House Price Crash Forum

Polish "workers" Sleeping In Squats Or In Their Cars.

HOLA441

a report on skynews channel :blink:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,15410-1225354,00.html

Polish Left Homeless in UK

Updated: 11:52, Thursday June 22, 2006

If the headlines are to be believed, the UK is desperately in need of more Polish immigrants to do the jobs that the Brits aren't snapping up.

But, as Laurence Lee reports, many Poles are let down when they arrive in the UK.

The positive image about Poles and other immigrants from the newly enlarged EU is one of a British economy desperately crying out for these model workers.

However the Sky Report found a very different picture for some of the young people who have come to the UK on the promise of work.

Increasing numbers are sleeping on the streets and homeless organisations are reporting record pressures on their services.

Some believe that if nothing is done about this problem now, we will create a terrible problem - particularly for vulnerable British citizens who need these services.

If you would like to comment on this story, email at news@sky.com or text on 84501.

HOLA442

The obvious assertion is that in those industry where migrant wages are now determining/undermining general wage levels more UK citizens will be living in squats and sleeping in cars in order to compete for the falling number of jobs.

All very predictable. There will be a lot more vulernable British citizens needing services when they can no longer sustain their rent/mortgage obligations.

HOLA443

If you listen to some of the more....er....right wing posters on HPC, house prices have clearly risen, and will continue to do so,

because of Polish immigrants coming over to "lifeboat britian" with there £10 life savings and buying up our houses (maybe 17000 of them get a shared mortgage :D ).

Its a total nonsense. This article, tragic as it is, serves to remind us how misguided the BNP faction is.

HOLA444

This story is not suprising IMO, as I imagine the herd mentality of East Europeans (like any country) is boosted by illusions of uk streets being paved with gold & the great motivator of escaping the 20%+ unemployment at home.

The amounts of E.Europeans I see in Chester is amazing & growing IMO. A Polish Deli has just opened up here. The deli in Crewe was cited on the Newsnight immigration tv prog a few months ago as a significant turning point, as in Crewe Polish population was believed to have reached 6%.

BBC north west tonight news (usually sh!t) did a weak report a week or so ago on 3 E. European workers in Blackpool. It was almost like a pr / positive spin training film with no reference to the downside on the effects on the local or migrant uk population who would often fill these jobs in seaside towns.

I guess taxpayers end up paying for this cheap immigrant labour issue, as low income uk workers are displaced onto the dole, as they most likely cannot afford to leave the country to look for work elsewhere.

This sky article appears poor jounalism, not quoting which homeless org is saying this.

HOLA445
HOLA446

If you listen to some of the more....er....right wing posters on HPC, house prices have clearly risen, and will continue to do so,

because of Polish immigrants coming over to "lifeboat britian" with there £10 life savings and buying up our houses (maybe 17000 of them get a shared mortgage :D ).

Its a total nonsense. This article, tragic as it is, serves to remind us how misguided the BNP faction is.

Their situation is not really all that 'tragic' as you call it. Most of these people are young so they can tough it out easy enough. Most of them probably have families back in Poland so if they need to they can always go back there. I have been in similar situation, doing crap jobs in an unfriendly country trying to escape unemployment in the early 1990s and I'd be lying if I said it was tragic.

HOLA447

Its far from tragic, there are plenty of jobs, the only slovakian i know in this situation was kicked out by his gf because he is an alcoholic and beat her up. My slovakian girlfriend works 100 hours a week, and that includes two high paid translation jobs. I agree Many polish workers have families back home, but they are hard workers, and many are saving serious amounts of money by living together...

HOLA448

Had a conversation with a farm manager last week when visiting a farm in Kent.

"We're killing the poles"

"What"

"They do four 12 hour days then 2 days off and then another 4 12hr days switching early's to late's. They just sleep on the 1st day off, so that don't count."

(I worked out that its actually a 60 hr week averaged over a 2 week period).

"Where do they live".

"In caravans in fields all around here you will find them."

"They get health problems cause off the hrs and hostile working conditions"

(Working inside a chiller or even a freezer)

"They get better money than they can get from home so thats the way it is"

Oh

Looking at some Poles going through some bins I commented!.

"Perks off the job!"

"They call it bin diving"

"Right"

The farm supplies a major supermarket that can afford to pay decently but won't pay. Slavery is back through the back door and the corporations are lovin it, lovin it, lovin it. And remember, every little helps'. :lol:

Edited by deano

HOLA449

Local rag up here in Edinburgh ran a piece recently about how the homeless shelters were grateful for the number of Polish immigrants will to do voluntary work for them.

They were working as translators as the hostels/shelters are full of Polish people.

HOLA4410

News piece on Radio 4 this morning from Slough on the effect of the large numbers of Eastern Europeans moving in.

Many living in HIMO that's how they help prop up the BTL market.

Teachers admitting that resources are taken from native pupils and spent on incomers.

In terms of "community cohesion" the unemployment rate amoungst Pakistanis was increasing as people employed Eastern Europeans instead. The phrase used was "taking their jobs" :lol:

HOLA4411

News piece on Radio 4 this morning from Slough on the effect of the large numbers of Eastern Europeans moving in.

Teachers admitting that resources are taken from native pupils and spent on incomers.

In terms of "community cohesion" the unemployment rate amoungst Pakistanis was increasing as people employed Eastern Europeans instead. The phrase used was "taking their jobs" :lol:

Slough is always going to be like this :) whatever immegrants are left their next.

HOLA4412

I heard that piece on radio 4 as well. What staggered me most was that (if I remember correctly) the Government figures for migrants (in Slough) was 300. However, Slough councils figures were 9000! Bit of a difference there.

HOLA4413

I heard that piece on radio 4 as well. What staggered me most was that (if I remember correctly) the Government figures for migrants (in Slough) was 300. However, Slough councils figures were 9000! Bit of a difference there.

I believe the phrase is "Not fit for purpose".

HOLA4414

Some say since labour have come in that the amount of legal and illegal net migration to the UK is 500,000+ your mad if you don't think this has an effect. Even if they live 10 to a house that is taking 50,000 houses a year from FTB to BTL's. By rights the UK should be building 200,000+ extra houses (on top of what we build now) to support this inwards migration.

HOLA4415

The real impact of immigration is not yet known.

Simple facts are that wages are pushed down due to cheap labour, forcing many UK employees into lower paid employment at best, and most often unemployment that is financed at great cost to the taxpayer. It is well documented that unemployed parents often end up with the ofspring also being long term unemployed, the chains of poverty as it is known.

So for sure, the Chancellor is rubbing his hands as he keeps wage inflation down, and pushes up inflation on everything he choses not to report on such as Fuel, and Housing.

The long term future in the UK is bleak, the liberal leftie pinkies will be long gone overseas with a nice big fat pension courtesy of the British Taxpayer who will be left to pick up the fragments that will be left over along with the chaos and destruction.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

There is an interesting item on the BBC news website today.

'Mr Field urges a proper debate on the issue before the BNP exploits it. UK politicians are "living on borrowed time" on immigration, a former Labour minister has said. Frank Field questioned whether current record levels of migration into Britain were "sustainable". '

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5119892.stm

This is the more rational argument against the current open door immigration policy and addresses many peoples concerns. I've always had some respect for Frank Fields. He seems genuine and not afraid to speak out.

'"This is the most massive transformation of our population. Do we just merely accept this as another form of globalisation? That it doesn't matter where you are, or that you belong to a country and have roots? That we are all just following the jobs?" Mr Field told the BBC News Website. '

HOLA4418

"Sod Britain, I'm considering emigration & looking abroad for property and a better standard of living"

"Sod Poland, I'm considering emigration & looking abroad for work and a better standard of living"

The difference between the above?

The poles / east europeans have actually acted and are doing this :P

Fair play to them I say.

MC.

HOLA4419

'Mr Field urges a proper debate on the issue before the BNP exploits it. UK politicians are "living on borrowed time" on immigration, a former Labour minister has said. Frank Field questioned whether current record levels of migration into Britain were "sustainable". '

This is the more rational argument against the current open door immigration policy and addresses many peoples concerns. I've always had some respect for Frank Fields. He seems genuine and not afraid to speak out.

'"This is the most massive transformation of our population. Do we just merely accept this as another form of globalisation? That it doesn't matter where you are, or that you belong to a country and have roots? That we are all just following the jobs?" Mr Field told the BBC News Website. '

Why is it that the BNP are deemed to "exploit" the current situation? Not as thought they've just jumped on the anti immigration bandwagon is it?

Still kudos to Mr Field for having the courage to raise the issue - can't be easy when you belong to a party which has tried to sell the multi cult experiment to the electorate for decades.

HOLA4420

from the article:

At the time the UK government predicted 13,000 workers a year from the new EU member countries would move to the UK for work, but the actual figure of registered workers was about 329,000 in 18 months.

According to the latest available figures, for 2004, the overall migration picture saw 359,000 people leave the UK while 582,000 settled in the UK. The figures do not include illegal migrants.

they honestly expected only 13000 ! :blink::blink:

HOLA4421

The only reason why the government says we need more new build housing in the south east is because of the projected rise in population in the next 20 years - but this increase particularly in London will be due almost entirely to immigration from overseas. Most of the recent boom in many parts of central London is due to foreigners buying not primarily UK citizens.

How about banning non British nationals from owning property in the country - and making all those millons on benefits do the work which the recent immigrants from eastern europe are doing. Our population would fall - and presumably a house price crash would follow (allowing ordinary folks to buy a property!).