House Price Crash Forum
CrashCrash

Barclays To Cut 1,200 Positions

Technology upgrades will result in the closure of three processing sites at Bexleyheath in Kent, Clacton in Essex, and Dudley in the
West Midlands
, with the potential loss of 1,203 call centre and back office

Looks like my area is to take another hit. It used to be just manufacturing and retailing losing jobs around here now the services sector! Land Rover are closing down in Birmingham in November which will no doubt add to the already darkening sentiment. As the EAs used to say, it was strong employment numbers that were keeping house prices going up up and away. That is now consigned to the wastepaper basket of a period of history we are looking forward to seeing the back of.

Barclays is to cut more than 1,200 jobs as part of a two-year shake-up plan that will also see the Woolwich name disappear from the High Street.

Er, eh... you don't think the bank thinks there's going to be a downturn, do you. ;)

No, of course not. Its merely a cost cutting exercise. They don't need a Barclays AND a Woolwich on the same street.

Watch out below.

fp

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5126032.stm

Barclays is to cut more than 1,200 jobs as part of a two-year shake-up plan that will also see the Woolwich name disappear from the High Street.

I got a letter today from barclays announcing lower interest on savings accounts, surely they wouldn't penalise responsible savers to fund the shortfall caused by irresponsible borrowers, would they?

Sack a few workers as well, maximise the suffering.

Banks are scum!!! They only see money and people are just account numbers to them.

If they are making £1.8 Billion profit they want £2.8 Billion profit. If it means putting the loyal staff, who have EARNED them their profits, out on the street then so-be-it. Its sickens me when companies make such radical reform that they are maximising their profits whilst all the people are made redundant and the bank can no longer offer a decent service becuase they are UNDER-STAFFED!!! :blink:

TB

Banks have invested heavily in IT for years to reduce human intervention - I think this is nothing more than another 'clear out'

These people, theoretically, will go into the 'new economy' jobs created by the increased productivity and reinvestment in new 'emerging' businesses by the wealthy....

Well, thats what students are told in their business studies degree/A level courses.... <snigger>

incidentally, Barclays shares closed up +0.75% against a sector average of +0.2%. City loves redundancies.

Also today:

About 100 jobs to go at hospital

A hospital trust has announced it is axing about 100 jobs and closing 140 beds as a result of improvements it is making to patient services.

and

555 posts may go in plant closure

A pharmaceutical company has announced plans to close its plant in Hampshire with the loss of 555 posts.

... all those lovely redundant workers keeping wage settlements moderate ... super for profitability ... shame about the mortgage

and consumer goods ... no probs for our companies that do half their biz overseas ...

Oh, what am I thinking of. Sorry guys and gals. Now, repeat after Realistbear : bad for property means bad for stocks, bad for property means .....

(if only it were that simple).

These people, theoretically, will go into the 'new economy' jobs created by the increased productivity and reinvestment in new 'emerging' businesses by the wealthy....

:lol:

A Nu-Laborious spin master if ever I saw one.

D :D

Banks are scum!!! They only see money and people are just account numbers to them.

If they are making £1.8 Billion profit they want £2.8 Billion profit. If it means putting the loyal staff, who have EARNED them their profits, out on the street then so-be-it. Its sickens me when companies make such radical reform that they are maximising their profits whilst all the people are made redundant and the bank can no longer offer a decent service becuase they are UNDER-STAFFED!!! :blink:

TB

what makes me laugh the lloyds branch across the road from me, every single day the queue goes out the front door, they have to put the automated doors on manual so they dont shut on the queue.

there is 6 tills and never more then 2 open.

how much profit did lloyds make last year?

When I am paying in cheques I always take it to the seperate desk now since I cant see the bank justifying that kind of service and wont queue.

theres considerable proposed cuts to teh fire brigade coming.

more possible strikes.

-also. ive found a war to make star wars empire fighters from computer keys below -

]*[

]*[

]*[

:lol:

A Nu-Laborious spin master if ever I saw one.

D :D

I was taught this BS back in the 90's while at Uni

It is true - it just has a 'lag' time between destruction and creation