House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest muttley

Brown's Binge Will Leave Us With A Nasty Hangover

Guest muttley

An interesting article from today's Daily Telegaraph on the Prime-Minister-in-waiting's legacy to the UK economy. (Scroll down to second article)

Brown's Binge Will Leave Us With A Nasty Hangover

With the public finances in such a poor state, there won't be much public money left to spend in the next five years, so this is an option that simply won't be available to Mr Brown's successor. If by some ill fortune there is a big inflationary shock, or a house price crash, he will be ill-equipped to deal with the consequences.

So, the Telegraph's bearish on Britain yet again.

My question is, how do you distinguish whether the Telegraph has really done the numbers and come to this conclusion, or if it is a bit of wishful thinking, given their known right-of-centre political standpoint.

Genuine question.

frugalista

My question is, how do you distinguish whether the Telegraph has really done the numbers and come to this conclusion, or if it is a bit of wishful thinking, given their known right-of-centre political standpoint.

Genuine question.

frugalista

Good point. With apologies to those here who are right-of-centre in their political thinking - it's always a cause for personal alarm when I find myself agreeing with the Telegraph. Mind you I seem to remember them giving the Tories a hammering when they were in charge too so perhaps they just like whinging.

Guest muttley

Genuine question.

frugalista

I think that is a good point too.

I didn't start the thread because I had drawn any conclusions from it, but merely to show that the site's tendency to bearishness is seeping through to the main press. Being contrarian is all very well, but we will have to be right eventually.

I think that is a good point too.

I didn't start the thread because I had drawn any conclusions from it, but merely to show that the site's tendency to bearishness is seeping through to the main press. Being contrarian is all very well, but we will have to be right eventually.

I'm not a News Paper buyer, but it seems to me that the Telegraph are just pointing out obvious fact. Browner has over estimated economic growth year apon year, the Labour party are always overspending.

I think some of us ought to realise the balance on our credit cards is not actually credit!