House Price Crash Forum

I'm Emigrating Due To Hpi

HOLA441

I think the binge drinking is a british hobby..."WHAT U LOOKIN AT MATE" ahh such green and pleasant land....

I see two effects going on here:
  • Binge drinking – Long working hours, short pub opening hours, uninteresting environment/social life, alcohol promotions, pubs playing music loud to prevent chit-chat and maximise profits.
  • Vomiting/pissing/littering on the streets – people not caring about their environment. This is very common in big anonymous cities and very much a product of the ‘somebody else will take care of it’ mentality. “Take photographs, leave footprints” was a something I learnt during my days as a cadet, a notion probably totally alien to most people.

Both effects can be confused with a ‘culture’ as they aren’t necessarily tied to class or social level (i.e. stockbrokers binge drink). To this day I still haven’t figured out why Germans handle their drink so well.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

In Canada, we DON'T binge drink / vomit on the streets. Not sure about the Scandinavian countries.

Thanks for the confirmation that Canadians dont act like us in little Britain binge drinking and assaulting people I find that even without drink British society is just aggressive/hostile

I dont think this is confined to one section of society or another its just the whole of society that seems to accept these values.

When I go to visit my friends in Greece it would be frowned on to be drunk in public just not acceptable also to be aggressive and attack another person would be a no no

Edited by bigben

HOLA443

Obviously it’s all subjective and depends on personal circumstances

For me the ‘quality of life’ metrics that I currently care about, Germany does pretty well. I don’t like to compete for resources, jobs, women… I would rather move to a place where these things are plentiful. The “just work a bit harder” mentality doesn’t appeal when you’re working a 55 hour week (in London) and your boss chimes you in for being late or taking a whole hour for lunch.

Also while the grass is very green in Germany, don’t expect the Germans to notice:

“But you can buy this big house for 3xaverage local salary”, I say

“What’s so great about that?” I hear, or even worse “You’re so British, all you ever think about are houses!”

Clearly these people haven’t had the benefit of a buy-property-at-all-costs upbringing. :P

But the answer is right here, in UK, under our noses.

Where I live I can cycle to the shops, drive on roads which rarely have traffic problems and, to date, have not been subjected to the effects of binge drinking, yobbishness or road rage.

There are many towns and villages, in UK, where everyday people enjoy a quiet and crime free life.

If you must quote inner London, some horrible 'new' town or former industrial wasteland then of course you will be reaching for the passport.

Stop running the country down and look a bit deeper within the UK for some very nice places to live, where the air is clean and the quality of life is high.

They certainly do exist!!!!

HOLA444

Where I live I can cycle to the shops, drive on roads which rarely have traffic problems and, to date, have not been subjected to the effects of binge drinking, yobbishness or road rage.

There are many towns and villages, in UK, where everyday people enjoy a quiet and crime free life.

If you must quote inner London, some horrible 'new' town or former industrial wasteland then of course you will be reaching for the passport.

Stop running the country down and look a bit deeper within the UK for some very nice places to live, where the air is clean and the quality of life is high.

I cant afford them !

what jobs are there ?

I know some nice villages in Dorset where I grew could never move back there as the local jobs are low paid and the house prices are sky high second home owners mainly

Im not running the country down Im stating fact my international measures UK is ROUGH

Crime Statistics > Assaults (per capita) by country

#8 United Kingdom 7.45959 per 1,000 people

#26 Germany 1.4183 per 1,000 people

#45 Greece 0.311399 per 1,000 people

Crime Statistics > Adults prosecuted by country

#3 United Kingdom 1,504,730

Crime Statistics > Car thefts by country

#2 United Kingdom 338,796

#11 Germany 83,063

#29 Greece 8,486

Crime Statistics > Total crimes (per capita) by country

#6 United Kingdom 85.5517 per 1,000 people

#11 Germany 75.9996 per 1,000 people

#45 Greece 9.6347 per 1,000 people

Edited by bigben

HOLA445

In order to find out if the grass really is greener 'over there' you need to go and take a look for yourself.

If it is then you're a winner.

If it isn't then you return with a rekindled love and respect for your homeland and a determination to make Britain great again. In this situation you are also a winner as you realised the error of your thoughts through the process of enlightenment.

If neither of the above two outcomes apply to you, then you are probably just a grumpy old sod doomed to a Victor Meldrew existance.

This was exactly my experience. I worked abroad, in the Netherlands and then Oman, for three years.

I had a good time, saved a lot of money, and firmly established that I was no expat - I'm a Brit who belongs in Britain.

I love travelling and visiting exotic places, trying out the local language, but I also love coming home, and being part of my own community, involved in society.

Now I think I appreciate the UK far more than if I had stayed here all along.

Of course coming home with a huge wad, buying in 1996 at the bottom of the last HP crash, and now earning a bundle, has all helped give me the rosy view!

HOLA446

I met some people at a friend's house at the weekend who hail from my home town. We naturally got to talking about how the place is now (wasteland suburb near Heathrow Airport). One of them has their child in a school I am very familiar with - I was astonished to be told he is the only white/English child in the class and that, as a result, he has endured bullying from kids from much larger ethnic groups.

You can call me a racist and anything else you like to throw - I couldn't care less by the way - but what I will say is that this is what Enoch Powell predicted. English people have a low birth rate and immigrants a much higher one. With the current uncontrolled immigration - this country will have very little English people in it in 50 years.

Fine if that is what you want - have to say it's a bloody shame. A reasonable level of immigration is fine - good even, the multi-cultural thing etc - but when an indigenous population is overwhelmed by immigrants there is only ever one result - and that is trouble.

Show me anywhere in the world where this isn't the case.

Totally agree and like some have said here, it is reaching a point for many where the UK is no longer feeling like 'home' as we (the white/english) become the minority in a growing number of areas in the UK.

This is partly why there is a 'white flight' movement to the South West which is currently fairly untouched my immigration although that is bound to change.

Controlled immigration is fine as the numbers can be integrated successfully. This government pursues a 'no limits' immigration policy which is changing this country forever.

I predict that many more of my generation will leave in the future as the UK will feel less and less like 'home' so there will be nothing lost by moving.

Good for you! The villages and towns that you are talking of are predominantly possesed by the baby boomer generation, the prices of housing now prohibitive to the younger generations which now have to move to the larger towns and cities to get work.