House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
coolaftershave

Times - At Last, Voice Of Reason.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,...2241521,00.html

Can't make pub meet and not in UK. Rival HPC sites attending... Competition is good

for the cause as more chat places are available for joe public to accidentaly stumble accross

using google.

But in the intrest of the cause here is an important link that has to be forwarded to people.

Nice link. Yes, the mood has definitely changed, newspaper columnists are much more cautious than they used to be, even if they're sounding the alarm just yet. Only two years ago it was still insane the amount of "it will only ever go up" nonsense.

Er, its Merryn Somersed-Webb - no change there then. And its by no mans the first time she's been in the S Times expressing our view.

Keeping it real.

fp

So how can we know what is really happening with house prices? One way might be to look at a new index out from the property-search website home.co.uk. It is calculated using the asking prices of “the majority of the properties for sale on the open market in the UK at any one time” (about 600,000 houses and flats), regardless of when they first went up for sale.

The result? According to home.co.uk, London prices are not rising but have fallen 4.1% since June last year, while prices across the nation are down 1.9%.

The ODPM's stats are more in line with these figures.

JUst goes to show, the market is in the process of a crash and many are unaware, in denial, or are lying.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,...2241521,00.html

Can't make pub meet and not in UK. Rival HPC sites attending... Competition is good

for the cause as more chat places are available for joe public to accidentaly stumble accross

using google.

But in the intrest of the cause here is an important link that has to be forwarded to people.

Great post

Good article! I don't suddenly feel so fedup. By chance I’m going to view a flat tomorrow just looking really as I’ve never viewed a property before. I will write down my experience.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Good article! I don't suddenly feel so fedup. By chance I’m going to view a flat tomorrow just looking really as I’ve never viewed a property before. I will write down my experience.

I'd be interested in how you get on (I've never viewed a property either).

Ms Webb

Merryn_Somerset_Webb.jpg

Well this is my response to my first time viewing a property. The property in question was a top floor attic flat very similar to the one I currently rent (although this was smaller). Anyway the estate agent was a little late but friendly enough and showed us up to the flat.

I was surprised it’s a similar sized building to where I currently live and there are three separated flats within. This building had a total of seven flats some being studios.

The attic area was as I unfortunately thought had been separated into two flats. There was one kitchen/living room and a separate bedroom with an en-suite shower room “cupboard”. The estate agent happened to mention that the previous tenants did actually lay a double bed down as though it were an added selling point bizarre! A double bed would indeed cover the width of the bedroom floor.

The kitchen/living room was also very small and square shaped with a dubious laminated style wooden flooring, which to me felt uneven underfoot. The kitchen units were also in need of updating. The heating was electric, which from my experience is more expensive. The flat had a share of the freehold but also had a lease? They were awaiting details of the charges.

The asking price for the flat is £91950. It’s in a very poor area indeed. I’ve worked in this area many times and there is a major drug use problem. It used to be a very nice many moons ago until some bright spark decided it would be a good idea to start housing drug addicts in the area. Infact the difference between where I currently live couldn’t be more night and day and it’s only separated by a couple of miles.

I enquired as to whether the flats were owed or rented and he said they were a mix. I have the feeling many are let by private landlords (btler's) The estate agent also said the expected on how one bed flats and studios are selling very fast in the area.

Basically I wouldn’t wish to live there atall. I wouldn’t actually feel safe going out and I never enjoyed working there either. Infact at the bus station waiting for the bus home we had to move twice because of open drug use and drug taking.

It was still a worthwhile experience but also a rather depressing one at the same time. I checked nethouse prices and this exact flat last sold for £42950 in mid 2000.

A rise of £49000 114%.

Thankyou Mr Brown for your so-called miracle economy.

he he I just rang the estate agents concerned and told them of my disapointment! I said I'm not prepared to get involved in the current market and asked them to remove my details from their database. I even mentioned my findings on nethouse prices and the 114% price rise since mid 2000. I bet they hate those websites! :lol:

I'm sure they don't care but also I don't think it can hurt to let them know anyway!

he he I just rang the estate agents concerned and told them of my disapointment! I said I'm not prepared to get involved in the current market and asked them to remove my details from their database. I even mentioned my findings on nethouse prices and the 114% price rise since mid 2000. I bet they hate those websites! :lol:

I'm sure they don't care but also I don't think it can hurt to let them know anyway!

You're wrong actually. They love those web sites because it provides them with a tool to try to get vendors to set realistic prices. Even though I am renting I responded to one of the endless 'we're selling houses in your area, let us give you a free valuation' flyer a while ago. The bloke arrived with a bit of paper showing the sold prices of every house on the estate over the last year. He said 'one round the corner similar to this but with a bigger study went for blah blah'.

The thing they used to have on here for their own site (nethouseprices? adverts have gone (thank you Lord)) that said something like 'What Estate Agents don't want you to know' - childish piffle - of course they want you to know so they can get property on at (what they regard as) sensible prices.

You're wrong actually. They love those web sites because it provides them with a tool to try to get vendors to set realistic prices. Even though I am renting I responded to one of the endless 'we're selling houses in your area, let us give you a free valuation' flyer a while ago. The bloke arrived with a bit of paper showing the sold prices of every house on the estate over the last year. He said 'one round the corner similar to this but with a bigger study went for blah blah'.

The thing they used to have on here for their own site (nethouseprices? adverts have gone (thank you Lord)) that said something like 'What Estate Agents don't want you to know' - childish piffle - of course they want you to know so they can get property on at (what they regard as) sensible prices.

I don't know it didn't stop them listing the shoe box I saw this morning for £91950 up 114% since mid 2000. :blink: