House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AteMoose

Interest Rates

I am after historic interest rates for the uk and the us, preferably going back 100 years? There is alot of data out there where is the best place to get it?

Guest wrongmove

Bank of England - goes back a long long way http://213.225.136.206/mfsd/iadb/Repo.asp?Travel=NIxIRx

Fantastic link JJ - I have been looking for this data - cheers !!

So, as stated here before, today's rates are not "historically low" at all. It was the rates of the 70's and 80's that were historically high.

post-210-1151326337.png

The date axis is a bit messed up, but it starts from 1842 and goes to the present day. Note the huge lump during the 70s and 80s.

Historically, rates tend to fluctuate around 3-5 %. Sound familiar.......

Edited by wrongmove

But we still have no link to gold do we? Banks can still print money. That's the difference between now and the "old days".

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I am after historic interest rates for the uk and the us, preferably going back 100 years? There is alot of data out there where is the best place to get it?

Back to 1694

Interest Rate Back To 1694

I am also after the US rates.... a recent newpaper article stated the difference between Uk and US rates hasnt been so great for 22 years.

Edited by moosetea

Guest wrongmove

But we still have no link to gold do we? Banks can still print money. That's the difference between now and the "old days".

This is true - but UK dropped the gold standard back in 1931. But it is also a more complex argument.

My simple point was that current IRs are not historically low, but historically average.

Fantastic link JJ - I have been looking for this data - cheers !!

So, as stated here before, today's rates are not "historically low" at all. It was the rates of the 70's and 80's that were historically high.

The date axis is a bit messed up, but it starts from 1842 and goes to the present day. Note the huge lump during the 70s and 80s.

Historically, rates tend to fluctuate around 3-5 %. Sound familiar.......

Superb.

Second only to the "this time it's different" camp in stupidity are the people who assume things willll always stay the same.

(1) "Inflation and interest rates have been "low" for as long as we have records, except for the "blip" period of 30 years starting in the 60's."

or

(2) "Inflation and interest rates have been "low" for as long as we have records, except for the last 35-40 years when inflation became a major problem in the UK. There has been a short blip in hte last 5-10 years when interest rates have been abnormally low."

Which is correct?

Personally I think the truth is somewhere between the two, but I do have my suspicions that an independent BoE combined with lack of job security and globalisation / immigration, means that we may well be a lot closer to scenario 1 than many people seem to think.

FF

Guest wrongmove

But can they stay there if M4 money supply is not also historically average?

Wouldn't I love to know ! :P

Plus all other FTBs, no doubt. Impressive looking spike at the end there. It looks bound to end in tears. But I was saying that a couple of years ago.

Edited by wrongmove

Wouldn't I love to know ! :P

Plus all other FTBs, no doubt. Impressive looking spike at the end there. It looks bound to end in tears. But I was sayiong that a couple of years ago.

It is indeed an impressive spike. Lots of cheap money out there ready to be mopped up. The most dramatic spike is the HPI spike shown on the Nationwide Chart. Such a steep mountain and such a dizzying top. I wonder where it will go next? <_<

It is indeed an impressive spike. Lots of cheap money out there ready to be mopped up. The most dramatic spike is the HPI spike shown on the Nationwide Chart. Such a steep mountain and such a dizzying top. I wonder where it will go next? <_<

That money has to go somewhere. Place your bets where...