House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
right_freds_dead

Norton Finance Ad

having watched the current ad i quote:

"we want a loan to pay off all our debts"

how can that be. surley another loan is another debt.

so why not complain about this misleading loan ad here:

http://www.asa.org.uk

i started us off with complaint one. norton finance. -misleading text.

i think i am going to start pulling these companies up with what they say. at the moment they are getting away with stuff other companies couldnt. its a genuine complaint i feel.

i think i am going to start pulling these companies up with what they say. at the moment they are getting away with stuff other companies couldnt. its a genuine complaint i feel.

Fred, for those of us who didn't see the ad can you let us know when/which channel you saw it on so we can lodge our formal complaints on their online form.

tc

If I had my way all debt companies would have to advertise like this.

You can buy £5000 of money today for a total cost of £12000 over 5 years repayed monthly.

They always bury the real cost, with APR's and monthly repayments.... this way would make people think.

Edited by HousePriceLottery

Fat man with even fatter neck is still advertising accident compensation. Big nose is still being filmed in Picture the Loan along with idiot wife and Phil Tufnell is still stoned. Norton Finance still has a human called Gareth with a gorilla head, meanwhile Carole Vorderman should be timed out. A new one has an idiot floating slowly down to Earth on a parachute. Look closely at the screen and the average arrangement fee is displayed...

Normally up to 4% of the loan...

Wait for it...

£12,000! My life! Has the World gone mad???

After heated discussion one day with some colleagues I phoned one of these ad for loans things offering 5% interest, depending on your circumstances, fact finding mission.

They offered a loan of 7.9% after I declined their offer of insurance.

When asked to explain what criteria there was for gaining cheaper interest loan as advertised, all questions were brushed aside.

On investigation of their 'insurance', over the term it cost more for the insurance than they were ever going to pay for any claim you could make, even after mentioning that the point of insurance was to pay a lesser sum than would be required to compensate for the expected incident, the guy kept arguing it was a good deal.

Would have made a good training tape to counter difficult customers I suppose.

If I had my way all debt companies would have to advertise like this.

You can buy £5000 of money today for a total cost of £12000 over 5 years repayed monthly.

They always bury the real cost, with APR's and monthly repayments.... this way would make people think.

Making people think does not come into when it comes to todays society.

If they say £82 a month then whether this is for years of 50 years the majority of sheeple just see the £82.

That's why, when people add up all their debt they are shocked by how much they owe!!!

TB

Guest Bart of Darkness
That's why, when people add up all their debt they are shocked by how much they owe!!!

A mate of mine (very bad credit record) bought a car off Yes Car Credit. He signed on the dotted line before adding up the figures.

When he did add up the payments over 5 years he realised that he would be paying approx. £12,000 for a £4,000 car (which Yes probably bought at auction for lesss than £3,000).

He's always making bad deaLs like that, alas. :(

Fred, for those of us who didn't see the ad can you let us know when/which channel you saw it on so we can lodge our formal complaints on their online form.

its on all the time. most channels. in particular during property stuff.

in fact any ad that says "we got a loan to pay off our debts" is i feel misleading advertising, and as such against the ASA rules.

you can lodge a serious complaint against every ad that uses that text, which would probably be upheld and the ad withdrawn.

then we can act as watchdog to monitor all further money ads. they should say.

"at norton finance, we can arrange for you another larger debt to pay off your other smaller debts."

-but it doesnt sound as appealing...

please complain....link at top of page.

I am a firm supporter of this, is it possible to campaign for all loan companies to advertise the end sum paid against the amount borrowed, this would be a much clearer picture.

On a similar note I complained to a leading supermarket the other month;

They had an 'energy drink' priced at 49p per 1litre bottle.

This was on 'SPECIAL OFFER' at '3 FOR £2.50'.

I e' mailed them stating my concern that I felt they were taking advantage of those that had not the capability to calculate mental arithmetic but instead trusted the special offers to be genuine price savers.

They didn't even bother to reply to my concerns.

There are a lot of areas where genuine folk are taken advantage of through their lack of intelligence in certain areas & their trusting natures.

Nowt to do with house prices I know, same ethos applies.

i got the landrover freelander ad pulled due to poor gun security.

(she kept it in a drawer).

took 6 weeks and they had to pull it.

about 30 others complained and our complaints were upheld.

muhahahaha...

i believe there is a solid case against norton finance - and others for misleading advertising.

just 33 more complaints and they will have to think o something else.

but ill be watching it....to make sure its wholly truthful.

Just added my complaint to the list. I think we should go for PICTURE THE LOAN too, those ads really piss me off... "How much do we want to borrow?" he says to his gormless wife, as if he's asking how many peas she would like for tea, "£25,000" she smarms back at him... "They're so nice to talk to, those people at Picture, you can have an adult conversation"... she says, "Yeah, about football!"

Well surely this entire soap opera is doing nothing but making debt seem fun and easy?!

And the wife is filming him on a brand new video camera that she probably just bought on her credit card! FFS!

Edited by IcyBox

I consider "Picture the Loan" the worst loan advert out of the lot, if that's possible. The flippant way he talks about borrowing 25 grand, almost as if he's ordering a takeaway. It's moronic in the extreme.

At no point in his "telephone" call does he discuss interest rates, APR's, term of years. "Yeah, how much a month? that's fantastic".

£25,000 is a large amount of money to borrow as a personal loan. To dangle the carrot of easy money in front of, how can we say, simple minded folk, is disgraceful.

I really do believe this type of advert is representative of today's culture. Just as we look back and laugh at old black and white Govt. information films with their cut glass voiceovers and patronising manner, how will these adverts be regarded say in fifty years time?