House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
teachertim

Thinking Of Buying This......what Does Anyone Thi

I'm thinking of buying this house, is very nice inside and has been well looked after. They paid £90k for it in 2003, now on for £142k. Area is great, very country area close to leeds city centre. My onyl worry is that the floor boards in the upstaris bedroom are a bit uneaven - so much so there is a positive slope to the master bedroom. This is an old mining area, the coal board apparently spent lots of money in the region to sort out the old shafts and drifts left by the industry. The property was replasted in 2001 and there are no visble cracks in the plaster work or on exterior walls. Does anyone with any knowledge know if this is going to be a 'safe' house, i.e it not going to fall down.

Would love to do a full survey but it going to cost in region of £900 which i cannot afford, so was going to go for homebuyers survey but have a feeling this would be foolish. Don't know what to do, it's a great house just worried it going to fall down !

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-122...y&ep=via_sl

You want to spend over £140,000 on a property yet are worried to spend £900 on a full structural survey??? The asking price might be low for the UK but it is still over 50% higher than they paid for it three years ago. Ask them directly what justifies this type of increase. If you want to buy it, don't go over the £120,000 limit. Why pay stamp duty?

Good luck

You would be mad not to get a structural survey, given the slope of the bedroom and whatnot.

Anything the survey finds wrong can be used as a baragining tool so you would probably get your money back anyway.

Let us know how you get on.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Would love to do a full survey but it going to cost in region of £900 which i cannot afford

If it is a very old property it could be historical settlement known as rotation of the foundations. I would seek a civil engineers report rather than using a surveyor. If doubtful the surveyor would probably recommend you have a civil engineers report carried out in any case. The cost to me in 2001 was £350 + vat. The great thing was my purchaser`s surveyor after reading the report had no doubts in recommending the property. Putting the cart before the horse could pay off.

My onyl worry is that the floor boards in the upstaris bedroom are a bit uneaven

well that and a small rise in interest rates....

pretty soon you wont care about the floorboards. you will just want a way out.

Guest grumpy-old-man

I'm thinking of buying this house, is very nice inside and has been well looked after. They paid £90k for it in 2003, now on for £142k. Area is great, very country area close to leeds city centre. My onyl worry is that the floor boards in the upstaris bedroom are a bit uneaven - so much so there is a positive slope to the master bedroom. This is an old mining area, the coal board apparently spent lots of money in the region to sort out the old shafts and drifts left by the industry. The property was replasted in 2001 and there are no visble cracks in the plaster work or on exterior walls. Does anyone with any knowledge know if this is going to be a 'safe' house, i.e it not going to fall down.

Would love to do a full survey but it going to cost in region of £900 which i cannot afford, so was going to go for homebuyers survey but have a feeling this would be foolish. Don't know what to do, it's a great house just worried it going to fall down !

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-122...y&ep=via_sl

nice looking property Tim.

we bought in Wakefield & the various searches came back to tell us that it was built on top of a mine & the old pit entrance was oor driveway :o I was a bit concerned but after speaking with solicitor & a few locals, they just laughed it off. House was a new build & we stayed 2 years & everything was ok.

Aparantly most of West Yorkshire is built over pits :o

ps - we prefer the older victorian houses & will hold out for one of these in 1-2 years time hopefully. We will never buy a new build again!!

good luck

From Nationwide House Price Calculator:

Results:-

A property located in Yorkshire & Humberside which was valued at £90000 in Q4 of 2003, would be worth approximately £115520 in Q1 of 2006.

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Why not wait until the home reports come in if you don't want to spend money on a survey? [sB]

Then you'll have no choice -- the cost of the survey will be built into the price. Since the buyer is the only source of funds, it's the buyer who will end up paying for it.

My colleague at work has a 2 bed terrace in Methley. She tried to sell it summer 2004 for around £120k and could not sell and some similar propertys were starting to be reduced. Again, personally I think £142 is too much!

Guest grumpy-old-man

From Nationwide House Price Calculator:

Results:-

A property located in Yorkshire & Humberside which was valued at £90000 in Q4 of 2003, would be worth approximately £115520 in Q1 of 2006.

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

errr, just tried my last 3 sales/purchases & the results were all wrong...by a mile

all of our last sales/purchases were normal, not under or over valued just current market at the time.

errr, just tried my last 3 sales/purchases & the results were all wrong...by a mile

all of our last sales/purchases were normal, not under or over valued just current market at the time.

errr, OK, I'll take your word for that. :P

Guest grumpy-old-man

errr, OK, I'll take your word for that. :P

sorry johnny, didn't mean to sound ar4ey :)

it just didn't work for my properties...... by a mile.

sorry johnny, didn't mean to sound ar4ey :)

it just didn't work for my properties...... by a mile.

that's OK, there is significant variation on HPI within Y&H over last few years, ie. between north & west yorkshire, but the nationwide calculator has been pretty close to the mark for the properties in which I have been interested...on this basis £140k+ seems pretty steep for the property shown above(?)

Guest grumpy-old-man

that's OK, there is significant variation on HPI within Y&H over last few years, ie. between north & west yorkshire, but the nationwide calculator has been pretty close to the mark for the properties in which I have been interested...on this basis £140k+ seems pretty steep for the property shown above(?)

possibly, but I don't know that area. I know my immediate areas very well...

we are following some properties now, heres one the wife likes:

2 bed mid terraced 164k:

how much

we actually need a 3 bed & I really want a semi but this would do nicely with a loft conversion. The seller informs us that it's reasonably priced :o:lol:

the place is empty, no data on it so she must have loads of equity in it & she lives in york with boyfriend, they are selling both their houses & emigrating.

possibly, but I don't know that area. I know my immediate areas very well...

we are following some properties now, heres one the wife likes:

2 bed mid terraced 164k:

how much

we actually need a 3 bed & I really want a semi but this would do nicely with a loft conversion. The seller informs us that it's reasonably priced :o:lol:

the place is empty, no data on it so she must have loads of equity in it & she lives in york with boyfriend, they are selling both their houses & emigrating.

Must admit that I don't know the area either...all I can say is that it seems only yesterday that my parents sold a 4 bed detached in HG2 for < £150k :o

Guest grumpy-old-man

Must admit that I don't know the area either...all I can say is that it seems only yesterday that my parents sold a 4 bed detached in HG2 for < £150k :o

hey, what's with the tv link from the 70's then ?

I see that's where the pic came from.

hey, what's with the tv link from the 70's then ?

I see that's where the pic came from.

Survivors was 30 years ahead of its time. Just buy the DVDs :D

You guys are a great, decided to go for the full survey, the current buyers only moved in in dec 2003 so going to ask if we can see a copy of theirs first - then do a full structural. So, next question, does anyone know any decent independent surveyors in leeds area who are cheap ? Mentioned to the agent we might do a full structural and they tried to talk us out of it so think it is defo a wise option to go independent.

The people in it have spent a fortune renovating it and the location is amazing, as i said before. I think the money is about right, but maybe i am wrong !

Guest grumpy-old-man

Survivors was 30 years ahead of its time. Just buy the DVDs :D

god I nearly choked there....buy...I work in IT, torrent is all I understand....it's the law ;):ph34r:

I miss all the old comedy tv progs though...I can see me pulling them all down onto a huge dvd when I retire.....& watch them with the wife....now that's a good plan, some would say boring/easy pleased, but fine by me, simple pleasures eh ?

apologies Tim, we have drifted slightly from your original post.

"So, next question, does anyone know any decent independent surveyors in leeds area who are cheap "

unfortunatly, these 2 words are best not used together in my experience but I know you are trying to keep costs down. Try to get a good recommend from here.

I know a very good structural engineer (not personally), but have used them myself, family business, but they are in Wakefield area. I'm sure you will be able to get someone closer to you....

If the agent doesn't want you to get a full survey, sounds a bit suspicious to me, however they never want you to do that as it will mean knocking the price down, takes time & will cost them a few quid in commision.

Edited by grumpy-old-man

total naivety coming out now, is a structural engineer the same as a surveyor ? This is a fooking nightmare, don't know where to start !!!!!! While we are at it, need a good conveyancer too, about to instruct reeds rains own one but every bone in my body is telling me nto to be don't know who else to use !

god I nearly choked there....buy...I work in IT, torrent is all I understand....it's the law ;):ph34r:

S'OK, I work in finance, 90 assignats or mandats means nothing to me. ;):ph34r:

total naivety coming out now, is a structural engineer the same as a surveyor ? This is a fooking nightmare, don't know where to start !!!!!! While we are at it, need a good conveyancer too, about to instruct reeds rains own one but every bone in my body is telling me nto to be don't know who else to use !

If you are feeling like that, take a deep breath, sit back, and come back in 12 months time. :D

Approach the vendor and explain your concerns about the increase in price, the area and the 2001 replastering and suggest that they pay for or go halves on a full survey.

The mining report will show you whether there is any major cause for concern as it will show all shafts and workings in the surounding area. If there are workings very close, approach the coal board who will have records of what, if any remedial work has been done and what guarantees \ insurance is in place.

If you want to take it an extra step, buy a book on residential house surveys. Believe it or not, the major defects that will cause you hassle hassle hassle are fairly easy to spot once you know what you are looking for.

Just as you pay a valuer to value a property when applying for a mortgage yet you can establish the price yourself using rightmove, nethouseprices and a couple of calls, so it is with surveys.