyes tell me it has too - I simply would not pay what other people seem to be) - it's not worth selling, not because I think it could be worth more if I wait, but because it would cost so much to move and the next rung up to make it worthwhile is frighteningly expensive.

Near me, sub £300K houses, gone almost instantly, family houses from fly away, the difficulty in the market is the new flats, the brand new ones sell, but the resale seems to be very poor.

Why not STR? ;)

Why not STR? ;)

Rent is about £4.5K a month for a decent sized family house in a decent area near me. My mortgage interest is a LOT less than that..... it's why I took so long to find thge right house to buy instead of offering asking on the first one I saw.

I know I am lucky, but you make a lot of your own luck, before someone does the maths. However, I should say that I am helping family buy elsewhere (the NW) and whilst asking prices are up, the volume of sales since mid 2004 has been sod all - that is indicator for me that the market we are looking at (£300K to £500K) is flat as sellers are trying to continue to push the market and buyers can't get the mortgages to pay them....

Edited by Rachman

Rent is about £4.5K a month for a decent sized family house in a decent area near me. My mortgage interest is a LOT less than that..... it's why I took so long to find thge right house to buy instead of offering asking on the first one I saw.

I know I am lucky, but you make a lot of your own luck, before someone does the maths. However, I should say that I am helping family buy elsewhere (the NW) and whilst asking prices are up, the volume of sales since mid 2004 has been sod all - that is indicator for me that the market we are looking at (£300K to £500K) is flat as sellers are trying to continue to push the market and buyers can't get the mortgages to pay them....

4.5k per month? where are you?? Sounds very very high.