House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sledgehead

World's 2nd Riches Gives Away 6.7th Of His Wealth

At last!

This is something Ive been banging on about for yonks.

Gates and Buffet are showing just what wealth creation is all about.

Many on here have critiscised me for saying £2m is enough for any Man to have the perfect life (ie, Alan Sugar, Madonna, Ben Elton et al IMO should give the rest away now and do some good).

'He who dies wealthy dies impoverished'.

I like "A pin lies in wait for every bubble and when the two eventually meet, a new wave of investors learns some very old lessons." When it's a man like Buffett talking, somehow it's a lot more reassuring!

I also like that he lives in a house he bought for $31,500 in 1958...

I would like to have seen Buffett re-take the #1 position before his setting in motion the wheels to his philanthrophic endevours, but perhaps it was not to be.

No. 1, No. 2, does it matter? No. 1 is after all No. way-down-the-ranks in all but timing, by which I mean Bill Gates will undoubtedly do the same as Buffet when he feels ready.

It's such a wierd world. We have liars and cheats and crimminals stealing on unprecedented scales from the poorest to climb these "league tables", gangsters transforming their seedy and violent past into ostenatious displays of wealth, advocating "get rich or die trying", wives and girlfiends of people who play games for a living, attempting to buy status by adorning themselves with diamonds and gold whilst they munch on Big Macs, and all th ewhile, the folks at the very top are just giving it all away.

Undoubtedly some further down the list will feel a pang of guilt and donate a little in a very public way. No doubt the likes of Abramovich will want us to believe it was his to give in the first place. Dream on Roman.

Occasional outbreaks of those two super-contagious diseases, fear and greed, will forever occur in the investment community. The timing of these epidemics is equally unpredictable, both as to duration and degree. Therefore we never try to anticipate the arrival or departure of either. We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful.

Superb...:)

A pin lies in wait for every bubble and when the two eventually meet, a new wave of investors learns some very old lessons.

I like:

"in aggregate, people get nothign for thier money from professional money advisers" (Ive always argued IFAs add no value)

"the time to get interested is when no one else is" (pessimists never seem to latch onto this one)

No. 1, No. 2, does it matter? No. 1 is after all No. way-down-the-ranks in all but timing, by which I mean Bill Gates will undoubtedly do the same as Buffet when he feels ready.

It's such a wierd world. We have liars and cheats and crimminals stealing on unprecedented scales from the poorest to climb these "league tables", gangsters transforming their seedy and violent past into ostenatious displays of wealth, advocating "get rich or die trying", wives and girlfiends of people who play games for a living, attempting to buy status by adorning themselves with diamonds and gold whilst they munch on Big Macs, and all th ewhile, the folks at the very top are just giving it all away.

Undoubtedly some further down the list will feel a pang of guilt and donate a little in a very public way. No doubt the likes of Abramovich will want us to believe it was his to give in the first place. Dream on Roman.

Why do so many people worship P MaCartny, T Cruise, Madonna, Britney, The Beckhams?? It sometimes seems Im alone in my distaine for these greedy little people who could spend thier time, money and fame doing a lot more good than they actually do. Ok, some spend a small amount of time on charity but this is only a fraction of the time they spend on buying rings, a new (5th) home, butlers, shoes etc. Why would anyone celebrate such people is beyond me.

Have they not seen the kids who live under the motorway in the third world and next time they go to blow £50000 on a ring, stop stop stop for good?

Guest Cletus VanDamme

Why do so many people worship P MaCartny, T Cruise, Madonna, Britney, The Beckhams?? It sometimes seems Im alone in my distaine for these greedy little people who could spend thier time, money and fame doing a lot more good than they actually do. Ok, some spend a small amount of time on charity but this is only a fraction of the time they spend on buying rings, a new (5th) home, butlers, shoes etc. Why would anyone celebrate such people is beyond me.

Have they not seen the kids who live under the motorway in the third world and next time they go to blow £50000 on a ring, stop stop stop for good?

Well, I've always felt that high-profile celebrities live in their own hell. Whereas Warren Buffet tries to live as normal a life as possible. He likes to be successful, but he's not interested in the trappings of success.

I've spent a bit of time reading about successful traders/investors and a common theme is, money isn't the be all and end all to them. It's part of it, but not necessarily the main driver for their success.

Kind of makes sense when you think about it, when times are rough and you're running your own business, do you cut and run or do you stick to it knowing that your business is solid and can do well?

Shame Gates and Buffet have to do the work their government is incapable of doing.

There's no point even owning 36 billion dollars. You couldn't spend it on yourself or even all your friends, loved ones, and acquaintances.

It's just winnings isn't it. He's the best, he's won. One of the greatest investors of all time. And he just gave it away.

I respect him for that. And if he makes that cash all over again then I'd really laugh...

There's no point even owning 36 billion dollars. You couldn't spend it on yourself or even all your friends, loved ones, and acquaintances.

It's just winnings isn't it. He's the best, he's won. One of the greatest investors of all time. And he just gave it away.

I respect him for that. And if he makes that cash all over again then I'd really laugh...

Good point. The money becomes meaningless after a while, I could well understand if Buffet simply got bored.