House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BandWagon

Tales Of A Landlady - Be A Power Dresser

I suppose the stereotypical image of the buy-to-let landlord ranges between a cheeky mid-thirties chappie with a ruthless understanding of rental yields, a sturdy older man with ditto, and an energetic woman with a ruthless grasp not only of yields but also of soft furnishings.

Her first London property was a small one-bedder in Belgravia, which she bought for £130,000 in 1996. She spent £30,000 doing it up and sold it on for £230,000. She currently has three flats, all in Belgravia, worth a total of £5m, which are rented out for £1,600, £1,000 and £875 per week respectively.

Astonishing that London property was so cheap in the mid 90's.

Anyway seems Rosie isn't too interested in the fact that the yield on these places is only 3.6% gross.

Isn't she lucky that prices only ever go up?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2098-2237479.html

this has NOTHING to do with any skill. nothing to do with brains.

this is to do with a government that refuses to build social housing and lenders that are keen to feed on an entire nation.

self styled greed is the carrot that is never reached by the masses. the stick is all you see in the main.

this has NOTHING to do with any skill. nothing to do with brains.

this is to do with a government that refuses to build social housing and lenders that are keen to feed on an entire nation.

self styled greed is the carrot that is never reached by the masses. the stick is all you see in the main.

No skill? LOL

She did the flats in the style of her intended upmarket clients, even lived in them for a while to make sure they were ok. Sounds like she did her research on areas and her clients needs and its paid off.

In 1996 the sentiment was very much against property as it had just dropped from the 1988 highs. Anyone buying in 96 was pretty astute but they were taking a risk at the time. With hindsight it paid off.

Not bad yield...

Just about to rent a 1.6m quid flat (at today's exchange rates) for 46,000 a year. Less than 3% yield. (and, yes, that price is a recent transaction, so not a EA valuation)

3000 square feet, Peak district in HK. Amazing to think HK is now far better value than London (I've seen what I could get for 900 pounds a week in London, and it doesn't compare at all)

(and, no, I wouldn't be better off buying, my career doesn't fit being an owner/occupier)

Not bad yield...

Just about to rent a 1.6m quid flat (at today's exchange rates) for 46,000 a year. Less than 3% yield. (and, yes, that price is a recent transaction, so not a EA valuation)

3000 square feet, Peak district in HK. Amazing to think HK is now far better value than London (I've seen what I could get for 900 pounds a week in London, and it doesn't compare at all)

(and, no, I wouldn't be better off buying, my career doesn't fit being an owner/occupier)

Your point being/?

Edited by The Colour

Your point being/?

That silly low yields are not just a UK thing, this is a worldwide asset bubble. I was being sarcastic about the yield being good (mortgage rates in HK are about double the rental yield...)

To buy this flat on an IO would be about 88,000 pounds a year